Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Monday Aug 20 Tweets & Info

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    So does Sanchez fumble when Mario Williams blindsides him, or does he manage to hold onto the ball?
    Williams prolly won't be coming from the blind side. They will have him on our weaker RT. I'd be happy to see him lined up on Brick.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    A QB has to get the ball out quick when he has to but ALSO has to hold the ball to make a play when he has time. The skill is recognizing the two situations. A QB that gets the ball out fast no matter what all the time gets you a check down charlie like Sanchez is now.

All of this gets worse and worse because the Jets still have ZERO deep passing game. When a team does not respect the deep ball they jump all over the short passing game and make jag defenders into all stars.

If the Jets can't figure out how to go deep and make teams pay a couple times a game they will fail badly in the other areas of the offense.
    Agreed. Who was going to go deep for the Jets on Saturday night? They had Jordan White and Patrick Turner at WR with Sanchez. Not exactly a couple of burners. Giants were rushing 4 and dropping 7, there was no one on that was on that field capable of beating that coverage.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by brex View Post
    With our WR crew, who can't get separation...this usually means checkdown. Doesn't this board usually kill Sanchez when he checks down?
    Are all of u folks defending Mark Sanchez actually comparing what's happening to our starting QB with what is happening to a guy (Tebow) who should never be allowed under center at the NFL Level.

Say it ain't so folks.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Then you want every throw to be 8 yards or less than.

This "get the ball out quicker" argument ignores the glaring fact that quicker throws means shorter patterns, more defenders stacked in the box, and no big plays.
    good point ...

Veteran
    I am guessing that a contributing factor of this holding-on-to-the-ball business is because the QB are working with second string WRs who can't get separation. The problem is exacerbated with the pocket collapsing throwing the QB's off their mechanics and getting gun shy. If you know your pocket is going to collapse it doesn't really encourage good habits are regards seeing the field or allowing a play to develop.

There's enough blame for everyone here, why stop at one player.

Anyone remember Sanchez's first regular season game in 2009 vs. Houston?

I know some of you do. Sanchez had EXCELLENT footwork in that game: dodging sacks like it was nothing. I think he had a ridiculous stat line like he was 12/15 on 3rd down for 145 yards and a touchdown.

He was avoiding the rush AND keeping his eyes downfield at the same time. He was awesome that game....and yes even with a pick 6 for a touchdown.

So what happened since then? He needs to go look at that game tape and get some of that moxie back.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    There doesn't seem to be an option. Putting a TE with Hunter at all times might give Sanchez time to whip out short passes but is one 8 yard pass every set of downs such a bad thing? Surely we can game plan to get the other 2 yards on the two remaining downs.
    But Sanchez only completes 50% of those 8 yd passes. Sparanos o-lines were a disaster in Miami ,last year they gave up over 50 sacks. Sparano was the wrong man for this job. I also hate that in the true test year for Sanchez we make him learn a new system,most new systems take a team 1/2 season to become comfortable. Plus from what I have seen from sparano in Miami his system sxcks

Quote Originally Posted by eifmp View Post

I know some of you do. Sanchez had EXCELLENT footwork in that game: dodging sacks like it was nothing. I think he had a ridiculous stat line like he was 12/15 on 3rd down for 145 yards and a touchdown.

He was avoiding the rush AND keeping his eyes downfield at the same time. He was awesome that game....and yes even with a pick 6 for a touchdown.

So what happened since then? He needs to go look at that game tape and get some of that moxie back.
    Rex and Shotty cut his balls off trying to make him into a classic pocket QB instead of developing his native talents and instincts. Simple as that...

Cimini: Three things we learned on Day 26

Three things we learned on Day 26

August, 20, 2012 Aug 20

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Observations from Monday:

1. Austin Howard isn't a serious threat to Wayne Hunter: If he was, he'd have received more than four or five reps Monday with the starters. Obviously, that could change as the week goes on -- still four practices before Sunday night's game against the Panthers -- but the vibe I get is that the organization still thinks Hunter is the best right tackle on the roster. That, of course, doesn't preclude them from importing a right tackle.

2. Tony Sparano is a patient man. It belies his on-the-field demeanor -- i.e. barking at players -- but the new offensive boss actually seemed rather calm when questioned about the brutal start by his unit. He certainly was a lot calmer than than call-in yahoos who already have decided the Jets have no chance in 2012. It's a smart approach by Sparano. If he's too critical and starts getting hot and bothered, it conveys a bad message to his players and the public -- panic. Remember, they're learning a new system and there will be growing pains. Sparano must be mindful of that while maintaining a sense of accountability.

3. Tone Time is approaching. Injured WR Santonio Holmes (ribs) wore a red jersey and participated in positional drills, running full speed and catching passes. That's a positive development for the offense. Rex Ryan didn't rule out Holmes for Sunday night, but I'd be surprised if he plays. Why risk it? As much as they'd like to see him out there, stabilizing the Kiddie Corps of receivers, the Jets have to realize the most important thing is opening day.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter

Quote Originally Posted by eifmp View Post

Bad coaching and a flawed developmental philosophy happened.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Three things we learned on Day 26

August, 20, 2012 Aug 20

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Observations from Monday:

1. Austin Howard isn't a serious threat to Wayne Hunter: If he was, he'd have received more than four or five reps Monday with the starters. Obviously, that could change as the week goes on -- still four practices before Sunday night's game against the Panthers -- but the vibe I get is that the organization still thinks Hunter is the best right tackle on the roster. That, of course, doesn't preclude them from importing a right tackle.

2. Tony Sparano is a patient man. It belies his on-the-field demeanor -- i.e. barking at players -- but the new offensive boss actually seemed rather calm when questioned about the brutal start by his unit. He certainly was a lot calmer than than call-in yahoos who already have decided the Jets have no chance in 2012. It's a smart approach by Sparano. If he's too critical and starts getting hot and bothered, it conveys a bad message to his players and the public -- panic. Remember, they're learning a new system and there will be growing pains. Sparano must be mindful of that while maintaining a sense of accountability.

3. Tone Time is approaching. Injured WR Santonio Holmes (ribs) wore a red jersey and participated in positional drills, running full speed and catching passes. That's a positive development for the offense. Rex Ryan didn't rule out Holmes for Sunday night, but I'd be surprised if he plays. Why risk it? As much as they'd like to see him out there, stabilizing the Kiddie Corps of receivers, the Jets have to realize the most important thing is opening day.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter
    Didn't go to the link but Cimini layed off the Jets tonight. Maybe he didn't want to add to the sky is falling in Jets land and most media outlets..

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    I am guessing that a contributing factor of this holding-on-to-the-ball business is because the QB are working with second string WRs who can't get separation. The problem is exacerbated with the pocket collapsing throwing the QB's off their mechanics and getting gun shy. If you know your pocket is going to collapse it doesn't really encourage good habits are regards seeing the field or allowing a play to develop.

There's enough blame for everyone here, why stop at one player.
    Well said.

Anyone who blames the QB for this offense shortcomings clearly does not understand how the game of football is played.

If you're going to put the blame on someone for this catastrophe of an offensive unit put it on who really deserves it. Mike Tannenbaum.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by auctionking View Post
    But Sanchez only completes 50% of those 8 yd passes. Sparanos o-lines were a disaster in Miami ,last year they gave up over 50 sacks. Sparano was the wrong man for this job. I also hate that in the true test year for Sanchez we make him learn a new system,most new systems take a team 1/2 season to become comfortable. Plus from what I have seen from sparano in Miami his system sxcks
    Do you think that falls entirely on Sparano? After all, Sparano was not even the OC in Miami.

Wouldn't you have to look at the OL coach?

OL coach in Miami last season: Dave DeGuglielmo.

OL coach for the Jets this season: Dave DeGuglielmo.

Coincidence?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Agreed. Good call. Its amazing how Sanchez' supporters do not see that .
    You guys do, of course, realize that anticipation is a direct side effect of continuity, chemistry, and timing, right?

Jets Insider VIP
    Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
    Gary Myers: "Rex Ryan picked a good year to declare himself out of the Super Bowl guarantee business."

LOL.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Do you think that falls entirely on Sparano? After all, Sparano was not even the OC in Miami.

Coincidence?
    I like Miami's current OL coach.

I am solely basing that on Hard Knocks, but still.

Manish Mehta @MMehtaNYDN
    Gary Myers: "Rex Ryan picked a good year to declare himself out of the Super Bowl guarantee business."

LOL.

Yeah, the Jets are already mathematically eliminated based solely on 2 preseason games and the "Tebow circus"

Coincidence?
    He was the assistant offensive line coach for the GIants in 2007 when they won the super bowl.

Coincidence? Wait, what?

I assume you will also blame DeGuglielmo for Hunter sucking last year?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Yeah, the Jets are already mathematically eliminated based solely on 2 preseason games and the "Tebow circus"
    How sensitive are you?

Can you not find humor in anything?

And who said anything about being mathematically eliminated?
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    He was the assistant offensive line coach for the GIants in 2007 when they won the super bowl.

Coincidence? Wait, what?

I assume you will also blame DeGuglielmo for Hunter sucking last year?
    You don't suppose Pat Flaherty, who's been the Giants OL coach since 2004, had something to do with the Giants success?