Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two things

Two things

1. People are and have been complaining about Woody Johnson and his need to own the back pages. Didn't Sonny Werblin do that too by signing Joe Namath to a huge contract? Nobody complains about that, so why are people complaining now?

2. You know who else has a ****ty O-line? The Pittsburgh Steelers. You don't hear their fans complaining about it, do you?

Jets Insider VIP
    Not going to answer No. 1 because it's irrelevant.

As for your second question, no, I don't hear their fans complaining about it. You know why? Because the Steelers were competent enough to realize a problem early and spend their first two draft selections trying to shore it up. DeCastro and Adams will be damn good football players. Not to mention, Big Ben doesn't need an elite o-line to succeed. Holding onto the ball too long and making plays is what he does.

Too bad I can't say the same about Hunter or Robert Griffin, our late-round attempt at trying to fix the OL, or Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post

As for your second question, no, I don't hear their fans complaining about it. You know why? Because the Steelers were competent enough to realize a problem early and spend their first two draft selections trying to shore it up. DeCastro and Adams will be damn good football players. Not to mention, Big Ben doesn't need an elite o-line to succeed. Holding onto the ball too long and making plays is what he does.

Too bad I can't say the same about Hunter or Robert Griffin, our late-round attempt at trying to fix the OL, or Sanchez.
    Rumors are that DeCastro has been soft in training camp.

And answer number 1. Humor me.

I think that Joe Namath was a slightly better QB than Tim Tebow.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Rumors are that DeCastro has been soft in training camp.

And answer number 1. Humor me.
    I would take a "soft" DeCastro over Hunter. Wouldn't you?

The question has no bearing on the problems at hand right now. I'm not a Woody hater like so many around here. Personally, I think the conspiracy with the back pages and all that is extremely trite. However, fans have every right to question his (and Tannenbaum's) moves as of late. Namely: Tebow, Tim.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have been a winning franchise and have the SB's to prove it

1. People are and have been complaining about Woody Johnson and his need to own the back pages. Didn't Sonny Werblin do that too by signing Joe Namath to a huge contract? Nobody complains about that, so why are people complaining now?

2. You know who else has a ****ty O-line? The Pittsburgh Steelers. You don't hear their fans complaining about it, do you?
    Pittsburgh, Indy the last few years, chicago have had really bad olines he big difference is Rothlisburger, Manning, Cutler.

Quote Originally Posted by HDKostempski View Post
    So? The motivation of grabbing headlines was still the same

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I watched Decastro carefully last night, he looked pretty damn good

This pretty much nails it. What a ridiculous thread topic. Werblin was trying to establish a new league, how is this in any way relevant to today?

Or "Mr. Pick 6".

All League
    Im sure if the intrawebz was created in '67 a few folks may have complained.

Jets Insider VIP

1) Namath delivered.

2) They'll still win 10+ games. Besides, who cares about them? How exactly does that help us win games?

Jets Insider VIP

1. Werblin put a better product on the field and WON!!!!

2. The fact that the Steelers have an poor OL is not the key, they also have better RBs and WRs than the Jets have and IMO Big Ben still looked Big Awfull behind that OL.....

So? The motivation of grabbing headlines was still the same
    The AFL was at war with the NFL at the time. Signing the premier college QB was a big deal in that war, probably only second to the Jets winning the SB in 1969. He was the Andrew Luck of his day.

Furthermore, Werblin's gamble paid off. Namath became the AFL's first star, and his prediction of the Jets winning the SB, propelled him to national fame and forced the merger.

Johnson's move is simply going to go as one of the stupidest ever made by an NFL owner NOT suffering from dementia.

Jets Insider VIP
    someone do research and see how much Sonny Werblin paid John Huarte - the 2nd qb the Jets drafted in 1965....

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Peebag View Post
    someone do research and see how much Sonny Werblin paid John Huarte - the 2nd qb the Jets drafted in 1965....
    Huarte got Namath's sloppy seconds. That was his compensation.

(don't fine me Gary Bettmann)

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    1) Namath delivered.

2) They'll still win 10+ games. Besides, who cares about them? How exactly does that help us win games?
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    1. Werblin put a better product on the field and WON!!!!

2. The fact that the Steelers have an poor OL is not the key, they also have better RBs and WRs than the Jets have and IMO Big Ben still looked Big Awfull behind that OL.....
    Not sure if these were the answers you were looking for, but they are definitely the right answers...

Pointing out the Steelers' terrible OL is like saying the Pats had terrible starters at WR from 2001-2005. That was true, but that didn't stop them from winning 3 super bowls in four years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Not sure if these were the answers you were looking for, but they are definitely the right answers...

Pointing out the Steelers' terrible OL is like saying the Pats had terrible starters at WR from 2001-2005. That was true, but that didn't stop them from winning 3 super bowls in four years.
    Bingo!

Some teams can take lemons and make lemonade.

The Jets take lemons, keep them too long until they rot, then try to feed them to their fans for $150 a ticket!

Jets Insider VIP
    I would take a "soft" DeCastro over Hunter. Wouldn't you?

The question has no bearing on the problems at hand right now. I'm not a Woody hater like so many around here. Personally, I think the conspiracy with the back pages and all that is extremely trite. However, fans have every right to question his (and Tannenbaum's) moves as of late. Namely: Tebow, Tim.
    One plays OG the other OT