Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A RT Battle that could actually yield a player for Jets

I checked for an update on the lions oline and found this (www.mlive.com), which is actually from last week, but adds some more intrigue to how many OTs Detriot can keep....

Taking a closer look at the Detroit Lions' acquisition of offensive lineman Bill Nagy

Updated: Friday, August 17, 2012, 2:30 PM

By Justin Rogers | jrogers@mlive.com

On Wednesday, the Dallas Cowboys took a calculated risk, cutting injured offensive lineman Bill Nagy. The team's intention, once Nagy cleared waivers, was to re-sign him and place him on injured reserve.

It's not an uncommon practice for teams to waive injured players during this time of year. League rules state that a player with less than four years of accrued service must be exposed to waivers for 24 hours before being placed on injured reserve in the period before rosters are trimmed down from 90.

Nagy didn't make it through waivers, getting claimed by the Detroit Lions.

While it's uncommon for a team to add an injured player to their roster, it's certainly not unprecedented. A prime example occurred in January, when the New England Patriots claimed New York Giants tight end Jake Ballard.

By claiming Nagy, who is coming off ankle surgery, the Lions indicate they like the long-term potential of the interior lineman. But if Detroit wishes to place Nagy on injured reserve, without exposing him to waivers, they'll need to keep him on the active roster beyond the first wave of cuts at the end of August.

Nagy has a growing list of serious injuries dating back to his time at the University of Wisconsin. As a junior, he broke his wrist and heel after a car struck his moped scooter. That cost him his starting job for the Badgers, but he still started eight games as a fifth-year senior because of his versatility.

It's that versatility, the ability to play both guard and center, that likely appeals to the Lions.

A seventh-round draft pick for the Cowboys in 2011, Nagy started four games at left guard early in the season before being sidelined with a fractured ankle. Prior to the start of that season, Cowboys offensive line coach Hudson Houck was highly complimentary of Nagy.

"Great leverage, great attitude, plays hard. He's the kind of guy we like."

If the Lions opt keep Nagy, which seems like a real possibility, he could compete for a starting job in 2013. If nothing else, he would provide depth at both guard and center while potentially being groomed to take over for Raiola, who will be 35 years old when his contract expires after next season

The 6-foot-3, 310-pound Nagy will turn 25 in October

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I checked for an update on the lions oline and found this (www.mlive.com), which is actually from last week, but adds some more intrigue to how many OTs Detriot can keep....

Taking a closer look at the Detroit Lions' acquisition of offensive lineman Bill Nagy
    That would add even more intrigue if Nagy was an OT.

He's a guard/center.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    That would add even more intrigue if Nagy was an OT.

He's a guard/center.
    I clearly understand that.

The point is, "if Detroit wishes to place Nagy on injured reserve, without exposing him to waivers, they'll need to keep him on the active roster beyond the first wave of cuts at the end of August" this would further effect how many total offensive lineman they can keep.

They currently have 5 OTs that are all worthy of roster spots. Then 3 starting interior lineman and they need at least one backup Center/Guard, which makes 9 total plus Nagy....thats a lot of lineman.

Plus, maybe someone here knows the answer, does Leshoure count against the 53 man roster? I ask because he is suspended the first 2 games, and with Best on the PUP, that means they need to keep kevin smith, keiland williams and a 3rd back for the first 2 weeks which would be 4 total if Leshoure counts.

All Pro
    As a junior, he broke his wrist and heel after a car struck his moped scooter. That cost him his starting job for the Badgers, but he still started eight games as a fifth-year senior because of his versatility.
    I'm just trying to wrap my brain around the image of a 310 lb. man on a moped.

I at least like the Lions strategy both of planning ahead and of stockpiling their OL with some experience. The Jets have no one with even a few games as a starter in their OL reserves.