Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pats sign Demps for chump change

Pats sign Demps for chump change

Tannenbaum couldn't beat this deal ??

per Rotoworld

The Patriots have fully guaranteed $200,000 of KR/RB Jeff Demps' $390,000 base salary.

Demps' deal also includes an $11,000 signing bonus, the second largest for any undrafted free agent this season. Eligible to begin practicing on Wednesday, the former Olympic sprinter will likely be active for Friday's preseason game against the Bucs.

Source: NFL.com
    Aug 21 - 8:29 AM

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post

per Rotoworld

The Patriots have fully guaranteed $200,000 of KR/RB Jeff Demps' $390,000 base salary.

Demps' deal also includes an $11,000 signing bonus, the second largest for any undrafted free agent this season. Eligible to begin practicing on Wednesday, the former Olympic sprinter will likely be active for Friday's preseason game against the Bucs.

Who would you rather play for? The Patriots or the Jets?

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    what kind of question is this. i thought everyone in the NFL wants to play for rex and the jets

The better question would be what is the league min for UDFA?

Considering that he is from Florida, he is giving up some money by playing elsewhere (He won't benefit lower taxes)

Given that NY is an expensive place, and that he is working with a small amount of money, I don't see how he could choose the Jets over the Patriots, if we are talking about Jets paying a bit more to sign Demps...

Also, the Patriots have a pretty good track record of letting players leave their org for MORE money.. Demps made a good career decision if he turns into a dynamic player.

Quote Originally Posted by NPTJET53 View Post
    The better question would be what is the league min for UDFA?

Considering that he is from Florida, he is giving up some money by playing elsewhere (He won't benefit lower taxes)

Given that NY is an expensive place, and that he is working with a small amount of money, I don't see how he could choose the Jets over the Patriots, if we are talking about Jets paying a bit more to sign Demps...

Also, the Patriots have a pretty good track record of letting players leave their org for MORE money.. Demps made a good career decision if he turns into a dynamic player.
    I'd guess this is a minimum contract so the $$ would be the same for a player on any team in the NFL. The 200K guaranteed is probably equal to what a track star could make in Europe. Also it's pretty likely he'll be on the roster the first day, guaranteeing his full contract.

Housing in NJ (not Manhattan) wouldn't be that expensive. I'd think the advertising opportunities in NYC would more than compensate, especially for an electric player like Demps will be.

/thread

True - Tom Brady is obviously the more established QB and the Pats have a decent chance to go to the Super Bowl.

The Jets will likely end up in the toilet bowl this season.

Hall Of Fame
    Exactly. He is getting his foot in the door with a team that will get the most out of him. If he plays well, his next contract will be bigger. Pats give him the best opportunity to play well.

Jets Insider VIP

Demps' agent said that his client's priority was to go to a team that he felt could win a Super Bowl this year.

Perhaps that explains his decision.

If Tannenbaum had a better off-season, maybe the Jets would have been in the picture.

I'd guess this is a minimum contract so the $$ would be the same for a player on any team in the NFL. The 200K guaranteed is probably equal to what a track star could make in Europe. Also it's pretty likely he'll be on the roster the first day, guaranteeing his full contract.

Housing in NJ (not Manhattan) wouldn't be that expensive. I'd think the advertising opportunities in NYC would more than compensate, especially for an electric player like Demps will be.

Track athletes are generally subsidized by companies like Nike, Adidas etc.
    There is a friend of one of my kids who makes 6 figures (low) and did not make the Olympic team. A world recognized star can make $4-500 a year. Just competing, no advertising.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Images
    Demps is nothing special. He was projected by most draft guys to be a 7th rounder or even undrafted. He is also exclusively a north/south runner with little skills on the outside. If he wasn't in the Olympics he would get no press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jets Insider VIP

per Rotoworld

Demps is an undrafted free agent. That's the going rate. Even if he didn't go to the Olympics scouts say he was a late rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Demps is nothing special. He was projected by most draft guys to be a 7th rounder or even undrafted. He is also exclusively a north/south runner with little skills on the outside. If he wasn't in the Olympics he would get no press.

The guy has world class speed, something the Jets are sorely lacking.

Let's see how everybody feels after he smokes a 90 yard kickoff return on us.

Veteran

Who now has to compete with a whole bunch of other, similar players. Are people really concerned that Demps is going to make any difference on either team this year?

Veteran
    the guy's REALLY small. he's REALLY fast. we'll see if he was worth the aggravation when he can take a hit from an NFL defensive tackle or LB

Because hes viewed as a return man? I talked with a Gator fan who told me that all he thinks Demps will be is a really good return man.

We didn't need Demps, what we need is to get the OL fixed.... We need a RT, #2 TE that can block, and maybe another WR.

Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Who now has to compete with a whole bunch of other, similar players. Are people really concerned that Demps is going to make any difference on either team this year?

He carried the ball in the SEC. Not a big group of Marys there.
    He is the fastest man in the NFL at this time. Small yes. Welker, Woodhead, Edelman and others. Seem to get the better of the Jets and the AFCE.

All Pro
    Tanny always gets criticised on here for over paying for players ... yet here he decides NOT to over pay, and gets criticised?

This isn't about "closing the deal", it's about getting value for money. Clearly they didn't feel Demps brought enough value.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Tanny always gets criticised on here for over paying for players ... yet here he decides NOT to over pay, and gets criticised?

This isn't about "closing the deal", it's about getting value for money. Clearly they didn't feel Demps brought enough value.
    I don't think the Jets were ever really a serious consideration for Demps.

I don't think he had any real interest in coming here.

That's the impression I got.

+1, my first reaction was "Who? And why should I care?"

RB and KR are filled on this team.

Fans aren't required to like it.

But that won't change it.

Now, in honour of another poster on this forums thread, could Demps play Right Tackle?