Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pats sign Demps for chump change

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Tannenbaum couldn't beat this deal ??

per Rotoworld

The Patriots have fully guaranteed $200,000 of KR/RB Jeff Demps' $390,000 base salary.

Demps' deal also includes an $11,000 signing bonus, the second largest for any undrafted free agent this season. Eligible to begin practicing on Wednesday, the former Olympic sprinter will likely be active for Friday's preseason game against the Bucs.

Source: NFL.com
    Aug 21 - 8:29 AM
    Demps is not considered a blue chip prospect. Why would Tannnebaum over pay for someone who would be drafted in the 7th round if at all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Demps is not considered a blue chip prospect. Why would Tannnebaum over pay for someone who would be drafted in the 7th round if at all.
    Again. There was no indication that Demps was even interested in the Jets.

1) Demps would have been a mid-round pick. He was projected as a UDFA because he had seemingly made it clear that he wasn't going to play in the NFL. Of the guys that run track and play football in college, the ones that are serious about the NFL usually drop track by the time their senior year rolls around. Demps stayed on the track team and didn't do any of the pre-draft workouts, so teams had no indication that he was even considering playing in the NFL.

2) I'm pretty sure that teams are restricted in terms of how much guaranteed money they can spend on UDFAs each year. Other teams might not have had as much left over as the Patriots, who typically have a ton of draft picks anyway and don't need to sign many guys to add depth to their draft class.

All League
    Why is everyone assuming that he makes the Pats? I, for one, think he won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Again. There was no indication that Demps was even interested in the Jets.
    You are absolutely correct. My only point was that there would be no bidding war for his services.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Several ranking sites had him pegged as a 4-6 rounder. Not earth shattering by any means, but most say he has tremendous speed that translates to the football field. I'm guessing they try to stash him on the PS and that's why they guaranteed $200k of his salary.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Several ranking sites had him pegged as a 5-6 rounder. Not earth shattering by any means, but most say he has tremendous speed that translates to the football field. I'm guessing they try to stash him on the PS and that's why they guaranteed $200k of his salary.
    I would have loved the Jets to have gotten him, I think he can have a big upside. My only point was that teams were not getting into a bidding war for his services.

Good article about Demps' signing:

Before signing with the New England Patriots last week, former University of Florida running back and 2012 Olympic silver medalist Jeff Demps drew interest from several NFL teams, including the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Indianapolis Colts and New York Jets. Tim Tebow, Demps' college quarterback, even was asked to take part in the recruiting process.

The high level of interest in Demps, who had over 3,500 all-purpose yards with 25 touchdowns in his 51-game career with the Gators, was reflected in the contract he signed with the Patriots.

Most undrafted free agents who have signed their first NFL contract after the OTAs and minicamp period, or during training camp, have received no signing bonuses and are assured of nothing more than an opportunity to make the 53-man roster.

That was not the case with Demps.

Demps, who was on the U.S. 4 x 100-meter relay team, received a signing bonus of $11,000, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. Demps' signing bonus brings the Patriots closer to the $76,585 maximum that teams could spend on signing bonuses for undrafted free agents in 2012. (New England currently is at $76,500.)

In addition to the signing bonus, the Patriots have fully `guaranteed $200,000 of the $390,000 base salary Demps would earn if he makes the 53-man roster. If Demps does not make the team, he'd still get that money. The total of $211,000 in guaranteed money is the second-largest sum given to a 2012 undrafted free agent, exceeded only by the $214,000 the Dallas Cowboys guaranteed offensive lineman Ronald Leary.

Does the guaranteed money assure Demps of a spot on the Patriots' 53-man roster? Not necessarily. Demps has not done anything football-related since Jan. 2. He lost 15 pounds to compete in the Olympics and won't hit the practice field for the first time until Wednesday. After that, Demps will have two preseason games in a five-day span to show if he can contribute in a meaningful way to the Patriots this season.

The Patriots clearly want to keep Demps beyond the month of August, though, and the base salary guarantee in the contract could be high enough to scare away teams from claiming him off waivers. The Patriots could then sneak Demps onto their practice squad, where they routinely pay their practice squad players above the minimum weekly salary ($5,700 per week again in 2012).

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    The guy has world class speed, something the Jets are sorely lacking.

Let's see how everybody feels after he smokes a 90 yard kickoff return on us.
    Can we at least, first wait, for Demps to actually make an NFL impact, or even better yet, actually make an NFL play before talking him up as being some type of next Gale Sayers and/or a player who's on the verge of running wild against a Mike Westhoff led special teams unit? Jesus. He has blazing speed, big deal. He can run fast. Who's to say he'll be able to run through NFL middle linebackers or even take the beating by NFL DT's/DE's? Stephen Hill also has top of the line speed, for a 6'4 WR at that. I don't see you talking up Hill as the next coming of Randy Moss (84). So the Jets passed on Demps and/or didn't go after him. The Patriots did the same in regards to Stephen Hill. So be it...I'll take Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaBayJet View Post
    Can we at least, first wait, for Demps to actually make an NFL impact, or even better yet, actually make an NFL play before talking him up as being some type of next Gale Sayers and/or a player who's on the verge of running wild against a Mike Westhoff led special teams unit? Jesus. He has blazing speed, big deal. He can run fast. Who's to say he'll be able to run through NFL middle linebackers or even take the beating by NFL DT's/DE's? Stephen Hill also has top of the line speed, for a 6'4 WR at that. I don't see you talking up Hill as the next coming of Randy Moss (84). So the Jets passed on Demps and/or didn't go after him. The Patriots did the same in regards to Stephen Hill. So be it...I'll take Hill.

When talking about speed, there's a pretty significant difference between Stephen Hill's "top line speed" and Demps' speed. If Hill runs a true 4.3 and Demps runs a 4.2, then in a 40 yard dash, Demp's would beat him by a yard or so. If Hill ran a 4.4, then the difference would be about 1.75 yards.

Jets Insider VIP
    Can someone please remind me again as to why we're getting worked up over an UDFA who chose track and field over football?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Can someone please remind me again as to why we're getting worked up over an UDFA who chose track and field over football?
    Because the Patsies signed him, so he must be great, and we missed out. Fire Tanny.

So who needs this guy anyway. The Jets got other problems to solve

Jets Insider VIP
    Durability issues in college is not an encouraging sign when transitioning to the the NFL.

"Demps flashed some big plays and also showed durability concerns throughout this season. Demps can score on any touch, but he can also suffer an injury on any carry."

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Durability issues in college is not an encouraging sign when transitioning to the the NFL.

"Demps flashed some big plays and also showed durability concerns throughout this season. Demps can score on any touch, but he can also suffer an injury on any carry."
    A bit of an overstatement. Yes, he's a smurf so he might get killed on an NFL field, but he only missed 2 games his sophomore year with an ankle sprain, and he dislocated his elbow in his bowl game his junior year. That's the extent of his injuries. He played all 14 games unhurt as a freshman. Not exactly made of glass.