Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 61

Thread: Hunter has bullseye painted on his jersey

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    But, in response to a poster's very good breakdown of Hunter's whiff, you reference a different play.

    If you want to find a play where Mark made Hunter look bad, go for it. But stick to the subject, not your agenda. You're an Oline guy, lets talk Hunter.

    I'm sick of hearing about my agenda. My agenda is for the Jets to be good. That's it. I don't have some sort of nefarious agenda. I call em like i see em.

    Ok well purely on Hunter i agree he's bad. The thread title talked about a bullseye on Hunter i don't think it's that simple. I don't think it's realistic to expect a 9 year vet to get that much better. I do think the Jets could have done a better job finding his replacement. I don't think the success of the franchise depends on the right tackle. Good Qb's can overcome bad Rt's.

  2. #42
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,203
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    yeah i watch the game, mark's pick 6 had more of an effect on the final score than anything Wayne Hunter did or didn't do. End of the day the effect of the right tackle to the grand scheme of things are being wildly overblown. Just like how Schotty was scapegoated. Is Schotty a good coach? Maybe not. Is Hunter a good OL? nope. But these guys are pawns. It's all about Mark Sanchez. (and for the record Tebow is even worse at making quick decisions)
    Sure the Jets were only down 6 and if it was a regular game I'd think to myself "Wow, the O looked terrible, but we're only down six". And then I'd be really pissed at the pick 6. But, it was a preseason game. I don't care about the score - I care about progress. So we had our Oline in shambles and then our QB makes a terrible throw. Both are bad.

    IMO, Sanchez can at least work on and build from that throw. Is he the future? I dunno - I'm torn. But, I know he can't make that throw again. I can only hope that he puts that defensive look in his memory bank and never try it again.

    But I'm not sure if Hunter is fixable. I used to think he was. Then I hoped he was. But now....I'm leaning towards no. My main consternation is that a team should be able to put a JAG in one spot on the Oline and not have it fall apart completely. For whatever reason, the Jets don't seem to be able to do that. They couldn't do that with Adrian Clarke and they can't do it at RT now. Other teams, OTOH, seem to be able to put in a guy with no starts to his name and has the game of his life against the Jets.

    Wade Smith, the bum we had a couple of years ago, got his first start of his career at LT against the Jets (for the Fins) opposite Johnny Abe. He basically shut him down. I have no idea how, but it happens all the time against the Jets. We go into Seattle to play 5 backup OLs and Seneca Wallace. Somehow we lose and get precious little pressure on the QB. Not sure how we can't muster the same patchwork line, but never seems to work.

  3. #43
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Let's imagine the Jets had a different (better) right tackle. Heck let's imagine they have the best right tackle in the game (David Stewart maybe?).

    How much better is this offense? My opinion is not very. The Jets didn't have Hunter in the lineup against Cinci and still didn't score a TD. The problems with the offense run far deeper than the OL. in fact the OL might be the best part of the offense, all things considered.
    Your Cincy argument doesn't ring true because the 1st team offense only played the 1st quarter. Plus, the sacks were on stunts. In comparison, the 1st team O played the entire first half and all 4 sacks (including the one nullified) were on 4 man rushes. The Giants only blitzed in the 4th quarter.

    Thus, you can't use the "Hunter didn't play in the Cincy game" argument because it was a completely different situation.

  4. #44
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,203
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I'm sick of hearing about my agenda. My agenda is for the Jets to be good. That's it. I don't have some sort of nefarious agenda. I call em like i see em.

    Ok well purely on Hunter i agree he's bad. The thread title talked about a bullseye on Hunter i don't think it's that simple. I don't think it's realistic to expect a 9 year vet to get that much better. I do think the Jets could have done a better job finding his replacement. I don't think the success of the franchise depends on the right tackle. Good Qb's can overcome bad Rt's.
    Fair enough - I agree with you long term. The trajectory of this franchise is based on #6's success. The parts are otherwise in place to be successful, at least on paper.

    But, you bring up an interesting point about what would happen if we inserted the best RT in the league instead of Hunter. More than anything, I think we'd find out more about the mediocrity of the rest of the line, unfortunately. And, in that regard, I think Hunter's ineptitude masks the rest of the lines' failures as well.

    Although perhaps not at his peak in the preseason, I have no concerns about Mangold. He is who we think he is. The rest of the guys, however, are potentially problematic. And that includes D'Brick. They all have performed at an elite level (Slauson - we'll say at a very competent level) at one time or another. But, I'm not sure that they are at their peak now. We have no idea to what extent, if any, injuries have hampered them, and hopefully they're healthy now. But I'm getting tired of "hoping" at so many positions on this team by now.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Mark's lack of time is being over stated. it's rare that he gets that little time.

    remeber this Von Miller crushing Mark youtube from the Denver game?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLpimht0tUM

    Yes Hunter gets beat badly. and Yes Mark was going to get hit.

    But Mark takes his 3 steps and then... nothing. 1 one thousand,2 one thousand,3 one thousand, THROW... that's the league. What is he waiting for? Keller looked open enough. throw him open. that's what a good qB does.

    I'm just sick of all the excuses. People crushed Schotty last year. People crush Hunter. Maybe Tannenbaum should get fired.

    here's an idea maybe the QB can get rid of the ball as per the play design. Mark never got used to having less time than he had at USC. It's year 4 he needs to have that 3 second buzzer in his head.

    and even when he gets time he throws that awful pick 6 with no pressure. Ghost pressure? Cmon Mark. He's being paid like a superstar and he's playing like garbage.
    You are beyond clueless... I pass gas that has more intelligence than some of your posts. Count from the time he gets the snap on this play to the time he gets crushed...2 seconds pass total... You don't get it and never will! There are 10 better arguements you could make as to why Sanchez will never be a productive QB but this video is surely not one of them...

  6. #46
    Hey Bit, that "terrible" Colts offensive line?

    6.2% sack rate in 2011. With Kerry Collins, Curtis Painter, and Dan Orlovsky.

    Manning made them look great. With three bad QBs in 2011, they still managed to be average. The Colts lines from the early through mid 2000s were just awesome, Manning or no Manning.

    There never has been and never will be a quarterback that makes bad players look good. Wayne Hunter is a bad football player. Patrick Turner is a marginal 4TH RECEIVER.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    This is why having four solid to great linemen becomes null and void when one is beyond embarrassment:





    Ball snapped at 46 yard line. Look at how everyone but Hunter is stuffing their opponent at or a few yards behind the line of scrimmage. Hunter "engages" or shall I say does not even get his hands on Tuck when they first meet. Tuck is already 5 yards deep in this photo. It would not matter much if Hunter could get one shove on him to push him behind and out of the play. Let's see if that happens....









    Oops, he missed. Ole! Now at precisely 2 seconds from when the ball was snapped, Justin Tuck is 9 yards deep in the backfield and has turned the corner. In just 2 seconds, he is an arm's length away from the sack. By the time Sanchez tries to unload the ball, Tuck is already grabbing his throwing arm. When you don't have enough time to throw a 5 yard hook, something is terribly wrong. I'm sorry.
    Granted, I can't see where the lineman were lined up before the snap, but my question would be: Why is Moore helping our best lineman on a double-team while our worst starting lineman is taking on an accomplished pass rusher on his own?

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    yeah i watch the game, mark's pick 6 had more of an effect on the final score than anything Wayne Hunter did or didn't do.
    The pick six against the Giants was the mirror image of the throw you wanted Sanchez to attempt in your video clip. It's the same crossing route (albeit in the opposite direction) and the receiver (Turner on Saturday, and Keller against the Broncos) is about as open.

  9. #49
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,708
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Fair enough - I agree with you long term. The trajectory of this franchise is based on #6's success. The parts are otherwise in place to be successful, at least on paper.

    But, you bring up an interesting point about what would happen if we inserted the best RT in the league instead of Hunter. More than anything, I think we'd find out more about the mediocrity of the rest of the line, unfortunately. And, in that regard, I think Hunter's ineptitude masks the rest of the lines' failures as well.

    Although perhaps not at his peak in the preseason, I have no concerns about Mangold. He is who we think he is. The rest of the guys, however, are potentially problematic. And that includes D'Brick. They all have performed at an elite level (Slauson - we'll say at a very competent level) at one time or another. But, I'm not sure that they are at their peak now. We have no idea to what extent, if any, injuries have hampered them, and hopefully they're healthy now. But I'm getting tired of "hoping" at so many positions on this team by now.
    For us to be a Ground and Pound team we need huge run blocking maulers on the OL. BRICK is not that! MOORE is barely that anymore and Slauson can be replaced by one and be used for depth. I am saying we do not have the personnel to do what REX wants to do. The OL needs some huge big uglies upfront! Hunter must go! Moore needs to be replaced soon. Slauson can also be replaced. Vlad can be the mauler to replace Slauson I think. Howard should get a shot with the ones to replace Hunter. The Lions have a couple of guys that are interesting. Why not trade WILSON for one of their RTs? We do have depth at the CB position.

    Something has got to change soon. Mr.T has got to be a full timer bean counter and Bill Polian brought in to direct the draft and free agency. How can we address the safety position with 4 new players while the RT got no help at all? We also need to see more from Ganaway at RB. We need a mauling type runner to backup Greene. McKnight is at the end of his chances IMO. I supported him since he threw up as a rookie but the game he played against the Gi-Aints annoyed me. He ran tentatively and made a lot of errors on special teams and sucked big time trying to block! His heart was not in it and maybe he can find his heart in San Francisco! Kudos to Tony Bennett.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 08-21-2012 at 03:23 PM.

  10. #50
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,708
    Quote Originally Posted by MykePM View Post
    The pick six against the Giants was the mirror image of the throw you wanted Sanchez to attempt in your video clip. It's the same crossing route (albeit in the opposite direction) and the receiver (Turner on Saturday, and Keller against the Broncos) is about as open.
    The ball was poorly placed. Sanchez admitted that and so did REX. Sanchez does not need phony excuses being made for his play. Mark is a genuine competitior and wants to win. He will get it right! But these constant excuses for shoddy play are sickening at best! Yes Virginia, Sanchez is human and can and does make mistakes! He will either fix them or be replaced, in time. He gets paid to win!

  11. #51
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    For us to be a Ground and Pound team we need huge run blocking maulers on the OL. BRICK is not that! MOORE is barely that anymore and Slauson can be replaced by one and be used for depth. I am saying we do not have the personnel to do what REX wants to do. The OL needs some huge big uglies upfront! Hunter must go! Moore needs to be replaced soon. Slauson can also be replaced. Vlad can be the mauler to replace Slauson I think. Howard should get a shot with the ones to replace Hunter. The Lions have a couple of guys that are interesting. Why not trade WILSON for one of their RTs? We do have depth at the CB position.

    Something has got to change soon. Mr.T has got to be a full timer bean counter and Bill Polian brought in to direct the draft and free agency. How can we address the safety position with 4 new players while the RT got no help at all? We also need to see more from Ganaway at RB. We need a mauling type runner to backup Greene. McKnight is at the end of his chances IMO. I supported him since he threw up as a rookie but the game he played against the Gi-Aints annoyed me. He ran tentatively and made a lot of errors on special teams and sucked big time trying to block! His heart was not in it and maybe he can find his heart in San Francisco! Kudos to Tony Bennett.
    1. I agree we need a mauler at RT. We had one in Woody and don't in Hunter. We thought we were at least getting an adept pass blocker, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

    2. I'm not sure what Tanny being a "bean counter" has to do with this. Does him being a bean counter mean he rests on his laurels and doesn't try to improve the team? Decisions have to be made. He's made some good, some not so good. Guys who are considered "football guys" make good and bad decisions all the time.

    There are plenty of guys who make evaluations re talent that I doubt the Jets are lacking in that area. If you want to criticize Tanny, IMO, its on the basis of a quality over quantity approach in the draft over the years. Has nothing to do with being a bean counter.

    It was pretty much slim pickings at RT in the off season. The Jets made a decision not to pursue Eric Winston for a number of reasons. Its looking worse and worse right now.

  12. #52
    All League
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Bronx, USA
    Posts
    4,541
    Put Wayne hunter on the Pats and make him start every snap of 16 games and I'm not worried about them this year. Period. They won't win crap. So why should we expect Mark to overcome that? Give the kid a chance

  13. #53
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    22,105
    Sanchez needs to feel the Hunter ****up more. That is in his peripheral vision with him looking up field.

    I think the Jets should stop with this stupid 3 second whistle. If you do a stop watch on some of Hunter's sacks, Sanchez is getting hit between 2.1 and 2.5 seconds.

    The Jets should tell Sanchez that whenever he feels a Hunter screw up and see daylight in front of him or to his left, then he should start running regardless of down or distance.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Sanchez needs to feel the Hunter ****up more. That is in his peripheral vision with him looking up field.

    I think the Jets should stop with this stupid 3 second whistle. If you do a stop watch on some of Hunter's sacks, Sanchez is getting hit between 2.1 and 2.5 seconds.

    The Jets should tell Sanchez that whenever he feels a Hunter screw up and see daylight in front of him or to his left, then he should start running regardless of down or distance.
    they may have to roll him out to the left, or throw a few screens over the DEs on hunter's side, to keep defenses honest. the way it is right now, sanchez is gonna get injured early in the season again.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    Another reason why the Jets are going to have to do something at RT is that according to some news reports other teams know about his poor play and are keying on his weakness. He might have been able to take it up to play as an average RT but with other teams gunning for him he has to take up his play even more and frankly I don't think there is anyone who thinks he can do that
    Every team does that with players...It's called advance scouting and game planning..It's been going on for decades...You don't think teams have been doing things when they see Bart Scott on the field? Eric Smith? Slauson? Keller? Sanchez? Tebow? etc..Even Moore & D'BricK...That's why other teams scout / watch tape of upcoming teams...They identify the weaknesses of players and how to exploit them...MOST players have a weakness(es) to exploit....There are very few Revis out there.

  16. #56
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,708
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    1. I agree we need a mauler at RT. We had one in Woody and don't in Hunter. We thought we were at least getting an adept pass blocker, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

    2. I'm not sure what Tanny being a "bean counter" has to do with this. Does him being a bean counter mean he rests on his laurels and doesn't try to improve the team? Decisions have to be made. He's made some good, some not so good. Guys who are considered "football guys" make good and bad decisions all the time.

    There are plenty of guys who make evaluations re talent that I doubt the Jets are lacking in that area. If you want to criticize Tanny, IMO, its on the basis of a quality over quantity approach in the draft over the years. Has nothing to do with being a bean counter.

    It was pretty much slim pickings at RT in the off season. The Jets made a decision not to pursue Eric Winston for a number of reasons. Its looking worse and worse right now.
    Mr.T is starting to look like he is in over his head. We have seen many weak decisions but in fairness, he did get a good players for us. There were RTs available in the draft. Neither he nor REX wanted to go there apparently. Winston would have been great for us. Instead we have 4 new sfaetys! I like them all but we needed a RT as much or more then 4 new safetys. That is bean counter mentality. He has got to sit REX down and remind him that the OFFENSE needs some help too. I have supported him since day 1 but I am leery of his approach to the draft and free agency. Giving away draft picks for players is leaving us high and dry depth -wise. We have so little depth and further, when a position like RT is a galring need, how does he not address it? He did not even try!

  17. #57
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,708
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    1. I agree we need a mauler at RT. We had one in Woody and don't in Hunter. We thought we were at least getting an adept pass blocker, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

    2. I'm not sure what Tanny being a "bean counter" has to do with this. Does him being a bean counter mean he rests on his laurels and doesn't try to improve the team? Decisions have to be made. He's made some good, some not so good. Guys who are considered "football guys" make good and bad decisions all the time.

    There are plenty of guys who make evaluations re talent that I doubt the Jets are lacking in that area. If you want to criticize Tanny, IMO, its on the basis of a quality over quantity approach in the draft over the years. Has nothing to do with being a bean counter.

    It was pretty much slim pickings at RT in the off season. The Jets made a decision not to pursue Eric Winston for a number of reasons. Its looking worse and worse right now.
    Mr.T is starting to look like he is in over his head. We have seen many weak decisions but in fairness, he did get a good players for us. There were RTs available in the draft. Neither he nor REX wanted to go there apparently. Winston would have been great for us. Instead we have 4 new sfaetys! I like them all but we needed a RT as much or more then 4 new safetys. That is bean counter mentality. He has got to sit REX down and remind him that the OFFENSE needs some help too. I have supported him since day 1 but I am leery of his approach to the draft and free agency. Giving away draft picks for players is leaving us high and dry depth -wise. We have so little depth and further, when a position like RT is a glaring need, how does he not address it? He did not even try! I wish him well though. I hope he finds a RT somewhere that will fill that sore spot!

  18. #58
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,708
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    1. I agree we need a mauler at RT. We had one in Woody and don't in Hunter. We thought we were at least getting an adept pass blocker, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

    2. I'm not sure what Tanny being a "bean counter" has to do with this. Does him being a bean counter mean he rests on his laurels and doesn't try to improve the team? Decisions have to be made. He's made some good, some not so good. Guys who are considered "football guys" make good and bad decisions all the time.

    There are plenty of guys who make evaluations re talent that I doubt the Jets are lacking in that area. If you want to criticize Tanny, IMO, its on the basis of a quality over quantity approach in the draft over the years. Has nothing to do with being a bean counter.

    It was pretty much slim pickings at RT in the off season. The Jets made a decision not to pursue Eric Winston for a number of reasons. Its looking worse and worse right now.
    Mr.T is starting to look like he is in over his head IMO . We have seen many weak decisions but in fairness, he did get a few good players for us over the years. There were RTs available in the draft. Neither he nor REX wanted to go there apparently. Winston would have been great for us. Instead we have 4 new safetys! I like them all, especially ALLEN but we needed a RT as much or more then 4 new safetys. That is bean counter mentality. He has got to sit REX down and remind him that the OFFENSE needs some help too. I have supported T since day 1 but I am leery of his approach to the draft and free agency. Giving away draft picks for players is leaving us high and dry depth -wise. We have so little depth and further, when a position like RT is a glaring need, how does he not address it? He did not even try! I wish him well though. I hope he finds a RT somewhere that will fill that sore spot! I hate when out 2's and 3's come on the field to play! We are usually at a distinct disadvantage. IMO that is on Mr.T.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 08-21-2012 at 04:15 PM.

  19. #59
    Don't think the Bills aren't noticing this either. When the schedule came out, we all penciled that one in for a surefire win (or close). Now I'm actually very concerned about that game, particularly the possibility that the Bills will be able to get a healthy and motivated Mario Williams lined up against Hunter. That should be a major concern for all fans. Remember the Ravens game last year? You can't compete if you can't block and Sanchez can get very rattled.

  20. #60
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    19,203
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Mr.T is starting to look like he is in over his head IMO . We have seen many weak decisions but in fairness, he did get a few good players for us over the years. There were RTs available in the draft. Neither he nor REX wanted to go there apparently. Winston would have been great for us. Instead we have 4 new safetys! I like them all, especially ALLEN but we needed a RT as much or more then 4 new safetys. That is bean counter mentality. He has got to sit REX down and remind him that the OFFENSE needs some help too. I have supported T since day 1 but I am leery of his approach to the draft and free agency. Giving away draft picks for players is leaving us high and dry depth -wise. We have so little depth and further, when a position like RT is a glaring need, how does he not address it? He did not even try! I wish him well though. I hope he finds a RT somewhere that will fill that sore spot! I hate when out 2's and 3's come on the field to play! We are usually at a distinct disadvantage. IMO that is on Mr.T.
    I got it, I got it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us