Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: " Lions Could Help Jets Fill Need At Right Tackle " ~ ~ ~

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dennis Waszak Jr. @DWAZ73
    Tannenbaum says fans should anticipate Labor Day weekend to be "a mini-draft for us." So, #Jets roster far from finalized.

12:15 PM - 21 Aug 12 via web Embed this Tweet

This is crazy. Trader Mike is in job preservation mode!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Trading Wilson for cherilus would definitely be tarded
    why is that professor? Do you have another suggestion? The Lions specicifically need a CB. We are deep at CB. Lankster has developed nicely. We have Revis and Cro. Trufant I am not high on. But the Jets are high on STEED and Fletcher. Did you want to trade a punter to them? What say you?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    After reading some of the Lion's fans posts I'm starting to think twice about hoping the Lions do well. Man are they clueless...even worse than us!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    why is that professor? Do you have another suggestion? The Lions specicifically need a CB. We are deep at CB. Lankster has developed nicely. We have Revis and Cro. Trufant I am not high on. But the Jets are high on STEED and Fletcher. Did you want to trade a punter to them? What say you?
    Do we really know they are high on fletcher?

I went to BC and watched almost every game and fletcher just never stood out to me. I also believe we were looking at him as a converted safety.

Its so hard to decipher trades in the nfl, and while we are in a desperate situation at RT, wilson is a LOT to give up.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is that the same Reiff who was available when we drafted Coples?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETSALLDAY24 View Post
    Oh yeah lets just trade our best playmaker on offense lord knows we have plently of depth at wr to do so. LOL where in the hell do some you get your ideas from?
    You'll never know till you open your mind.

And learn how to read.

Depends on who we get in return, doesn't it? Think multi-player deal.

BTW, where has this "best playmaker" no-show of yours been since the Miami game?

Thought so.

Watch, every time the PITA disagrees with something he'll play one of his mood/injury cards.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I would give a third for cherilus in a heartbeat
    Too high for a guy going into his last year of his contract and with his knee problems/question marks..More of a day 3 conditional draft pick based on playing time/snaps.

Gosder Cherilus is a dying breed, and by that I mean he is a product of the Matt Millen era.

Few players remain from that piece of Detroit Lions history, and since he was picked 17th overall by Detroit in the 2008 NFL Draft, Cherilus has failed to make his mark in the Motor City.

He has started 55 games at right tackle and yet he is considered one of the weakest pieces along the Lions offensive line (Stephen Peterman being the absolute worst).

So how many more seasons can Cherilus continue to occupy space before Lions management decides to pull the plug on him?

The clock appears to be ticking.

A couple factors signal that 2012 is Cherilus' final chance to prove himself in Honolulu Blue. The first is the fact that the Boston College product is entering the final year of his contract.

Cherilus is by no means expensive at a $2.31 million base salary this season, but if he struggles in the 2012 campaign, there would appear to be little reason to initiate talk of re-signing a mediocre tackle with known knee problems.

The second and perhaps more imminent factor could be the looming NFL Draft in which the Lions are expected to address offensive tackle at some point in the process, according to the Detroit Free Press.

With Jeff Backus re-signed, if Detroit drafts a tackle in the first couple rounds, they will likely be competing with Cherilus to start on the right side in 2012.

Clearly a guy with four years of NFL experience will get the nod in training camp, but can Cherilus and his knee problems sustain the edge at the position?

That question remains to be answered.

What we do know is that Gosder Cherilus' spot at right tackle is not set in stone on Detroit's depth chart.

If anything, it is lightly scratched in with a pencil.

Some insight into what Lions management thinks of Cherilus will be given on draft day, but the rest is up to his play this season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-prove-himself

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    KJ, Steed has been injured most of TC..Not sure if they are high on Steed and/or Fletcher...Lankster is also injured with a pulled quad..So depth at CB isn't as deep as we think..

See my post above..Cherilus is in the final yr of his contract, reportedly has knee problems..IMO he isn't worth KWilson..He's a day 3 draft pick quality

BTW--I was high on Steed coming into TC...Just haven't heard / seen much of him..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    Is that the same Reiff who was available when we drafted Coples?
    Seriously, go figure.

They wouldn't even flat out draft a RT, there is no chance in hell Rex will want to give a CB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Too high for a guy going into his last year of his contract and with his knee problems/question marks..More of a day 3 conditional draft pick based on playing time/snaps.

Gosder Cherilus is a dying breed, and by that I mean he is a product of the Matt Millen era.

Few players remain from that piece of Detroit Lions history, and since he was picked 17th overall by Detroit in the 2008 NFL Draft, Cherilus has failed to make his mark in the Motor City.

He has started 55 games at right tackle and yet he is considered one of the weakest pieces along the Lions offensive line (Stephen Peterman being the absolute worst).

So how many more seasons can Cherilus continue to occupy space before Lions management decides to pull the plug on him?

A couple factors signal that 2012 is Cherilus' final chance to prove himself in Honolulu Blue. The first is the fact that the Boston College product is entering the final year of his contract.

Cherilus is by no means expensive at a $2.31 million base salary this season, but if he struggles in the 2012 campaign, there would appear to be little reason to initiate talk of re-signing a mediocre tackle with known knee problems.

The second and perhaps more imminent factor could be the looming NFL Draft in which the Lions are expected to address offensive tackle at some point in the process, according to the Detroit Free Press.

With Jeff Backus re-signed, if Detroit drafts a tackle in the first couple rounds, they will likely be competing with Cherilus to start on the right side in 2012.

Clearly a guy with four years of NFL experience will get the nod in training camp, but can Cherilus and his knee problems sustain the edge at the position?

What we do know is that Gosder Cherilus' spot at right tackle is not set in stone on Detroit's depth chart.

Some insight into what Lions management thinks of Cherilus will be given on draft day, but the rest is up to his play this season.

1st, why would you post an article from the bleacher report?

2. Why would they trade thier #1RT for a condtional draft pick to a team that is struggling at the position? The guy isn't making any money, so there is no cap benefit.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

2. Why would they trade thier #1RT for a condtional draft pick to a team that is struggling at the position? The guy isn't making any money, so there is no cap benefit.
    there is info in there, such as he's in the final year of his contract and has had knee issues...people here were proposing KWilson for him..

If that info is incorrect please by all means correct it...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    5th

cheers ~ ~
    If Tanny could manage to pull off this trade for a measly 4th or 5th rounder I would be on cloud nine. I just really wonder if this is at all possible. Normally, this time of year the price is over inflated.

So given the time of year, I would still be happy if we gave up a 3rd rounder for Cherilus. That is assuming he can actually bail out the OL?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post

Didn't realize he had been such a bad pro, I remembered him being a good RT prospect coming out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

When you have a low cost alternative (and in Detroits case they have 2) to a player who you are going to lose in the following offseason, and you get a 4th round pick for that player that is considered an excellent move.

Cherilus is no all pro, and the players that will replace him should have very little drop off in production. Getting a 4th round pick is a good move by their GM if they do it.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Similarly to Jeff Otah, Ryan Harris is another former starter at RT who's career has been derailed by injuries. He's currently listed as a backup in Denver. Maybe they give him a looksie if he's cut:

"Another wild card is Ryan Harris. He started frequently during his first stint with the Broncos (2007-10), but was derailed by injuries in the past year, beginning with back problems that forced him to get an injury settlement with the Eagles, who signed him last summer. An ankle problem has hindered Harris this summer, putting him fourth behind Clady, Franklin and Clark among the team's tackles."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/nf...offensive-line

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    If Tanny could manage to pull off this trade for a measly 4th or 5th rounder I would be on cloud nine. I just really wonder if this is at all possible. Normally, this time of year the price is over inflated.

So given the time of year, I would still be happy if we gave up a 3rd rounder for Cherilus. That is assuming he can actually bail out the OL?
    a 3rd for cherilus...cool

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just for some minimal perspective on trades....

Barret Rudd, an average career player, was just dealt to fill a need and was had for a "conditional draft pick."

Demeco Ryans, a former all pro, was traded in the offseason (so not as an emergency stop gap) for a 4th round pick.

We need to fix RT, but at this point, a 4th round pick for Cherilus is more then enough to offer detroit and I would be shocked if they didnt jump at that.

Practice Squad
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J-E-F-F View Post
    Have you read some of the Lions' fans suggestions of the Jets' compensation for Cherilus?

I mean, we sure have our fair share of homers on this site, but some of their fans are seriously expecting things like a first-rounder, or even Revis or Cromartie, in return.
    Haha, I was reading that too. Revis and/or Cromartie? Wow, what do they have, two HOF RTs?

If there is a starting-caliber RT that they'd be willing to deal, asking for anything more than a mid-rounder in return is crazy. As bad as we need one, they aren't the highest in trade value. In fact, the only reason someone could argue higher is because we need one so bad.
    Last edited by ChrisChrusher#40; 08-22-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cherilus is a turd. No way I'd want him on the Jets.

I'd rather start Howard and stick a TE next to him every play.