Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: " Lions Could Help Jets Fill Need At Right Tackle " ~ ~ ~

From Detroit Free Press....August 4

His coach said he had the best season of his career in 2011, and his knee tells him this year should be even better.

After a week of training camp, Lions right tackle Gosder Cherilus is dealing with none of the soreness and pain he trudged through last year, when he played 16 games a season after microfracture knee surgery.

"You don't come out here and tell people, 'Hey, there's something wrong,' 'cause that's not your job to care," Cherilus said. "If they put you on the (field), your job is to compete. But at the end of the day it feels so much better when you can come out here and you don't have something (bothering you)."

Cherilus underwent surgery in December 2010, a few weeks after suffering a chipped bone in his right knee in a Thanksgiving loss to the Patriots.

He returned ahead of schedule for spring workouts during the lockout -- "Doctor said a year and I wanted to come back in six months and I did," he said -- and after sitting out the early part of camp was in the starting lineup for a Week 1 win against the Buccaneers.

Not everything went smoothly. Cherilus was temporarily benched because of a personal foul he committed against Tampa Bay and, according to Pro Football Weekly, allowed nine sacks after surrendering just two in 2010.

But he played well enough that few people knew about the pain he managed with nearly every kickstep.

"Some guys toward the end (of the season), they kind of knew what was going on," Cherilus said. "I was trying to protect my outside leg so they would rush and they still weren't too successful at it. Once they put you on the (field), it's time to compete, time to do your job. Show up and get it done."

The Lions gave Cherilus, who's entering the final season of his rookie contract, and the rest of their offensive line a bit of a push when they drafted Riley Reiff in the first round in April.

But Cherilus has taken first-team reps at right tackle all summer -- Reiff worked behind him for two days earlier this week and took backup left-tackle reps Thursday -- and is in no hurry to come off the field.

"I thought Gos had his best year last year, No. 1 from a playing standpoint, No. 2 from a play-time standpoint of being on the field," Lions coach Jim Schwartz said. "He's a tough guy, he's worked through a lot of things. He's benefitted from being in the same system for going on his fourth straight year. Like I said, I thought he had a very good year last year. I thought it was for sure his best year. He's a solid pro."

Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    Seriously, go figure.

They wouldn't even flat out draft a RT, there is no chance in hell Rex will want to give a CB.
    You don't waste a 1st round draft pick on need. If the Jets rated Coples as a top 10 player and rated Reif at around 30, you think it would have been smart to take Reif?

If we had taken Reif and he turned out to be solid, but Coples turned out to be a superstar, SOJF's like you would be crying that we passed on Coples for a quick fix at RT.

Hall Of Fame

Unhappy

scraping the barrel : 3 vet. ot's still on the market

> http://thejetsblog.com/uncategorized...on-the-market/

Hall Of Fame
    fyi :

Detroit Lions' Gunther Cunningham knows difficult roster decisions are coming

> http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...m_content=ESPN

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    fyi :

Detroit Lions' Gunther Cunningham knows difficult roster decisions are coming

> http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...m_content=ESPN
    Hopefully Tanny doesn't pull similar sh1t like two years ago when we traded Lowery for a scrub who the Jets FO though might fill a need and he didn't even make the roster.

If we do make a trade, I would like us to trade for Cliff Avril. What do you think the Lions will want for him? I think it's a bad idea to trade Kyle Wilson though, without him we'll be hurting at nickel.

Quote Originally Posted by KingofNY View Post
    Hopefully Tanny doesn't pull similar sh1t like two years ago when we traded Lowery for a scrub who the Jets FO though might fill a need and he didn't even make the roster.

If we do make a trade, I would like us to trade for Cliff Avril. What do you think the Lions will want for him? I think it's a bad idea to trade Kyle Wilson though, without him we'll be hurting at nickel.
    Lowery was traded for a draft pick...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofNY View Post

we better keep kyle wilson or else...