Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London Jaguars

Great move by Shahid Khan. One step closer to globalizing the NFL.

just move that god forsaken team to Los Angeles and be done with the charade

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Globalizing the league is a terrible idea.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    Nothing stays the same, not even good ol' American Football the beginning of the end.

If we globalize the league, it won't be in the UK. That's just not going to happen. A Canadian team is more likely.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    If we globalize the league, it won't be in the UK. That's just not going to happen. A Canadian team is more likely.
    The problem with moving to Canada can be seen in the way the NFL and MLB have had problems with Canadian team. Because we do not operate on a common currency, the Canadian teams eventually get screwed b/c they have to pay salaries in US $'s when attendance income is generated in CD $'s.

Eventually, costs and revenues get out of whack and the team's fall behind American teams.

In terms of TV, the reality is that there aren't an enormous amount of TV's in Canada that don't already get the NFL. Plus, all those TV's are spread over an enormous land mass. Thus, adding a team in Toronto isn't likely to generate huge ratings in Calagary or Vancouver.

I think we all know why Mexico isn't considered a prime expansion candidate for the NFL.

In contrast, London represents a foothold in a huge market that is relatively affluent.

If I owned a NFL team in a Bad Market (Jacksonville, Buffalo, Boston (LOL)), I would look to move my team to:
    1) Los Angeles - fix the stadium problem and you should mint money.
    2) San Antonio - the country is moving South and that Alamodome ain't bad.
    3) London - the travel issues are the only reason it is not second.

Undrafted Free Agent
    To hell with globalizing the league .. I reckon in 2015 there's a 1 in 8 chance that the Jets will be playing in a stadium that's at least 3000 miles closer to me than normal on gameday....might make it a little easier to get to

I feel bad for those Jaguar fans in general. Now, they'll only have 4 home games to enjoy while watching 12 away games each and every season. I couldn't care less if these games are considered as being home games for the Jaguars, because when you're traveling all the way to London? It's a road game. I can't picture high profile players agreeing to sign with the Jaguars during free agency either, especially considering the fact that they'll be travelling to London 4 times per year while being 'that much further' from their family and loved one's. In another Country at that. All this travel, players not wanting to play for a franchise like that etc, etc. All the makings of a laughing stock/disaster franchise moving forward.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by TampaBayJet View Post
    I feel bad for those Jaguar fans in general. Now, they'll only have 4 home games to enjoy while watching 12 away games each and every season. I couldn't care less if these games are considered as being home games for the Jaguars, because when you're traveling all the way to London? It's a road game. I can't picture high profile players agreeing to sign with the Jaguars during free agency either, especially considering the fact that they'll be travelling to London 4 times per year while being 'that much further' from their family and loved one's. In another Country at that. All this travel, players not wanting to play for a franchise like that etc, etc. All the makings of a laughing stock/disaster franchise moving forward.
    It's not 4 games per yer. It's one game a year for the next 4.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    It's not 4 games per yer. It's one game a year for the next 4.
    That makes more sense. I should've read the entire article before posting, but heard on ESPN Jaguars, 4 games, London and assumed they were playing 4 games per season out there. 1 game over the next 4 years does make a lot more sense.

Hall Of Fame
    Might be doing it w/o MJD, Espn about to talk about "Jones-Drew Trade Talk".......

Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Might be doing it w/o MJD, Espn about to talk about "Jones-Drew Trade Talk".......
    Let's get him. Does he like running behind Wayne Hunter?

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    The problem with moving to Canada can be seen in the way the NFL and MLB have had problems with Canadian team. Because we do not operate on a common currency, the Canadian teams eventually get screwed b/c they have to pay salaries in US $'s when attendance income is generated in CD $'s.

Eventually, costs and revenues get out of whack and the team's fall behind American teams.

In terms of TV, the reality is that there aren't an enormous amount of TV's in Canada that don't already get the NFL. Plus, all those TV's are spread over an enormous land mass. Thus, adding a team in Toronto isn't likely to generate huge ratings in Calagary or Vancouver.

I think we all know why Mexico isn't considered a prime expansion candidate for the NFL.

In contrast, London represents a foothold in a huge market that is relatively affluent.

If I owned a NFL team in a Bad Market (Jacksonville, Buffalo, Boston (LOL)), I would look to move my team to:
    have you seen what the canadian dollar has done the past 10 years or so. it's at parity with the greenback.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaBayJet View Post
    in addition by playing in London, you have to pay taxes on 1/16 (each game assuming 1 game a year) of your yearly income (including endorsements) to them.

read that this was why that good sprinter didn't do races in england.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    +1

I am all for some exhibition games or a one-off like this, but I don't want any greedy bastard making a mockery of my sport. It would be like having an English Premier League team here in NYC. What's the point??

I am quite happy to watch EPL on tv and the league is quite happy to make some money while I do it. There's no extra point gained from actually physically expanding into what becomes an untenable logistical situation. If Godell had his way the teams would be playing 18 games a year plus playoffs and flying halfway around the globe while doing it. Sorry, that's just not going to work. You would need expanded rosters even to manage to get to the finish line and the level of play would end up being compromised.

As has been pointed out elsewhere, there are quite a few cities here in the US (or canada) that would make for an expansion more beneficial to the NFL fanbase as a whole.
    Last edited by adpz; 08-22-2012 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post

Since when is San Antonio a country?

Will probably be blacked out in the UK for lack of interest in the Jags too

All League
    Lol its hilarious watching them try and "globalize" football

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Vin View Post
    Since when is San Antonio a country?
    You are a funny man. The population growth in this country is in the South.