Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mortensen says we're trying to replace Hunter

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    Dennis Waszak Jr.
    ‏@DWAZ73
    Tannenbaum says fans should anticipate Labor Day weekend to be "a mini-draft for us." So, #Jets roster far from finalized.
    Reply Retweet Favorite
    12:15 PM - 21 Aug 12 via web Embed this Tweet

If he said that its an indictment on his drafting and personnel decisions.
    The irony is that 2012 maybe Tanny's best draft in years, but it's been overshadowed by Tebow and the Hunter disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Umm, not neccessarily...

It means that he only had 7 picks in the last draft, and so many players available in FA, and because of the number of players that will become available over that weekend, there is a new player pool to pick up players from, and quite probably players the team either scouted for the draft, or have targeted in FA.
    the 2009-11 drafts were subpar. i think tanny finally wised up and went BAP this year and kept his picks, and it looks good early on. however, the team is still suffering from the prior 3 drafts. if he keeps drafting like he did this year, over time the talent level will be upgraded, but the problem in the short term is that they didn't address 1 position in particular and now every team in the nfl knows they have the worst RT in the nfl and no backup.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Wow, deciding to replace the starting RT 2 weeks before the season when they could've done that in March.

If Rex actually cared about the offense rather than his precious defense who knows what might have happened.
    Please stop trolling. You have the Giants now. These are not your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Led Halen View Post
    OK, so the entire board is b*tching non stop 24 hours that the FO needs to do something to step up and replace Hunter in some way. Now the news breaks that the Jets are in fact actively trying to replace Hunter, and you still sit there and b*itch about it?
    I agree! I'm just happy to hear they are actually trying to do something about it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    There are some teams that are loaded and will be cutting players that can be useful.
    Yes. They are called playoff teams.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Wow, deciding to replace the starting RT 2 weeks before the season when they could've done that in March.

If Rex actually cared about the offense rather than his precious defense who knows what might have happened.
    This 100%

This is what I meant when I said in a post over 8 months ago; that the Jets FO while Ok, frequently does not evidence a COMPREHENSIVE plan for the team.

Because no COMPETENT GM would have, based on last years performances, believed that Hunter should have been an NFL starter.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    IF the Jets signed someone, he would not start on Sunday vs. Carolina (unless Hunter and his new contract are dumped by the Jets)
    The only way the Jets can "dump" Hunter's contract is to trade him.

Who would trade for this guy?

Veteran
    Dennis Waszak Jr.
    ‏@DWAZ73
    Tannenbaum says fans should anticipate Labor Day weekend to be "a mini-draft for us." So, #Jets roster far from finalized.
    Reply Retweet Favorite

If he needs to articulate that to the fans he is either facing more pressure than I expected or the Jets Public Relations Department is in major spin control"

"Mini-Draft on Labor Day Weekend ? " Hilarious nonsense.

The Jets should be looking to pick up pieces after August 31st like every single team in the NFL; fine tuning their roster with minor replacement parts. To be looking to pick up a starting right tackle off roster cuts is laughable, if true.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Hunter can go back to his ideal position: a 6th lineman in tackle-eligible/jumbo sets
    they never should have waited this long to address the RT issue. Denial is the only word you can use.
    I read that he even got burned at that position yesterday in practice.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    If Tanny didnt blow the ducasse pick, wed have a 2nd round RT talent on the roster.

Actually, if you look how the draft fell, the only decent OLineman picked after Vlad, is Veldheer

Everyone else that year was garbage

Really a weak draft all around

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...2010/draft.htm

Dennis Waszak Jr.
    ‏@DWAZ73
    Reply Retweet Favorite

Absolutely !

Due to poor management decisions and downright negligence we're forced to sift through other teams' trash to fill out our roster. It's pretty embarrassing.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    IF the Jets signed someone, he would not start on Sunday vs. Carolina (unless Hunter and his new contract are dumped by the Jets)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    The only way the Jets can "dump" Hunter's contract is to trade him.

Who would trade for this guy?
    Agreed, they can dump Hunter but not his 2.4 million dollar guaranteed contract ... that stays on the books - no one would trade him for him beyond a packet of peanuts.

Hunter could be useful to the Jets as a situational back up if he can get his head on straight and get healthy (if that is part of his problem). I was never impressed with him as a player but I find it hard to believe he is as bad as what I saw on Saturday night.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    [/B]

Absolutely !

Due to poor management decisions and downright negligence we're forced to sift through other teams' trash to fill out our roster. It's pretty embarrassing.
    Nobody was questioning Tanny and his "poor mgmt decisions" when we went to back to back AFC CHampionships

Maybe, just maybe he mortgaged a little bit of our future to get us so close those 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Agreed, they can dump Hunter but not his 2.4 million dollar guaranteed contract ... that stays on the books - no one would trade him for him beyond a packet of peanuts.

Hunter could be useful to the Jets as a situational back up if he can get his head on straight and get healthy (if that is part of his problem). I was never impressed with him as a player but I find it hard to believe he is as bad as what I saw on Saturday night.
    everyone raves about how athletic he is, yet he gets burned in practice and games. you have to figure his confidence is shot too.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    If Tanny didnt blow the ducasse pick, wed have a 2nd round RT talent on the roster.
    Picks are going to be blown once in awhile. Never gonna bat a 1000. Ducasse and Gholston on one side of the draft, Revis and Harris on the other side. Win some ya lose some. I still think Tanny is pretty good with the draft overall.

What I find extremely alarming is knowing what you have in DuCasse and Hunter and thinking it would undeniably work without a back up plan in place. Trying to now find a RT two weeks before the season is unacceptable to the paying public. Then again, it hasnt stopped this current FO before (Pete Kendal/ Alan Fanaca). It is why I am so irate and venting here daily on JI.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway

Believe it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Actually, if you look how the draft fell, the only decent OLineman picked after Vlad, is Veldheer

Everyone else that year was garbage

Really a weak draft all around
    Well then Jimmy Graham would have been nice.

FIND SOMEone else. Hunter or Howard will be back up. They are not keeping 3 right tackles. Unless Howard can also play guard or left tackle. Anyway you look at I'd be HAPPY for Tanny to find a legit starting calibar RT. Sanchez cannot be successfull with Hunter there. Its over.

Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    What I find extremely alarming is knowing what you have in DuCasse and Hunter and thinking it would undeniably work without a back up plan in place. Trying to now find a RT two weeks before the season is unacceptable to the paying public. Then again, it hasnt stopped this current FO before (Pete Kendal/ Alan Fanaca). It is why I am so irate and venting here daily on JI.
    This. i think they had a good draft this year, and they seem to have taken BAP so you can't fault them for reaching for a RT in the draft. but RT should have been addressed somehow. and ducasse has to be on the verge of being cut, since he's the 4th string guard and can't play RT or center.

If he needs to articulate that to the fans he is either facing more pressure than I expected or the Jets Public Relations Department is in major spin control"

"Mini-Draft on Labor Day Weekend ? " Hilarious nonsense.

The Jets should be looking to pick up pieces after August 31st like every single team in the NFL; fine tuning their roster with minor replacement parts. To be looking to pick up a starting right tackle off roster cuts is laughable, if true.
    I am surprised more fans and posters do not have the same feeling. Spot on!....