Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VICTOR CRUZ ??

Veteran

Arrow VICTOR CRUZ ??

While listening to Sirius radio today I heard something for the 2nd time that I am about 99.9% sue is not true. Since the Giants game it has been $hit on the Jets non stop but today Howard David & Amani Toomer said that at one point Victor Cruz was with the Jets before the Giants. Now I think I know the Jets pretty well and remember Cruz having that great preseason game vs the Jets back in 2010 but at no time did I think he was with us before the Giants. Just wanted to check to see if anyone remembers him being signed with us and being cut before he ever put on pads for some odd reason.

Anyway we were getting blasted for how bad we looked AND we were getting killed for letting Cruz go too. This is the kind of stuff people at the bars bust my balls about and because it was on the radio everyone believes it.

All League
    as far as I remember hes an UDFA that went right to the Giants

All League
    Cruz was NEVER with the Jets. He had his coming out party against the
    Jets in 2010 during our pre-season game. That was captured on Hard
    Knocks when Rex asked Coughlin who #3 was, he's pretty good. That
    moron Greg Buttle said the same thing this Saturday during the game

Totally incorrect. He went undrafted out of UMass, and was signed by the Giants.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I don't know what's worse....being as big an idiot as Greg Buttle and simply making something like that up or being lemmings like Howard David and Toomer and repeating what Greg Buttle says.

Buttle ran out of things to say during the broadcast on Saturday and simply concocted that one. He was an UDFA who went straight to the Giants.

All League
    Even if it was true so what. Idiots just like kicking someone while their down.

He was an UDFA its not like he was a first round pick that we cut in camp.

What about all the other stupid teams that passed him up in the draft?

There are guys like this all over the league. James Harrison was cut like 7 times before he caught on and became a sack master.

Ever hear of Wayne Chrebet? No one drafted him! Guess all the other teams in the league are dumb.

We get the same argument for Tom Brady all the time. I hate it. It the pats were so smart and knew Brady was going to be so good then why did they wait till the 6th round to draft him.

Teams take a chance on guys like Cruz every day and guess what, every once and awhile it works out.

No if he could only stop doing that stupid dance maybe I could like the guy

The idea that Cruz was ever a Jet was put forward by some drunken like commentary by Greg Buttle on Sat. night's broadcast, and there was no challenge to it or correction made by Ian Eagle.

Whatever chatter there was about this probably came from those watching the broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Buttle ran out of things to say during the broadcast on Saturday and simply concocted that one.
    That actually made me LOL.

cruz was never a jet, that was nonsense.

here is a true indictment of tannybums:

He was scouting ducasse who was on the same team and in the same graduating year as cruz and he ended up picking ducasse in the 2nd rnd and never even took a flyer on cruz!!!

Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    cruz was never a jet, that was nonsense.

here is a true indictment of tannybums:

He was scouting ducasse who was on the same team and in the same graduating year as cruz and he ended up picking ducasse in the 2nd rnd and never even took a flyer on cruz!!!
    Bullseye on the Tanny miss...

Buttle must have been thinking of Derrick Ward who was plucked from out PS to the Giants and had a productive couple of years.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Buttle must have been thinking of Derrick Ward who was plucked from out PS to the Giants and had a productive couple of years.
    or Danny "DJ" Ware

Quote Originally Posted by VERMONT JET View Post
    While listening to Sirius radio today I heard something for the 2nd time that I am about 99.9% sue is not true. Since the Giants game it has been $hit on the Jets non stop but today Howard David & Amani Toomer said that at one point Victor Cruz was with the Jets before the Giants. Now I think I know the Jets pretty well and remember Cruz having that great preseason game vs the Jets back in 2010 but at no time did I think he was with us before the Giants. Just wanted to check to see if anyone remembers him being signed with us and being cut before he ever put on pads for some odd reason.

Anyway we were getting blasted for how bad we looked AND we were getting killed for letting Cruz go too. This is the kind of stuff people at the bars bust my balls about and because it was on the radio everyone believes it.
    Tanny was to busy looking at Haitaian lineman to notice Cruz.

Yeah, Cruz was never on the Jets. But there was a story floating earlier this year that did involve him & the Jets. Apparently the Giants were on the fence about putting him on their practice squad in his rookie year, but they decided to keep him on the active roster after Rex made a comment about signing him off waivers.

Maybe this is what's confusing them?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...g-cut-in-2010/

Victor Cruz came close to getting cut in 2010
    Posted by Josh Alper on February 1, 2012, 10:16 AM EDT

Cruz was in a fight for one of the final roster spots as cutdown day approached at the end of the 2010 preseason. The team liked Cruz, but they also liked Derek Hagan and felt that Cruz could use some time on the practice squad. Giants vice president of player evaluation Chris Mara admitted to Mike Garofalo of the Newark Star-Ledger that the salsa dancing receiver was destined for waivers before some intervention from up above.

“He was saved by some upper-echelon Giants front-office people,” Mara said. “I’ll put it that way.”

According to Mara, Giants fans have Rex Ryan to thank for Cruz making it through the final cut. Cruz scored three touchdown passes to spice up an otherwise unmemorable preseason game between the Giants and Jets in the summer of 2010 and Ryan raved about him after the game. The voluble Jets coach went so far as to say he hoped the Giants cut him so that the Jets could pick him up. That helped the Giants make the decision to keep him because they felt sure that Cruz wouldn’t clear waivers and make it to their practice squad.

Ryan’s mouth hasn’t made him too popular with Giants fans over the last three years, but this is one instance where it seems his inability to keep his thoughts to himself worked out to their satisfaction.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    I think they (whoever said that) have Victor Cruz confused with WR Dan Depalma who was with the Jets last pre-season, got cut and then signed with the Giants....

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    Totally incorrect. He went undrafted out of UMass, and was signed by the Giants.
    What the hell are they smoking?

Jets scouts were so enamored by Vlad at UMass practices they never looked past the Oline to witness a certain WR whippin up and down the field with future HOF talent. Scouts had their diamond in the rough already.....bwaaahaa.

32 teams in the league misevaluated cruz - including the giants

As I recall, this old chestnut goes something like this:

1. The Jets missed out on Victor Cruz when Tanny was at UMass scouting Vlad.

2. If Rex Ryan didn't open his big fat mouth and point out to Tom Coughlin that the guy who had just caught 170 yards and 3TDs worth of passes (or whatever it was) was "pretty good" then Coughlin might have cut Cruz, which would have allowed the Jets to attempt to pick him up.

In the NY Media this translates to "Jets were too dumb to get/keep Victor Cruz because Tanny is a bad talent scout and Rex has a loud mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    32 teams in the league misevaluated cruz - including the giants
    We were too busy drafting players who dont play.