Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jets 8/21 News & Tweets

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

One of his boldest moves this offseason began taking shape while he sat in an airport with coach Rex Ryan in March. The two were sipping on Ben & Jerry's vanilla milkshakes and preparing to go to North Carolina's pro day - where they'd see their eventual first-round pick Quinton Coples - when the wheels starting spinning in Tannenbaum's mind. It was becoming apparent that Peyton Manning was going to Denver and Tebow would be available.
    "I turned to Rex and said, 'What do you think?'" Tannenbaum recalled.

"I thought, 'Wow!'" Ryan said. "I was kind of shocked about it. I didn't know what it was going to take for us to get him, but I knew that with Mike, we would definitely find out."

The two spoke to owner Woody Johnson and new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, who ran the wildcat offense with Miami and knew Tebow from the Senior Bowl a few years earlier. Tebow to the Jets? Even though they still had Sanchez, and just signed him to an extension?

"We were the only four people on the planet who knew about it," Tannenbaum said. "We felt unanimously that this man could help us win football games. That's why we got him. When the price and the risk are reasonable, you have to be opportunistic in this business."
    The above part is enlightening, to some extent. I'm not sure we've ever really heard the backstory behind the Tebow move. I'm sure most on here will be skeptical and claim it was purely a Woody move, but I tend to buy the general take on it from the article. Whether Ben and Jerry's milkshakes were actually involved, who knows? Actually, with those two, they probably were.

But bottom line, I am confident that the Tebow move was mostly a football move. I'm sure the PR aspect didn't scare Woody away like it would many other owners. But, Tebow's attributes are consistent with the philosophy of football that Ryan and Sparano subscribe to. And that is what was initially tantalizing.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Jets can only hope that a McKinnie type gets cut loose.
    And the Jets don't even need a former top-10 pick like McKinnie (although that would be nice).

I'd take a Jason Fabini at this point.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    And the Jets don't even need a former top-10 pick like McKinnie (although that would be nice).

I'd take a Jason Fabini at this point.
    This, 100 times over.

Said it before, Jets just need a starting JAG RT. That's it.

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    That doesn't mean anything with regard to his status on the team. Hunter has been nursing a back injury. #nyj

RT Wayne Hunter is not here tonight. The team excused him from tonight's practice, according to a person with knowledge of his status

Jets not in pads today. In jerseys and shorts.

Looks like Holmes (ribs/back) will be practicing in red non-contact pinnie again.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    That doesn't mean anything with regard to his status on the team. Hunter has been nursing a back injury. #nyj

RT Wayne Hunter is not here tonight. The team excused him from tonight's practice, according to a person with knowledge of his status
    They are messing with our heads now making us hope hes getting traded.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    The above part is enlightening, to some extent. I'm not sure we've ever really heard the backstory behind the Tebow move. I'm sure most on here will be skeptical and claim it was purely a Woody move, but I tend to buy the general take on it from the article. Whether Ben and Jerry's milkshakes were actually involved, who knows? Actually, with those two, they probably were.

But bottom line, I am confident that the Tebow move was mostly a football move. I'm sure the PR aspect didn't scare Woody away like it would many other owners. But, Tebow's attributes are consistent with the philosophy of football that Ryan and Sparano subscribe to. And that is what was initially tantalizing.
    Yup. I never would have dreamed it was over a Ben & Jerry's vanilla shake.

Rex and Tanny. Slurping away.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

This, 100 times over.

Said it before, Jets just need a starting JAG RT. That's it.
    I was saying this in another thread....why is it the Jets have such trouble finding a JAG to step in? That's all we needed to replace Kendall, that's all we need at RT. Other teams seamlessly slot in untested rookies against the Jets and they look like Munoz. In 08' (I think), we played the Seahawks with 5 rookies and Seneca Wallace as QB. He had all day.

The Pats have their 3rd string Center playing and somehow they manage to do fine. And Bill Callahan was a very accomplished OLine Coach, so I don't want to hear that Dante Scarnecchia is the only guy who can do that.

Looks like Holmes (ribs/back) will be practicing in red non-contact pinnie again.
    It suppose to be on the Jets web page if anyone is interested.

Jets Insider VIP

LOL. The Jets are protecting Hunter from getting booed mercilessly in practice.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I was saying this in another thread....why is it the Jets have such trouble finding a JAG to step in? That's all we needed to replace Kendall, that's all we need at RT. Other teams seamlessly slot in untested rookies against the Jets and they look like Munoz. In 08' (I think), we played the Seahawks with 5 rookies and Seneca Wallace as QB. He had all day.

The Pats have their 3rd string Center playing and somehow they manage to do fine. And Bill Callahan was a very accomplished OLine Coach, so I don't want to hear that Dante Scarnecchia is the only guy who can do that.
    I don't get it either. Other teams can do it. Why can't the Jets?

LOL. The Jets are protecting Hunter from getting booed mercilessly in practice.

this.

J LA SOUL ‏@2SMART4
    @DBergz13: good thing Wayne Hunter doesn't have a twitter. when he'd get all the abuse, he'd have no clue how to block people.<== #DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton View Post
    J LA SOUL ‏@2SMART4
    @DBergz13: good thing Wayne Hunter doesn't have a twitter. when he'd get all the abuse, he'd have no clue how to block people.<== #DEAD

Other questions heard around the Hunter household:

How do I stop telemarketers from calling my house?
    Is there a way to get rid of those annoying pop-up ads I keep seeing on the computer?
    What do you call that event where an entire neighborhood parties in the street?

Pace is not practicing for what the team calls "dental" reasons. Ok then!

Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31
    Sanchez with a great pass to Stephen Hill, who dropped it.

Dennis Waszak Jr. ‏@DWAZ73
    #Tebow threw pretty 50-yard bomb to Eron Riley _ but WR dropped it on good coverage by Julian Posey

No team drills for Holmes, Landry. Sapp, Schilens, Kerley, Lankster were on stationary bikes

Hill's had a few drops. He's grabbing right hand, wincing a bit, but not coming off field. Wonder if he aggravated finger.

Tebow with a beautiful pass to Stephen Hill in the endzone who drops it. Tebow runs over and taps him on the head.

Hall Of Fame
    Hill's had a few drops. He's grabbing right hand, wincing a bit, but not coming off field. Wonder if he aggravated finger.

Tebow with a beautiful pass to Stephen Hill in the endzone who drops it. Tebow runs over and taps him on the head.
    These WRs have to be the most fragile bunch of p****s ever assembled.

Defense having a field day vs. the Jets scond team OL. Dixon, Damon Harrison and Demario Davis and Lynn all sacked Tebow today.

So Lynn just sacked Tebow but he still threw a bomb to Hill who made a diving grab.

Seth Walder ‏@SethWalderNYDN
    Stephen Hill having a tough practice. 3 drops and several miscommunications or wrong routes.

who drafts a developmental player in the 2nd round?