Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Looking for the silver lining...

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,781
    Post Thanks / Like

    Looking for the silver lining...

    not trying to be a homer (god forbid), but just trying to point out a few things after the TWO PRESEASON (!!!!) games.

    1) No points in preseason is a big deal? a lot of 3 and outs? how many times did this offense go 2-3 quarters without scoring the past 3 years? how many 3 and outs? plenty. how many other first-team offenses have been struggling this preseason? more than a handful, check it out. eagles? Broncos? Giants? Chargers? Packers? their first teams aren't lighting up the scoreboard.

    2) Sanchez has played less than 3 quarters with WRs who are as green as they come. How can you get into a rythm with guys who are playing in their first ever NFL games? Holmes/kerley, will they help? Of course they will help. Not for 30 ppg, but if you don't think they will help ... well that's just silly.

    3) I have been watching these first two games over and over and there is no way this is Sparano's offense. no way. the jets have basically ran 5-6 plays of the playbook. they are using tebow as a traditional backup QB, get the reps and practice throwing. no called runs. no read option. no wildcat. nothing. Sanchez has missed a few downfield, but he just needs to air it out. but this O has been vanilla as it gets. it's kind of disturbing all the experts in the media haven't noticed this ... unless they don't watch the film like they say they do (I don't think they do).

    4) running game is getting a decent push up front. Greene has shown some flashes. if the jets were playing in a real game, they would stick to what was working. but it's preseason, you work on everything. maybe in game 3 if they are moving the ball running, they stick with it for the drive. get that TD. remember, the running game is going to be the focal point of the offense. It's the same OL as last year that, once the Jets committed to the run and got Mangold healthy, was running the ball at a 4.5 ypc clip.

    5) ok, Hunter blows, yes. the sacks are disturbing. and he might not be starting by week 1. but you play the preseason games to see what doesn't work. then you gameplan to put that guy in spots with as little pressure as possible. you get creative like OCs are supposed to. it happens every game in the NFL.

    6) The first team D is looking very good. top 5 good. first team has not given up a TD. there aren't many teams that can say that this preseason.

    I'm not happy with the play so far, but I also understand it's TWO PRESEASON GAMES! the backups have played more than the starters. it's a new offense. they are running simple, basic calls. it's takes a little time. things will get going. I am just tired of hearing how the Jets season is over after 2 preseason games. just blows my mind.

  2. #2
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    576
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with pretty much all your points. The main message is that seasons are not made in 2 preseason games. You make some excellent points, and because of this one of two things will happen:

    1. The masses will descend upon this positive thread and use their phenomenal talent evaluation, draft evaluation, and just overall spectacular football knowledge to make some very valid counterpoints (sarcasm) to your assessment or....

    2. This thread will sit here and none of the informed masses will garner it important enough to respond to. Much more important things to do like complain that our RT stinks, and then complain that the FO waited too long to make a move, and complain about how any players that are available aren't any good, and try to predict our record in 2013 because this year is obviously shot.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Durham, CA
    Posts
    8,402
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    not trying to be a homer (god forbid), but just trying to point out a few things after the TWO PRESEASON (!!!!) games.

    1) No points in preseason is a big deal? a lot of 3 and outs? how many times did this offense go 2-3 quarters without scoring the past 3 years? how many 3 and outs? plenty. how many other first-team offenses have been struggling this preseason? more than a handful, check it out. eagles? Broncos? Giants? Chargers? Packers? their first teams aren't lighting up the scoreboard.

    2) Sanchez has played less than 3 quarters with WRs who are as green as they come. How can you get into a rythm with guys who are playing in their first ever NFL games? Holmes/kerley, will they help? Of course they will help. Not for 30 ppg, but if you don't think they will help ... well that's just silly.

    3) I have been watching these first two games over and over and there is no way this is Sparano's offense. no way. the jets have basically ran 5-6 plays of the playbook. they are using tebow as a traditional backup QB, get the reps and practice throwing. no called runs. no read option. no wildcat. nothing. Sanchez has missed a few downfield, but he just needs to air it out. but this O has been vanilla as it gets. it's kind of disturbing all the experts in the media haven't noticed this ... unless they don't watch the film like they say they do (I don't think they do).

    4) running game is getting a decent push up front. Greene has shown some flashes. if the jets were playing in a real game, they would stick to what was working. but it's preseason, you work on everything. maybe in game 3 if they are moving the ball running, they stick with it for the drive. get that TD. remember, the running game is going to be the focal point of the offense. It's the same OL as last year that, once the Jets committed to the run and got Mangold healthy, was running the ball at a 4.5 ypc clip.

    5) ok, Hunter blows, yes. the sacks are disturbing. and he might not be starting by week 1. but you play the preseason games to see what doesn't work. then you gameplan to put that guy in spots with as little pressure as possible. you get creative like OCs are supposed to. it happens every game in the NFL.

    6) The first team D is looking very good. top 5 good. first team has not given up a TD. there aren't many teams that can say that this preseason.

    I'm not happy with the play so far, but I also understand it's TWO PRESEASON GAMES! the backups have played more than the starters. it's a new offense. they are running simple, basic calls. it's takes a little time. things will get going. I am just tired of hearing how the Jets season is over after 2 preseason games. just blows my mind.
    Dude.

    The weakness cant be hid anymore. You cant just "help" him out when he is plain as day incompetent to play at this level. It is 100% on the CS and FO. 100%

    How they didnt address this in the off season, and decided to "revamp" him with big bad Tony Sporano is a ****ing joke and insult to me as a fan.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,373
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think there are a lot of good points above. My main worry is the lack of proper playing time between Sanchez and the starting WR's ... preseason is usually where you want to fine tune things and get your timing down etc, they've just not had that opportunity under game conditions. This could hurt us early, especially as our schedule has a tough start.

  5. #5
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    159
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    not trying to be a homer (god forbid), but just trying to point out a few things after the TWO PRESEASON (!!!!) games.

    1) No points in preseason is a big deal? a lot of 3 and outs? how many times did this offense go 2-3 quarters without scoring the past 3 years? how many 3 and outs? plenty. how many other first-team offenses have been struggling this preseason? more than a handful, check it out. eagles? Broncos? Giants? Chargers? Packers? their first teams aren't lighting up the scoreboard.

    2) Sanchez has played less than 3 quarters with WRs who are as green as they come. How can you get into a rythm with guys who are playing in their first ever NFL games? Holmes/kerley, will they help? Of course they will help. Not for 30 ppg, but if you don't think they will help ... well that's just silly.

    3) I have been watching these first two games over and over and there is no way this is Sparano's offense. no way. the jets have basically ran 5-6 plays of the playbook. they are using tebow as a traditional backup QB, get the reps and practice throwing. no called runs. no read option. no wildcat. nothing. Sanchez has missed a few downfield, but he just needs to air it out. but this O has been vanilla as it gets. it's kind of disturbing all the experts in the media haven't noticed this ... unless they don't watch the film like they say they do (I don't think they do).

    4) running game is getting a decent push up front. Greene has shown some flashes. if the jets were playing in a real game, they would stick to what was working. but it's preseason, you work on everything. maybe in game 3 if they are moving the ball running, they stick with it for the drive. get that TD. remember, the running game is going to be the focal point of the offense. It's the same OL as last year that, once the Jets committed to the run and got Mangold healthy, was running the ball at a 4.5 ypc clip.

    5) ok, Hunter blows, yes. the sacks are disturbing. and he might not be starting by week 1. but you play the preseason games to see what doesn't work. then you gameplan to put that guy in spots with as little pressure as possible. you get creative like OCs are supposed to. it happens every game in the NFL.

    6) The first team D is looking very good. top 5 good. first team has not given up a TD. there aren't many teams that can say that this preseason.

    I'm not happy with the play so far, but I also understand it's TWO PRESEASON GAMES! the backups have played more than the starters. it's a new offense. they are running simple, basic calls. it's takes a little time. things will get going. I am just tired of hearing how the Jets season is over after 2 preseason games. just blows my mind.

    Amen

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Floral Park, NY
    Posts
    2,944
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree as well... and the D's our O has gone against aren't exactly slouches... not to defend Hunter either, because last year is all you need to see, but Tuck and Pierre Paul made some other linemen look bad last year as well...

    One thing that killled me and reminded me of Shoody is this "trick" hand off to the Full back on short yardage...I thought we were just going to line up and out execute people on plays like that...enough with trying to "trick" people like Shoddy liked to do...

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Floral Park, NY
    Posts
    2,944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    I think there are a lot of good points above. My main worry is the lack of proper playing time between Sanchez and the starting WR's ... preseason is usually where you want to fine tune things and get your timing down etc, they've just not had that opportunity under game conditions. This could hurt us early, especially as our schedule has a tough start.
    Yes... and one other thing is enough with giving Tebow all this time at QB...let McElroy play... maybe they want Tebow to fall on his face in the pre-season to quell the tebow talk as a starting QB...

  8. #8
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,152
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are just looking at the team, the trends and the performance on two games a lot of your points are valid. You simply can't do this. When you see actions and the level of play from previous years look exactly the same now as in those years with no progress you have every right to be worried.

    I also simply do not buy the 'we have not put any of our offense in' bit.

    This team is set up to do what it has been trying to do, run the ball and supposedly take shots deep. We have shown the same ability this year as last year in our attempt to go deep, as in nothing at all.

    This is not some 3-13 team loaded with rookies trying to find their way.
    We have a vet oline, a vet running back and a 4 year vet QB. And we stink so far.

  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5,699
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to start a thread in the same vein as what you have posted here.

    The defense looks OUTSTANDING, & they're playing it pretty much straight up.
    They will get better as the year goes on because of the added youth.
    Davis, Coples, Allen, Bush
    Plus the other depth guys are starting to shine Mauga, Bellore, Dixon, Richardson, even Devito looks quicker out there.
    I know the guy is a huge injury risk but you cannot deny that Landry looked beastly out there & the addition of Bell has added a lot more toughness to our safety position.

    Do u guys honestly believe that it wouldn't be Tebow in on those short yardage situations?
    Do u really believe that John Conner is Sparanos choice for short yardage.

    Like everyone else has stated, Sanchez has his top 3 wideouts out!
    Jordan White is my 7th round sleeper, guys gonna be a handful as a 3rd or 4th receiver.
    Tanny will make some more moves.
    The blocking TE might just come from the Pats cuts, at least the guy will come in with great coaching from Scarnechia.
    * I'm not hitting the panick button, the NFL is OVEREXPOSED this preseason with dire predictions of DOOM & GLOOM for many teams.
    Relax.

  10. #10
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,913
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing that killled me and reminded me of Shoody is this "trick" hand off to the Full back on short yardage...I thought we were just going to line up and out execute people on plays like that...enough with trying to "trick" people like Shoddy liked to do...
    That was Tony's favorite play in Miami. Ran it all the time with Lusaka Polite.

    Just look at Tony Sparano. Hand him a plate of meatballs, Im sure I get a nice dinner cooked from him.

    Put your entire offense in his hands, and your gonna get sh!tty plays in big spots. The guy has no credentials to be running an offense.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,373
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetStream View Post
    Yes... and one other thing is enough with giving Tebow all this time at QB...let McElroy play... maybe they want Tebow to fall on his face in the pre-season to quell the tebow talk as a starting QB...
    Part of me thinks they're wanting to show that they are willing to use Tebow as a "traditional" QB, so that teams don't automatically assume he's running the wildcat every time he's on the field.

    And also to keep Sanchez from getting killed.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    8,532
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    If you are just looking at the team, the trends and the performance on two games a lot of your points are valid. You simply can't do this. When you see actions and the level of play from previous years look exactly the same now as in those years with no progress you have every right to be worried.

    I also simply do not buy the 'we have not put any of our offense in' bit.

    This team is set up to do what it has been trying to do, run the ball and supposedly take shots deep. We have shown the same ability this year as last year in our attempt to go deep, as in nothing at all.

    This is not some 3-13 team loaded with rookies trying to find their way.
    We have a vet oline, a vet running back and a 4 year vet QB. And we stink so far.
    Bingo, we are seeing the same negative things from previous seasons, only magnified because we currently have the least talent at the skill positions since Rex took over.

    Sanchez being inaccurate and making boneheaded decisions? See his entire NFL career. Same issues have dogged him since he entered the league.

    Hunter getting beaten horribly by good pass rushers? See 2011 Jets.

    Lack of explosive plays? See 2011 Jets.

    Sparano operating an offense that doesn't scare anybody? See his entire Miami Dolphins career.

    Our backup QB being wildly inaccurate and not being able to operate conventional passing attack? See 2011 Denver Broncos.

    Our running game lacking bigtime playmakers? See 2011 Jets.

    This is a pattern and nothing looks improved through 2 preseason games, in fact, it looks worse than ever.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    great midwest -well not so great
    Posts
    8,760
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    That was Tony's favorite play in Miami. Ran it all the time with Lusaka Polite.

    Just look at Tony Sparano. Hand him a plate of meatballs, Im sure I get a nice dinner cooked from him.

    Put your entire offense in his hands, and your gonna get sh!tty plays in big spots. The guy has no credentials to be running an offense.
    how bout 2006?

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,781
    Post Thanks / Like
    in 2006, Sparano called the plays for the Cowboys and they scored the third most points in the league. And I am pretty sure Julius Jones was the RB for that team.

    The Jets scored the 13th most points in the league last season with the 10th most TDs scored. Not great, but both above average. Did the Jets offensive players get worse since last season? Is Sparano's scheme worse than Schotty's? Why can't the Jets match those numbers, if not improve, on them this year?

    If the Jets struggle a few games in, then, yes, maybe there is a problem. But to sit here and say it's over now, 2 preseason games in, is ridiculous.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,473
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    not trying to be a homer (god forbid), but just trying to point out a few things after the TWO PRESEASON (!!!!) games.

    1) No points in preseason is a big deal? a lot of 3 and outs? how many times did this offense go 2-3 quarters without scoring the past 3 years? how many 3 and outs? plenty. how many other first-team offenses have been struggling this preseason? more than a handful, check it out. eagles? Broncos? Giants? Chargers? Packers? their first teams aren't lighting up the scoreboard.

    2) Sanchez has played less than 3 quarters with WRs who are as green as they come. How can you get into a rythm with guys who are playing in their first ever NFL games? Holmes/kerley, will they help? Of course they will help. Not for 30 ppg, but if you don't think they will help ... well that's just silly.

    3) I have been watching these first two games over and over and there is no way this is Sparano's offense. no way. the jets have basically ran 5-6 plays of the playbook. they are using tebow as a traditional backup QB, get the reps and practice throwing. no called runs. no read option. no wildcat. nothing. Sanchez has missed a few downfield, but he just needs to air it out. but this O has been vanilla as it gets. it's kind of disturbing all the experts in the media haven't noticed this ... unless they don't watch the film like they say they do (I don't think they do).

    4) running game is getting a decent push up front. Greene has shown some flashes. if the jets were playing in a real game, they would stick to what was working. but it's preseason, you work on everything. maybe in game 3 if they are moving the ball running, they stick with it for the drive. get that TD. remember, the running game is going to be the focal point of the offense. It's the same OL as last year that, once the Jets committed to the run and got Mangold healthy, was running the ball at a 4.5 ypc clip.

    5) ok, Hunter blows, yes. the sacks are disturbing. and he might not be starting by week 1. but you play the preseason games to see what doesn't work. then you gameplan to put that guy in spots with as little pressure as possible. you get creative like OCs are supposed to. it happens every game in the NFL.

    6) The first team D is looking very good. top 5 good. first team has not given up a TD. there aren't many teams that can say that this preseason.

    I'm not happy with the play so far, but I also understand it's TWO PRESEASON GAMES! the backups have played more than the starters. it's a new offense. they are running simple, basic calls. it's takes a little time. things will get going. I am just tired of hearing how the Jets season is over after 2 preseason games. just blows my mind.
    Unfortunately this great thread will be mocked and buried, the mass know-it-alls on this site would rather drown in their own drunken drivel drool.

    ...for your efforts.

  16. #16
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    37,611
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's Preseason.

    It means almost nothing.

    Wake me when the season starts.

    Then (and only then) will I care how the team looks and plays.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,373
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Unfortunately this great thread will be mocked and buried, the mass know-it-alls on this site would rather drown in their own drunken drivel drool.

    ...for your efforts.
    Drunken Drivel Drool - the anti-KoolAid!!

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,373
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Sanchez being inaccurate and making boneheaded decisions? See his entire NFL career. Same issues have dogged him since he entered the league.
    Sanchez has been doing well on accuracy so far - 9 of 11 against the NYG defense is pretty accurate I'd say. As for boneheaded decisions - the pick was a bad throw more than a bad decision, if he'd led Turner with the ball it'd have been a completion. His fundamentals let him down (bad footwork) which is exasperating after hearing how much he'd worked on his footwork in the off season.

  19. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Providence, RI
    Posts
    2,045
    Post Thanks / Like
    The silver lining is that Hunter has been so bad this preseason that it will most likely force the Jets to get someone else Had he been below average, they probably don't even look for a replacement.

  20. #20
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,556
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario View Post
    The silver lining is that Hunter has been so bad this preseason that it will most likely force the Jets to get someone else Had he been below average, they probably don't even look for a replacement.
    It took Hunter getting lit up last week for this team to realize he can't start. My concern is why has it taken them this long to realize this? And how many other players on this team are or will be the next Hunter? There are issues with the coaches and the individuals who evaluate talent on this team.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us