Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jets are the only team in the NFL without

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets are the only team in the NFL without

A single WR, RB, or TE who has ever scored 9 or more tds in a season or drafted in the top 20! No playmakers on offense. Holmes has scored 8tds twice I believe so he is the closest.

The browns only have one and it is Trent Richardson who they just drafted. This was from a WSJ article will try to get the link later. There were other teams with only one also, I believe the rams with Stephen Jackson was another one.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Curtis martin had 2 seasons with 14 tds and other times he had more than 9, so this is totally wrong

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    We've definitely had numerous guys with over 9 tds over the years...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    A single WR, RB, or TE who has ever scored 9 or more tds in a season or drafted in the top 20! No playmakers on offense. Holmes has scored 8tds twice I believe so he is the closest.

The browns only have one and it is Trent Richardson who they just drafted. This was from a WSJ article will try to get the link later. There were other teams with only one also, I believe the rams with Stephen Jackson was another one.
    So you're saying we should sign Plax, and Mason? We have a couple WRs who will score 10 tds many times in the future, and not ones that did in the past.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, you mean current roster, I get it, duh...sorry

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post

And the Pats drafted a QB in the 6th rd how did that work out for them?? Better then the QB they got who was the first player chosen in the 93 draft..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This place is insane.

You have a QB on the roster who we traded up in the draft to get and is currently earning 3.25 in guaranteed salary this year and 8.25 guaranteed next year. How about he starts making some of the skill players around him better? After all, that is what QB's are paid to do.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennedy fried Toon View Post
    This place is insane.

You have a QB on the roster who we traded up in the draft to get and is currently earning 3.25 in guaranteed salary this year and 8.25 guaranteed next year. How about he starts making some of the skill players around him better? After all, that is what QB's are paid to do.
    Ummm I will play.

How pray tell does a QB make the skill players around him better when a) the OL play is horrible (even the coaches are now admitting it!!), b) the RBs are average at best and the WRs can't get seperation from the defense (think two of last years starters here Mason & Plex one or both of whom are not even in the league because of this very defect)?

This isn't fantasy football or Madden where you just plug a guy in and he performs the same regardless of those playing around him. Ask Montana and Steve Young if throwing to Rice is the samething as throwing to Keller, Mason, Plex or Turner etc.

I hate to admit it but Brady has been the best in the modern era of lifting guys around him but even he can't do it all the time see Moss and Ocho as examples and he has crazy good OL play.

Finally please with all this "elevate" the players around the QB talk; kindly tell me of a QB in NFL history that was successful in winning a SB in which a) there was poor OL play, b) below average play at the RB position and c) WRs who couldn't get seperation on their routes?

I eagerly await your list....
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 08-22-2012 at 09:11 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Ummm I will play.

How pray tell does a QB make the skill players around him better when a) the OL play is horrible (even the coaches are now admitting it!!), b) the RBs are average at best and the WRs can't get seperation from the defense (think two of last years starters here Mason & Plex one or both of whom are not even in the league because of this very defect)?

This isn't fantasy football or Madden where you just plug a guy in and he performs the same regardless of those playing around him. Ask Montana and Steve Young if throwing to Rice is the samething as throwing to Keller, Mason, Plex or Turner etc.

I hate to admit it but Brady has been the best in the modern era of lifting guys around him but even he can't do it all the time see Moss and Ocho as examples.

Finally please with all this "elevate" the players around the QB talk; kindly tell me of a QB in NFL history that was successful in winning a SB in which a) there was poor OL play, b) below average paly at the RB position and c) WRs who couldn't get seperation on their routes?

Dead on. The only one even close was Elway

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This place is insane.

I think one of the points of the article is that we don't have quality skill position players around Sanchez. And I don't know how much Sanchez is guaranteed this year but if it's 3.25 million that's chump change for a QB. Isn't Wayne Hunter guaranteed 2.5 million or something close to that?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally please with all this "elevate" the players around the QB talk; kindly tell me of a QB in NFL history that was successful in winning a SB in which a) there was poor OL play, b) below average play at the RB position and c) WRs who couldn't get seperation on their routes?

This is a valid point. I agree with all your observations. What solution do you suggest ?? Stand pat ? Magically create a RT, RB and Wide Out corps from thin air ??

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    found the link and article

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Anxious Jets fans decry the team's lack of playmaking. Some point at quarterback Mark Sanchez (pictured); others blame the porous offensive line. But the answer may be more simple: Playmaking requires playmakers, and the Jets don't seem to have any.

The Jets are the only NFL team without a single running back, wide receiver or tight end who has either scored nine or more touchdowns in a season or was a top 20 NFL draft pick, according to Stats LLC. And despite posting just 18 offensive plays of 30 or more yards, the team still opted for defensive lineman Quinton Coples with the 16th overall pick in the 2012 draft.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum has failed to strike playmaking gold out of lower draft slots. Tight end Dustin Keller (30th overall pick in 2008) has never found the end zone more than five times in four Jets seasons, and his career touchdown total is less than the 17 registered just last season by New England Patriots 2010 second-round pick Rob Gronkowski. Tailback Shonn Greene (65th overall pick in 2009) relies on power, but he finished 30th in the league last season with just 2.23 yards after contact per rushing attempt.

The Jets invested heavily in receiver Santonio Holmes when re-signing him as a free agent in 2011. Holmes rewarded them with a career-best eight touchdowns—a total still bettered 60 times by receivers since he entered the league in 2006. Furthermore, Holmes's 12.8 yards per reception ranked 43rd last season among receivers with 40-plus catches.

The Jets did trade up in April for wide receiver Stephen Hill, a size (6-foot-4) and speed (4.3 40) freak who fell to the second round. But Hill seems unlikely to have the immediate playmaking impact that the Jets desperately need, considering he caught just 49 passes in his collegiate career.

Here are the NFL teams with the fewest number of running backs, tight ends or wide receivers who have either scored nine or more touchdowns in a season or were top-20 draft picks.

TEAM NUMBER Players
    Jets 0 N/A

Browns
    1 Trent Richardson

Colts
    1 Reggie Wayne

Rams
    1 Steven Jackson

Bengals
    2 A.J. Green, BenJarvus Green-Ellis

Bears
    2 Matt Forte, Brandon Marshall

Bills
    2 Stevie Johnson, C.J. Spiller

Ravens
    2 Ray Rice, Anquan Boldin

Redskins
    2 Tim Hightower, Santana Moss

Steelers
    2 Rashard Mendenhall, Mike Wallace
    Vikings 2 Adrian Peterson, Percy Harvin

Dolphins 2 Steve Slaton, Reggie Bush

Raiders 2 Darren McFadden, Darrius Heyward-Bey

Source: Stats LLC

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4559769]Ummm I will play.

First off, the point I was trying to make is that it is difficult to have highly talented skill players at every position especially when your QB is being paid in excess of how he performs on the field. I understand the rookie salary structure at the time and there is nothing that can be done about that but it is what it is. Whining about skill players doesnt help our situation.

Mason didnt play last year and Plax was productive in the red zone. Neither were the answer and this is an indictment on the front office which, as many here seem to have forgotten, also ignored the OL during Mangini's tenure and the issues we are having now shouldnt really come as a suprise.

Who said anything about fantasy football? I simply made a statement about the play of our franchise QB and what I perceive to be a lack of development and maturity. Sure he is being pressured and has limited time to throw but his pocket presence is atrocius, he still doesnt grasp the concept of chucking the ball out of bounds when there is no one open or when he is under duress and he is still locking into one receiver based on pre snap reads and at times horribly underthrowing balls.

I hate to admit it but Brady has been the best in the modern era of lifting guys around him but even he can't do it all the time see Moss and Ocho as examples and he has crazy good OL play.

I seem to recall Moss having pretty good years with Brady and its not Brady's fault that Ocho cant grasp the playbook. How about a QB like Brees? He seems to do well with a variety of average to good weapons. For clarification, I am not talking about HOF caliber play. I am talking about average to good. There are a handful of QB's in this league that still get it done with average talent.

None that I can think of but again thats not my point. A good QB can help to mask those deficiencies. Unfortunately, Sanchez, to date, excacerbates those deficincies with an inability to read defenses, escape a collapsing pocket and be wholly accurate with his passes. This is the point I a making. Sure the O-line has issues and we do lack talent at the skill level positions but a QB's play can help make up for those issues. Unfortunately, our 1st round game manager has shown little to no marked improvement in the areas where it matters.

I appreciate the snarky response though. And people wonder why there cannot be decent conversation in this place. Sure Sanchez is not the root of our problems but he certainly is one. Anyone who will tell you otherwise is lying to themselves.

Personally, I fault the front office for not having a strategy on both sides of the ball and this dates back to the twilite of Pennington's career as a Jet. With Pennington, we knew his limitations and the FO had personnel which suited his abilities. Unfortunately, we still do not know what to expect with Mark and his erratic QB play. Sure the RT situation is not helping neither does the revolving door at WR but he is in his 4th year and has been payed handsomely. I am no longer making excuses for the guy. Its about time he start playing consistently and stop making the same mistakes we have seen him commit year in and year out.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geez that was ugly

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    the jets are going to have the worst offense in the NFL this season. lock it up

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

It's good to know that people are finally acknowledging that Sanchez is utter garbage unless he has a top 5 running game, oline and defense and that he was not at all responsible for the back to back AFC title games. That is essentially what you are saying right?

There have been tons of good QB's who have hidden deficiencies on their teams whether it be oline, wr or defense. It's very very rare that a team is strong in all of those areas and that is what makes the great Qb's in this league great and the mediocre ones mediocre.

Manning has had terrible olines, brady has had no name WR's and terrible defenses. Rogers has had bad olines and bad defenses. Rothlisburger has had bad pass blocking olines.

Last year for the first time our Qb had to deal with some real deficiencies on the team and with three games left he had the chance to help lift the team into the playoffs, he played some of his worst ball in the last number of games.

Have some balls and have some actual accountability for his play rather than making lame excuses. Bad oline play, bad WR's, bad Running game had zero to do with him making a terrible pick 6 throw last game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    None that I can think of but again thats not my point. A good QB can help to mask those deficiencies. Unfortunately, Sanchez, to date, excacerbates those deficincies with an inability to read defenses, escape a collapsing pocket and be wholly accurate with his passes. This is the point I a making. Sure the O-line has issues and we do lack talent at the skill level positions but a QB's play can help make up for those issues. Unfortunately, our 1st round game manager has shown little to no marked improvement in the areas where it matters.

A Hall of Fame QB can ratchet the players around him to another level... We all know that Sanchez is not a HOF QB. How many are playing in the NFL right now? 3 or 4?

All of a sudden you are now asking Sanchez to not just be a competent QB but to raise his game to HOF because we are unable to surround him with talent...

Bottom line is this, we all need to see what this offense will look like in the regular season. The OL has been crap in the preseason and it has impacted the entire offense. Ideally, let get the OL in a little better shape with a new RT and see where things go from there...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennedy fried Toon;4559845]
    Personally, I fault the front office for not having a strategy on both sides of the ball and this dates back to the twilite of Pennington's career as a Jet. With Pennington, we knew his limitations and the FO had personnel which suited his abilities. Unfortunately, we still do not know what to expect with Mark and his erratic QB play. Sure the RT situation is not helping neither does the revolving door at WR but he is in his 4th year and has been payed handsomely. I am no longer making excuses for the guy. Its about time he start playing consistently and stop making the same mistakes we have seen him commit year in and year out.

Very nice response my friend. Not trying to be snarking, just pointing out what you said above.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post

A Hall of Fame QB can ratchet the players around him to another level... We all know that Sanchez is not a HOF QB. How many are playing in the NFL right now? 3 or 4?

All of a sudden you are now asking Sanchez to not just be a competent QB but to raise his game to HOF because we are unable to surround him with talent...
    Bottom line is this, we all need to see what this offense will look like in the regular season. The OL has been crap in the preseason and it has impacted the entire offense. Ideally, let get the OL in a little better shape with a new RT and see where things go from there...
    Did I say he needs to ratchet his game up to HOF status in my post? Whats with this place and putting words in people's mouths to suit their own arguements?

I said he is committing the same mistakes over and over again since year 1 in the NFL. Please re-read my post. Elminating those mistakes will have positive impacts on the offense and will make those better around them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did I say he needs to ratchet his game up to HOF status in my post? Whats with this place and putting words in people's mouths to suit their own arguements?

I said he is committing the same mistakes over and over again since year 1 in the NFL. Please re-read my post. Elminating those mistakes will have positive impacts on the offense and will make those better around them.
    Agreed, how about Mark quickly finding the hot receiver and getting rid of the ball instead of looking at the pass rush before falling down...very similar to Kenny O towards the end of his career