Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evan Moore TE Browns

Evan Moore TE Browns

There was an article out today saying that if the Browns dont keep 4 TEs, Moore could be the odd man out.

Moore goes 6'6 250lbs, which isnt exactly huge from a blocking standpoint. He is a decent receiver as a TE who has also lined up as a WR from time to time (although that is probably more due to the brown lack of WR depth).

He finished last year with 34 catches and while he has been criticized for his blocking, his ESPN scouting report reflects that he isnt a terrible blocker.

Moore is a tall, lean built tight end with good athleticism. He is an effective blocker to wall off at the point of attack. Moore creates mismatches in the passing game with his length, especially in the red zone.

If we really are going to use 2 TE sets, then our TEs need to be able to also be WRs, which makes Moore potentially a good fit, even though he isnt a "blocking TE".

He's a good receiver, but couldn't block a small child.

Then again, anything's an upgrade over Jeff Cumberland.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    He's a good receiver, but couldn't block a small child.

Then again, anything's an upgrade over Jeff Cumberland.
    Cumberland is definitely a better receiver then Moore. Might as well keep Cumby if neither of these guys can block.

All League
    Much like RT, the Jets will be scouring the cut players list for a blocking TE. I really wanted them to sign Martellus Bennett this past off-season, but oh well...

Speaking of TE's, I haven't heard much from Tarren LLoyd... anyone have any info, or have seen him in practice?

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    Cumberland is definitely a better receiver then Moore. Might as well keep Cumby if neither of these guys can block.
    Interesting point of view....cumberland has 3 career catches in 2 seasons and Moore has 62 for 5 tds in 3 seasons. Not to mention, cumberland is a converted TE with zero blocking experience, let alone actual NFL game experience while moore has been a contributor for the past 2 full seasons.

Looking at the full list of TEs, it is very hard to find a good blocker, who isnt just another Olineman in there. The Titans actually gave a 4 year deal to their second string "blocking" TE illustrating how valuable these guys are. Im really not sure who out there is in danger of losing their spot and who could help out more then Moore.

If he can at least be adequate blocking and a good receiver, then maybe it will give us some options, especially if tanny can pull a RT out of his a$$

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    Really? Cumberland can't catch a lick. What are you basing this on? A fluke couple of Preseason games in 2010? Guy has been AWFUL this year EVERY DAY of practice and in every game. He's a stiff. Looks the part, plays like ****. Can't way for him to be gone.

Get rid of Cumberland and Hunter. PLEASE..

Blocking TE is a big need. I'm confident Tanny will pick someone up (as well as RT and RB and WR).

We do not need another receiving TE. We need a clocking TE, find one of those that name does not start with an M and end in ulligan

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    We do not need another receiving TE. We need a clocking TE, find one of those that name does not start with an M and end in ulligan
    Beer, if we are going to put a guy out there who is a blocking beast, and poor receiver, then at this point we might as well play 6 olineman along with 2 WRs and Keller in the slot/second TE role with 1 RB.

We want to play smashmouth football, and run max protect anyway, so why not put howard at RT and Hunter at "TE" on his side and at least let the 2 of them slow the rush.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but the matt mulligans of the world arent going to force the defense to cover them anyway, so why not at least be able to power run, protect the QB, and hopefully one of our guys can get open.

They had one and while he wasn't good, he was serviceable...

They thought they were fine with Mulligan in his place...

They were wrong...

On the bright side, if the plan is to roll Sanchez out to the left all season, we'll be fine...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Ideally, we'd have a 2nd TE who was primarily a blocking TE but who could also catch. I always use Matt Spaeth, when he was on the Stillers as the quintessential example (I have no idea what he did on the Bears, TBH). But, looking at our roster as it currently stands.....Do we really need to go out and find a blocking TE right now?

I was in this camp too for a while but the Jets basically use their blocking TE as a 6th lineman, so why not simply use the 6th lineman and use the extra roster spot on a receiving TE, which really is more valuable in the long run? If the choice is cutting Cumberland or Baker in exchange for some crap TE who can block perfectly fine but can't catch a lick, might as well just keep those guys and use Austin Howard in jumbo sets.

The team doesn't throw to that guy anyway, as much as we could have. And now, I have no hope that we could find a guy who blocks who also could even catch a cold. Might as well use the roster space for someone else.

The way they are playing Cumby in the pre I wouldn't be shocked if we trade Keller and just picked up 2 new TEs toplay with Cumby. They are not going to resign him so if they can get a 5th rounder or a OT for him I wouldn't say no.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    We need a guy who can do both.

Where's Chris Baker when you need him?

I'm tired of having a #2 TE with no blocking skills or a guy who is strictly a blocker and totally useless in the passing game.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    We need a guy who can do both.

Where's Chris Baker when you need him?

I'm tired of having a #2 TE with no blocking skills or a guy who is strictly a blocker and totally useless in the passing game.
    Doesnt it seem kind of baffling as to why the Jets can not seem to find an "all around" TE?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Doesnt it seem kind of baffling as to why the Jets can not seem to find an "all around" TE?
    Even Sean Ryan (the TE, not the poster) could catch an occasional ball when it was thrown to him.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Agreed....the giants let boss go and it was a "big deal" and ballard stepped right in and there was no dropoff. It seems like just because we have had keller here, we neglected the position.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Agreed....the giants let boss go and it was a "big deal" and ballard stepped right in and there was no dropoff. It seems like just because we have had keller here, we neglected the position.
    When you dont value draft picks or trade them for veteran players, this is what happens. You have to rely on late round picks, UDFAs and guys who played rugby to step up.

The Jets need guys who can catch the ball. If we can't get the WR (or can't keep our WR healthy enough to play) then let's get some TE who can. We could use Keller at TE + someone else as the H-Back. Anything to get some offensive weapons on the field to help Sanchez.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Ideally, we'd have a 2nd TE who was primarily a blocking TE but who could also catch. I always use Matt Spaeth, when he was on the Stillers as the quintessential example (I have no idea what he did on the Bears, TBH). But, looking at our roster as it currently stands.....Do we really need to go out and find a blocking TE right now?

I was in this camp too for a while but the Jets basically use their blocking TE as a 6th lineman, so why not simply use the 6th lineman and use the extra roster spot on a receiving TE, which really is more valuable in the long run? If the choice is cutting Cumberland or Baker in exchange for some crap TE who can block perfectly fine but can't catch a lick, might as well just keep those guys and use Austin Howard in jumbo sets.

The team doesn't throw to that guy anyway, as much as we could have. And now, I have no hope that we could find a guy who blocks who also could even catch a cold. Might as well use the roster space for someone else.
    Because having a sixth OL is only good in running plays or if we want to play action deep on an early down.

What do we do on 3rd and 6 when it is too far to run the ball and we cannot pass protect? Having a sixth OL accomplishes nothing. At least if you have a TE who can walk and chew gum at the same time, he can chip the defensive end, buy Hunter/Sanchez and extra half second, and then become a dump-off option.

We had the option to get someone cheap like Daniel Fells or Daniel Graham, in fact Graham was available all summer until a week ago, but we chose not to. We need a complement to Keller, especially if we want to live up to this ground and pound we are preaching, but as it stands our two backup TEs are crappier replicas of Keller.