Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does a great game against the Panthers cure all?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i wonder if the jets lay another egg on offense against the panthers, will the jets play offensive starters in the last and final preseason game

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    It would be nice to get a little confidence in our offense. The preseason basically means jack sh!t....BUT, you want to see something, anything, to give you a little confidence.

I think the Jets have purposefully not rolled out their true offense, and I think that's a good thing, but I'd just like to see one completed drive where the starting offense is able to assert their will on the defense. While they've been inconsistent throughout Sanchez's tenure here, there have always been times where the Offense appears dominant for a short period of time. Just want to make sure we still have that going into the season - as little as that really means.

It would also be good to see Hunter settle down and have an uneventful game. For his own confidence more than anything. His performance was so atrocious on Saturday, anything positive will likely be overblown.
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I havent given up on the season based upon the Giants debacle, but I think we all know that going forward, a strong performance by the O-line would be HUGE, as I believe the other pieces will fall into place one way or the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heineken08 View Post
    A Win against the Bills Week 1 will cure all
    All three of these posts are solid responses...

Any offensive consistency shown will be a huge plus... That would factor into the line play, which if Hunter is settled in will make both fans and him gain at least some confidence back...

Then the obvious, regardless of what happens, the Bills game will be a big step toward showing what the team is about in the first portion of the season... Like Crash, I too feel we're holding back on offense... I'm not saying how we're playing is excusable, just that it's not what I'm expecting to see come opening day...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course it cures all. For all the overreacting to the first 2 meaningless preseason games, the same will happen in the other direction if the Jets "dominate" this meaningless preseason game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Feankly, no.
    Feankly, I don't give a damn.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    So if we come out of the Panthers game with...

• The offense scoring 3-4 touchdowns
    • No sacks allowed on our QB
    • Our QB having a confident high 60's completion percentage and zero turnovers
    • Decent running game numbers
    • No Injuries
    • No Shanked punts
    • The first team defense playing shut down ball

Does that cure what ails this franchise and its fan base?
    The only silver lining in the current dark cloud is that the absolute failure of the offense to function and score TD's has put the FO in panic mode about the OL and perhaps the WR and RB issues. If it has done only that and resulted in Tanny bringing in some potential fixes, the dismal performance will have served a useful purpose. If we were low to middling, the FO may very well have been comfortable in their complacency that all is well. Can't do that as things stand.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Game 3 is the most important if you want to make any kind of snap judgement during the preseason. Game 3 is where they actually game plan the opponent and the last game the starters will see any significant play time. So if they do well ... Yeah. ... It should make people feel better.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate having the flaws exposed in preseason.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    It wouldn't cure all, but it make all of us feel a lot better. More importantly, it might just give the team that little extra confidence it almost certainly needs.

If you're going to play well in the pre-season it might as well be in Week 3 when it is the closest (but still far off) from what you'll get in the regular season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would put as much stock into it as I did the previous two games: relatively little. Hopefully they perform well so the offense can gain some momentum and confidence, but no individual preseason game is make-or-break.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would make me feel a whole lot better. Wins and losses don't matter in the preseason, but I do pay attention to what the 1st teams do against each other.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

• No Injuries
    • No Shanked punts

I think a great game will go a long way. For me personally I just need to see improvement from some key players.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

• No Injuries
    • No Shanked punts

It's a mix of many of the answers already posted. Reality is that preseason games don't mean jack. But, we've already seen people packing it in for the season and talking about how absolutely terrible this year is going to be. If game 3 goes like you scripted, many of those will do a complete 180.

Part of the remainder of that group will suddenly recognize that preseason games are indeed meaningless and will say that the team still sucks, that the coaches suck, that the FO guys suck and that the owner sucks. They will then predict doom and gloom for this season.

Overall, people will still have all the varied opinions of the team, the only thing that will change will be the distribution/frequency of each opinion.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    4-2 to open the season...with some Tebow thrown in there...people will be hailing the Jets coaches as heroes...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    All I care about at this point is to limit the injuries and get everyone back to being healthy before game 1.
    I would like to see the team enter the season on a roll and with some confidence that they can execute offensively.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    No. Every dog has its day. It will matter what happens come the start of the season. Right now if we can get out of the first five games at 2-3, people should do backflips.
    2-3????? Hell, I want 4-1, screw that, with our defense and running game. Bills, Steelers and Dolphins don't scare me at all. So we need to split with the 49'ers and Houston to be 4-1. Lets get er done.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    I would like to see the team enter the season on a roll and with some confidence that they can execute offensively.
    I think it's especially important for the QB to find the endzone at least a couple of times in the pre-season.

That's not too much to ask, is it?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    It would make me feel a whole lot better. Wins and losses don't matter in the preseason, but I do pay attention to what the 1st teams do against each other.
    +1

People can say that the preseason doesn't matter, and while the record definitely doesn't, what the 1st-stringers do in the games does matter. And it doesn't have to be perfect football, but you should at least see a productive drive or two from your first team offense and flashes of shut-down play from your defense. That's it.

To answer the original question, no it doesn't cure all, but if the first 4 bullets happen I'll be extremely happy as a fan of this team.

We know the defense will keep this team competitive, and we've already seen the "flashes" from them in the first two games. Offense owes us the same.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only if the first-team O does very well early on. Panthers not known to have a great D and may be resting guys because it's preseason. But I need to see something in the 1st quarter when we'll likely be facing the majority of their first team D.

Slow starts on offense, 3 and outs, etc. doomed us so many times last year. This team needs to show it can move the chains and put up points early in a game.

Also, if Newton plays, will be interesting to see how first team D fares especially considering how the mobile Vick destroyed them last year

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Of course not. Don't you know the routine by now? If the Jets stink in
    PRE-SEASON that means the season is over before it starts and everyone
    should be fired. If the Jets play well in the PRE-SEASON it doesn't matter
    because PRE-SEASON doesn't count and they were playing against a bunch
    of players who were going to end up at UPS
    ^this^ But it will make reading the articles on the jets better

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

• No Injuries
    • No Shanked punts

The people that have no clue will still have no clue and say it was a fluke.