Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Austin Howard Our Starting RT?

All League

Austin Howard Our Starting RT?

Seen this a couple places now after last night...

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Don't be surprised if Austin Howard gets more and more time at right tackle for the Jets and winds up as the starter. Howard has impressed.

Thoughts on this?

Are we ok with this?

Is this going to be a problem going forward?

Is Howard really better than Hunter?

We are ****ed.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Better off going with the 3rd year guy take your lumps, find a replacement if he doesn't pan out next year. They can't start playing musical linemen. Cultivate you own, buy one, or draft one next year.

Banned
    Why not? Can't be worse than Hunter. He looked fine against Cincy when he was with the ones on the right side. The sacks on Sanchez in that game were from backs and TEs doing a poor job in blitz pickup.

He appears to struggle more on the left side for whatever reason.

as stated above I thought howard played well vs cinci, I watched the 2nd half of the giants game at a bar so could not comment on how howard played in the giants game. I read some comments that howard was pushed around a bit vs giants, anyone have any comments on how howard played sat night?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Braumeister View Post
    Why not? Can't be worse than Hunter. He looked fine against Cincy when he was with the ones on the right side. The sacks on Sanchez in that game were from backs and TEs doing a poor job in blitz pickup.

He appears to struggle more on the left side for whatever reason.
    I didn't get a good look at him against Cinci, did he really hold his own?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    When he played on the right side with the starters, yes. He actually held his own. Later he moved to LT with the twos and gave up a sack.

The guy actually has potential as a RT.

He did. The 2 sacks were due to a blitz that we were just outnumbered on and then a whiff by cumberland. Howard was also mentioned for having a good block on one of the runs. Very small sample size though.

IMO there is simply NO WAY he can be worse then hunter, so by default, he should get all the first team reps on sun night.

I didnt see the second half vs the giants when he played, but he was in at LT, not RT so its tough to judge really, especially considering it was with the full 2nd unit (i believe).

Give the kid 3 quarters with the 1s sun night and lets at least see how we do.

All Pro
    Seen this a couple places now after last night...

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Don't be surprised if Austin Howard gets more and more time at right tackle for the Jets and winds up as the starter. Howard has impressed.

Thoughts on this?

Are we ok with this?

Is this going to be a problem going forward?

Is Howard really better than Hunter?

We are ****ed.
    I thought Howard looked like Hunter, Jr. agains the Giants 2nd unit the other night. What is their definition of "impressed?" Giving up 3 sacks instead of 4?

I think there is more upside with Howard as a young guy with size and power. Hunter is a known commodity and not likely to improve his game much at this point in his career -- I believe 31 and in his 9th year. Let's give Howard a shot.

My question, is Hunter injured or just bad?

Jets Insider VIP
    Been saying that for a few weeks now....why not? At least Howard can run block. Baby steps get on a bus, right?

Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    I think there is more upside with Howard as a young guy with size and power. Hunter is a known commodity and not likely to improve his game much at this point in his career -- I believe 31 and in his 9th year. Let's give Howard a shot.

I really want to believe that Hunter is Injured. But after the Giants game, I just want to call him bad. HE DOESN'T EVEN HOLD!!! HE LETS HIS QB GET KILLED!!

Howard = impressed
    Hunter = total disaster

Not much of a decision, Howard should be the starter right now. The more game time he gets with the 1st team the better. Make the switch now not after your starter has given up another 3 run homer.

All League
    I don't know if Howard is the answer or not (I can only hope).

But, I absolutely DO NOT want to hear injury excuses for Wayne Hunter. Dude was perfectly healthy last year and was a complete disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post

Hunter has had a case of poor footwork/balance since last season. If you look at the sack he gave up sat vs JPP compared to the one vs denver last year when von miller could have obliterated sanchez, they were very similar.
    In both cases, Hunter loses his balance as he is backpedaling and trying to set his base, once his feet are off-balance, he is simply thrown aside with a simple "one-armed shove". This makes him a huge liability vs any kind of bull rush.

Hunter has almost perfect size and strength for the position, but at this point, his confidence is completely gone. Even if he is out there, he will constantly be thinking about his footwork, which will lead to even more problems as we saw sat night. There are plenty of below average players in the league, but to give us 3 sacks in 2 quarters (one was nullified) screams of player who is lost mentally. Plus, as we saw sat, teams will just put their best DE lined up against him and allow them to feast....our offense cant face that type of disadvantage.

Im sure howard is no all-pro, but at this point, if he can at least stay in front of a DE, its an improvement.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    I thought Howard looked like Hunter, Jr. agains the Giants 2nd unit the other night. What is their definition of "impressed?" Giving up 3 sacks instead of 4?
    That's what I am talking about.

If we are "impressed" by this guy, we are REALLLYYYYY ****ED

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Hunter has had a case of poor footwork/balance since last season. If you look at the sack he gave up sat vs JPP compared to the one vs denver last year when von miller could have obliterated sanchez, they were very similar.
    In both cases, Hunter loses his balance as he is backpedaling and trying to set his base, once his feet are off-balance, he is simply thrown aside with a simple "one-armed shove". This makes him a huge liability vs any kind of bull rush.

Hunter has almost perfect size and strength for the position, but at this point, his confidence is completely gone. Even if he is out there, he will constantly be thinking about his footwork, which will lead to even more problems as we saw sat night. There are plenty of below average players in the league, but to give us 3 sacks in 2 quarters (one was nullified) screams of player who is lost mentally. Plus, as we saw sat, teams will just put their best DE lined up against him and allow them to feast....our offense cant face that type of disadvantage.

Im sure howard is no all-pro, but at this point, if he can at least stay in front of a DE, its an improvement.

Wow, I have never heard so many compliments about some journeyman. I think we are all punch drunk by this whole situation. If Howard is the answer, we are staring at 6-10 right in the eyes. This is about to get bad, real bad.

Lesser of two evils, I guess. Howard sucks, too, but hopefully he can suck just a little less.

Quote Originally Posted by JetinHuntersville View Post
    Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Lesser of two evils, I guess. Howard sucks, too, but hopefully he can suck just a little less.
    A little less sucking is all this team needs to get a couple of extra wins and back to the playoffs.

We will be fine with a completely league-average, replacement level RT.

I had hoped that Hunter could be this, he doesn't look like he can be.

Let's hope Howard can.