Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets 8/22 News & Tweets

Jets 8/22 News & Tweets

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Rex Ryan says Pouha won't practice today. Holmes is "progressing" and will hopefully "play some" vs Panthers, he says

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Rex said Hunter, Pace will practice today

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    Rex begrudgingly admits that my report that Eric Smith will miss rest of preseason is correct. "Manish is right." ... thanks, Rex

Dennis Waszak Jr. ‏@DWAZ73
    Santonio Holmes and Jeremy Kerley are possibilities to play Sun vs Carolina

Rex: "You want to have a defense that can pick your team up." #nyj

Well, it becomes much more difficult for a defense to do that when it's constantly returning to the field after three-and-outs.

Jake Steinberg ‏@Steiny31
    "The defense will have to pick up our offense at one point during this season. But the offense will also have to pick up the defense." - Rex

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Rex: "I think this could be a really good defense." Says he's emphasizing conditioning to group to play fast.

Our defense will be really good but they will also fade like they have done in other years when they are on the field all the time and get demoralized.

One thing I am encouraged about is the fact that I think or safeties are much more equipped to make teams pay for mistakes. We are going to have to win the turnover battle a lot and we have a much better chance to do so without Smith and leonard back there.

Rex said they would consider practicing against another team in preseason next year, as Pats and Bucs are doing today

Rex said he doesn't see Sanchez + Tebow in game together this week. Sanchez will run first-team offense, Tebow will close out game.

Sapp & Schilens both with high ankle sprains..Tough to evaluate them..Both were playing well before their injuries

"There's nothing @Sapp55 can do. Injuries are part of football. It's unfortunate. He sacked a QB and came up with a high ankle sprain." -Rex

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Sapp & Schilens both with high ankle sprains..Tough to evaluate them..Both were playing well before their injuries

"There's nothing @Sapp55 can do. Injuries are part of football. It's unfortunate. He sacked a QB and came up with a high ankle sprain." -Rex
    Schilens will get cut and Sapp will head to the PS. Sucks, because I wanted to see him live.

All Pro

How could Schilens have been playing well before his injury. Are they referring to 2008?

Hall Of Fame

The issue with both of these players have been injuries, nothing has changed this year. The Schilens signing was a mistake, huge mistake.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The issue with both of these players have been injuries, nothing has changed this year. The Schilens signing was a mistake, huge mistake.
    I see his contract is 1yr, $700k with $500k guaranteed according to the link below. Can't have it both ways. People want the FO to bring in vet talent and I would assume the WR coach who we now have and coached him in Oakland lobbied for him. I don't think it was a "huge" mistake. Lets see if he ever gets on the field or if they cut him outright before we can make that call.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/chaz-schilens/

Veteran
    I disagree with the huge mistake. He's big, fast, and has the tools to be an effective WR. His problem is staying healthy. We signed him to a one year deal in hopes he stayed on the field. There have been players injured early in their career that have managed to stay healthy later.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    I see his contract is 1yr, $700k with $500k guaranteed according to the link below. Can't have it both ways. People want the FO to bring in vet talent and I would assume the WR coach who we now have and coached him in Oakland lobbied for him. I don't think it was a "huge" mistake. Lets see if he ever gets on the field or if they cut him outright before we can make that call.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/chaz-schilens/
    It was a mistake because the guy has never been healthy. This is what he does, he plays he gets hurt, he plays, he gets hurt. The Jets needed another veteran WR this year and they signed a guy who has NEVER stayed healthy. This WR group is paper thin, Holmes HAS to stay healthy for 16 games.

Vrentas: Jets' Wayne Hunter, Calvin Pace return to practice

Right tackle Wayne Hunter and linebacker Calvin Pace will be back on the practice field for the Jets this afternoon, coach Rex Ryan said.

Hunter, who had a tough night against the Giants Saturday, missed yesterday's practice for what the team called "personal reasons." Ryan said Hunter will be with the starting line in Sunday's preseason game against Carolina.

Pace was getting a wisdom tooth removed yesterday.

NT Sione Po'uha (back), WR Chaz Schilens (high ankle sprain) and S Eric Smith (knee) have been ruled out of Sunday's game. It doesn't sound like LB Ricky Sapp, who also has a high ankle sprain, will play either.

Sapp suffered the ankle injury in the Aug. 4 Green and White scrimmage, so he has not had the chance to play in any preseason games. Ryan said he still feels "pretty good" about Schilens.

Ryan said WRs Santonio Holmes (ribs/back) and Jeremy Kerley (hamstring) have a chance to play.

Ryan doesn't anticipate Tim Tebow taking any snaps with the first-team offense against the Giants.

"We'll go with Mark (Sanchez), and then when it's time, we'll put Tebow (in) to close out the game," he said. "Do I see them in there together? No, I don't see that."

Ryan said the Jets would consider practicing against another team in the preseason next year, as the Patriots are doing against the Bucs today. He did not think this was the year as the Jets worked to install a new offense.

Ryan said during his time with the Ravens, they scheduled preseason practices against the Redskins.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...lvin_pace.html

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    I disagree with the huge mistake. He's big, fast, and has the tools to be an effective WR. His problem is staying healthy. We signed him to a one year deal in hopes he stayed on the field. There have been players injured early in their career that have managed to stay healthy later.
    Your point goes out the window because he was hurt the first week of camp and has not stepped on the field since. Not exactly confidence inspiring. The guy has logged more miles on the bike than Lance Armstrong this summer.

So we're going to go into Week 1 with the first team offense having never run the "Tebow Special" in an actual game? That seems like flawed thinking to me.

I hope it is a Tebow package and not just Tebow in Brad Smith's Wildcat role. Tebow is capable of a lot more than Smith was. But that seems like the most likely scenario to me, seeing as they've only spent 2 days (that I can remember) working on it.

It was a mistake because the guy has never been healthy. This is what he does, he plays he gets hurt, he plays, he gets hurt. The Jets needed another veteran WR this year and they signed a guy who has NEVER stayed healthy. This WR group is paper thin, Holmes HAS to stay healthy for 16 games.
    A low risk ($700K, $65K dead $ if cut), medium/high reward move...

http://nyjetscap.com/salary.html

Jets Insider VIP
    You are 100%

If as was the stated reason they didn't bring back Edwards back becuase he was cominng off an injury and he is playing and this guy, is on the sideline rehabing as usual....

The goal isn't to save MONEY but have players on the field playing!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 08-22-2012 at 01:16 PM.