Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Jets 8/22 News & Tweets

Hall Of Fame
    I'm not arguing that versatile players are a good thing.

I do not think we are deep at LB. I think we are thin at FB.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I'm not arguing that versatile players are a good thing.

I do not think we are deep at LB. I think we are thin at FB.
    We are deep at LB, especially ILB, which is where Bellore can play, and other than Connor, there aren't any FB's on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    We are deep at LB, especially ILB, which is where Bellore can play, and other than Connor, there aren't any FB's on the roster.
    You don't need more than 1 FB. A lot of teams don't even have 1 FB.

Jets Insider VIP
    I think the staff really likes Bellore but probably LOVE some of the other linebackers. IIRC last year the inside LBs were Scott, Harris, Mauga, and Bellore. They need to make room for Demario Davis and they may even want to carry Dowtin (I'm assuming he's not an OLB). There's no way they carry six and 5 may be pushing it.

Supposedly the Sparano O does not really use a FB so a combination of Bellore at FB and Baker at H-Back may be sufficient. I think Connor is toast.

Sparano called his number twice against the Giants needing just one yard and he failed both times. Now Bellore has a new number and a new position. If Bellore can prove to be serviceable Connor will be terminated.

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    That's a great stat. I've watched Greene since college, and he is no doubt at his best after he has been able to chip away at the defense. Whether or not he's able to stay healthy in the NFL carrying 20 times a game is yet to be proven, but to utilize him to his fullest potential, the Jets need to give him the chance to wear on the defense consistently throughout 4 quarters.
    Seriously, I don't understand the grief Greene gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgrlica3 View Post
    I think the staff really likes Bellore but probably LOVE some of the other linebackers. IIRC last year the inside LBs were Scott, Harris, Mauga, and Bellore. They need to make room for Demario Davis and they may even want to carry Dowtin (I'm assuming he's not an OLB). There's no way they carry six and 5 may be pushing it.

Supposedly the Sparano O does not really use a FB so a combination of Bellore at FB and Baker at H-Back may be sufficient. I think Connor is toast.

Sparano called his number twice against the Giants needing just one yard and he failed both times. Now Bellore has a new number and a new position. If Bellore can prove to be serviceable Connor will be terminated.
    I like that Mr. T and Rex have a good working relationship but Tanny seriously needs to show some cajones and make personnel decisions himself. No more of this, "Rex, you want this guy?" or "Rex, you get to make one selection in the draft."

Tanny is afraid of sticking his neck out on his own. If these are decisions by committee, he can always claim that everyone agreed to make a certain move. HIS job is to pick the players and tell Rex to make it work. I blame the mess at WR on this laughable way of picking players.

IIRC the decision to get Braylon and Santonio basically came down to Rex recalling having a hard time defending those two guys when he was the Ravens Def. coordinator. It may have worked out in the short-term but, in hindsight, this was the wrong approach. What the heck does Rex know about offense? Did Tanny even ask Schotty if those receivers would be good fits in HIS system.

Braylon, Santonio, Plaxico, Mason - all WRs whom Rex thought were studs at one point or another. And all were major headaches in the locker room who might've stunted Mark's evolution as the leader of the offense/team.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I don't either. He has his limitations,yes, but that doesn't mean he can't be effective. I always hear about playing to the strengths of Sanchez or Tebow, but never Greene. Greene isn't the type of back that you can give 13 carries and then wonder where the big plays are. He has to get the ball consistantly throughout the game to wear out the D...then he starts getting bigger chunks of yardage. It is no different than Curtis Martin or Thomas Jones(not saying he is the same caliber, just similar in their home run capability), so I don't understand why the coaches get away from the run for long stretches.

Hall Of Fame
    Greene needs to be more durable. He gets dinged up a lot. I also think he is not in the type of shape he should be in or could be in.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Greene needs to be more durable. He gets dinged up a lot. I also think he is not in the type of shape he should be in or coue in.
    Agree on the durability, hard to be a 20 carry a game back if you leave the field for stretches because you are dinged up.

He actually looks in better shape this year than he did last year to me, but we will see. I think he is playing with a chip on his shoulder this year and thats a good thing. He was down right pissed off last week when Connor got the 4th and 1 carry. I was happy to see that fire from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Yep, and Greene has had a fantastic pre-season and camp, it's getting overlooked because of the penalty issues and the struggles on offense as they work through the growing pains of a new offense, and along the OL, but Green has looked very good.

I was just watching the Giants game again, except for that INT, and some pass protection, I was happy with the Jets' offense to the point they were executing what was called, and Sanchez was making the right reads and right decisions.

I didn't care for some of the play calling, but it's pre-season, they are running through the cards, and evaluating players, not to mention missing 3 of their top targets at WR.

Very anxious to see Holmes and Kerley back this week, was hoping to get Schilens back this week.

I don't either. He has his limitations,yes, but that doesn't mean he can't be effective. I always hear about playing to the strengths of Sanchez or Tebow, but never Greene. Greene isn't the type of back that you can give 13 carries and then wonder where the big plays are. He has to get the ball consistantly throughout the game to wear out the D...then he starts getting bigger chunks of yardage. It is no different than Curtis Martin or Thomas Jones(not saying he is the same caliber, just similar in their home run capability), so I don't understand why the coaches get away from the run for long stretches.
    Exactly. I get really annoyed at the notion that everyone KNOWS our RT sucks horribly. Yet because our RB doesn't set the world on fire with fantasy stats it's because he sucks. What kind of sense does that make?!?! We readily admit that our OLine is crap but we blame our RB for not getting yards? Logic, some need it.

Our LT has to be the worst run blocking LT in the league. The Jets favorite run was off RT with Woody grading people out of the way. The year he is gone and the Jets lose their favorite run option and are forced to run it up the middle all season. The holes weren't there because they weren't prepared for that. This year I believe you're going to see a lot of running behind Mangold and Moore. They dominate the line in front of them and if Shonn can stay healthy he's going to get 1200 yards easy. That's my opinion.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by teng View Post
    I like that Mr. T and Rex have a good working relationship but Tanny seriously needs to show some cajones and make personnel decisions himself. No more of this, "Rex, you want this guy?" or "Rex, you get to make one selection in the draft."

Tanny is afraid of sticking his neck out on his own. If these are decisions by committee, he can always claim that everyone agreed to make a certain move. HIS job is to pick the players and tell Rex to make it work. I blame the mess at WR on this laughable way of picking players.

IIRC the decision to get Braylon and Santonio basically came down to Rex recalling having a hard time defending those two guys when he was the Ravens Def. coordinator. It may have worked out in the short-term but, in hindsight, this was the wrong approach. What the heck does Rex know about offense? Did Tanny even ask Schotty if those receivers would be good fits in HIS system.

Braylon, Santonio, Plaxico, Mason - all WRs whom Rex thought were studs at one point or another. And all were major headaches in the locker room who might've stunted Mark's evolution as the leader of the offense/team.
    Good post

All Pro

Yeah, those defensive coordinators don't know anything about offensive formations, strengths and weaknesses of players, offensive schemes that work or don't work, blocking, routes, etc. They work in a vacuum and make up plays that have nothing to do with the offense they're facing. They don't study tape of the offense, they just look at the defense....

This is just plain stupid and I wish people would quit saying it. It's like saying a grandmaster at chess playing the white pieces doesn't know anything about the black ones.

Hall Of Fame
    Agree on the durability, hard to be a 20 carry a game back if you leave the field for stretches because you are dinged up.

He actually looks in better shape this year than he did last year to me, but we will see. I think he is playing with a chip on his shoulder this year and thats a good thing. He was down right pissed off last week when Connor got the 4th and 1 carry. I was happy to see that fire from him.
    I think why a lot of Jet fans do not embrace Greene is because he lacks that break away ability and is a below average receiving threat. I dont think people view him as a lead back, but rather more of a really good compliment back. I think I read somewhere that in his career he has had about 550 carries and only 10 runs of 20 yards or more and has only 10 rushing TDs. It doesnt mean that he can not be effective, its just that he doesnt WOW anyone.

I have supported greene very heavily on the board, and I couldnt agree more about his need to get 20+ carries to get in a groove and wear down teh defense. If you look at his most effective games, it was after he had 17+ carries and then broke a run.

However I have to disagree about the durability issue. He is slow to get up sometimes, and getting hurt in Indy is something we all wont forget, but other then that, he has been very durable. 15 games in 2010 and 16 last year. All of which were facing 8 men fronts, not sure what else you can ask from him.

I will say his one biggest limitation is his ability to make guys miss...it does seem like he always runs into contact. He should still have an excellent year for us, and has been a better draft pick then the organization and he gets credit for.

He's afraid to stick his neck out? That's funny..He comes to the predraft presser and jokes he's assured to have more draft picks in '12 (4 comp picks) than what the Jets ended up with in '09 (3 picks)

So Tanny picks / acquires the players without any input from his HC and coaching staff? What a smart idea that is

And why wouldn't you consult with your HC who was the D Coord that had to defend Holmes/Edwards 2 games a yr? Nah, that would be a stupid idea...

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I have supported greene very heavily on the board, and I couldnt agree more about his need to get 20+ carries to get in a groove and wear down teh defense. If you look at his most effective games, it was after he had 17+ carries and then broke a run.

However I have to disagree about the durability issue. He is slow to get up sometimes, and getting hurt in Indy is something we all wont forget, but other then that, he has been very durable. 15 games in 2010 and 16 last year. All of which were facing 8 men fronts, not sure what else you can ask from him.

I will say his one biggest limitation is his ability to make guys miss...it does seem like he always runs into contact. He should still have an excellent year for us, and has been a better draft pick then the organization and he gets credit for.
    That explains why he was 30th in the league last year in yards after initial contact.