Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets 8/22 News & Tweets

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    A low risk ($700K, $65K dead $ if cut), medium/high reward move...

http://nyjetscap.com/salary.html
    Thats fine he is "low risk", but the Jets NEED another veteran WR on this team. Just look at how thin the group is when Holmes in injured. The mistake was relying on Schilens to be that vet WR. Thats where the mistake lies.

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    RT @caplannfl Veteran S Jim Leonhard passed the #Broncos physical on Tuesday. So he's off active/PUP

How can Rex not thing that he needs Howard to get reps withthe first team?

Is 3 extra quarters going to change Hunter after a fulls season of starting experience.

What a "NO-UPSIDE" move. How is he supposed to evaluate howard with the first group.

Thats really annoying.

Vrentas: Jets aim to improve in short-yardage situations

On Saturday night against the Giants, when the Jets were stopped on back-to-back third-and-1 and fourth-and-1 plays in the second quarter, Rex Ryan didn't take it well.

"I mightíve been more disappointed in those things than I was anything else," the Jets coach said after the game.

Those were two of three failed short-yardage attempts by the first-team offense in the preseason loss, the other one a third-and-1 in the first quarter. Fullback John Conner, who carried the ball on the first third-and-1 and the fourth-and-1 took responsibility.

"I put that on myself," Conner said this week. "There was some leakage back there, but at the same time, Iím the fullback. I've got to get that yardage, and I donít want to have a situation where Iím stopped again."

He added: "Iíve just got to get back in there and just put my foot in the ground and get the yardage that I need. The offensive line is doing a great job and hopefully they can sustain their blocks as well."

Offensive coordinator Tony Sparano and center Nick Mangold attributed the unsuccessful attempts to communication errors, as well as stout play by the Giants' defensive line.

On Conner's first third-and-1 run, Linval Joseph made a nice play to yank Conner back from behind. Shonn Greene was stuffed by Chase Blackburn on the second third-and-1.

On the fourth-and-1, Rocky Bernard got excellent penetration. On the TV broadcast, the commentators pointed out that right tackle Wayne Hunter appeared to pass off Bernard and head upfield, instead of doubling Bernard with right guard Brandon Moore. Bernard wound up crashing over Moore to get into the backfield, and Greene was visibly frustrated afterward.

Ryan said there was a mental mistake on one of the short-yardage stops, and this could have been the play to which he referred.

"We had very few mental mistakes," Ryan said. "We had one in one of those situations that cost us clearly on one of those plays. But that was the thing where I was really disappointed, because with our football team that (has to) be a staple. No matter who you are, we need to pick it up."

Ryan said he would not specify which play he was talking about, adding, "We got beat physically a couple times and again, technique wasnít as sharp as where we want it to be."

Conner said each of his carries were dive plays. He watched the film to see what perhaps could have gone differently on the play.

"Itís easy to look back and see things, but when youíre actually out there itís kind of hard to see a lot of the soft spots," he said. "Looking at the film thereís maybe a couple soft spots I could have hit, but at the end of the day, I think I did everything I could.

Conner added: "We rep it in practice, itís been successful in practice. For some reason we just couldnít get it going. Thatís one of the things weíre going to try to improve, is in short yardage and plays like that, itís got to be automatic. Weíve got to get it."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201..._flyout_sports

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    How can Rex not thing that he needs Howard to get reps withthe first team?

Is 3 extra quarters going to change Hunter after a fulls season of starting experience.

What a "NO-UPSIDE" move. How is he supposed to evaluate howard with the first group.

Thats really annoying.
    Good point. Hill should also be getting as many snaps with Sanchez as possible.

Miami Dolphins ‏@MiamiDolphins
    Philbin announces that G Eric Steinbach will be announcing his retirement from the NFL.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    It was a mistake because the guy has never been healthy. This is what he does, he plays he gets hurt, he plays, he gets hurt. The Jets needed another veteran WR this year and they signed a guy who has NEVER stayed healthy. This WR group is paper thin, Holmes HAS to stay healthy for 16 games.
    No it's not.

He was a low cost signing.

The kind of signing that every team makes, takes a chance trying to find lightning in a bottle.

We whine on one hand for no WR depth and then whine at a signing a guy for that spot? Plus given our cap number and the NFL not raising the cap ceiling, how many options were there. And we still aren't certain that he wont contribute as of now. No matter how slim the chances look today

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Hunter is indeed back at practice. Pace is here but he's not in the stretching lines so might not be practicing today

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Santonio Holmes does not have the red non-contact jersey on today

Good news!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    Santonio Holmes does not have the red non-contact jersey on today

Good news!
    Yeah, great news, the $45 million diva is ready to actually work again.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    No it's not.

He was a low cost signing.

The kind of signing that every team makes, takes a chance trying to find lightning in a bottle.

We whine on one hand for no WR depth and then whine at a signing a guy for that spot? Plus given our cap number and the NFL not raising the cap ceiling, how many options were there. And we still aren't certain that he wont contribute as of now. No matter how slim the chances look today
    Again, thats fine he was a low risk signing, but it doesnt change the fact that the Jets needed another WR who can actually contribute. To be surprised that Schilens is hurt yet again is foolish, this is what the guy is. Whats the point of signing a guy if he is always hurt? The mistake was thinking that Schilens would ever stay healthy. God help the Jets if Holmes can not stay on the field.

Jets Insider VIP
    From the Jets Facebook page...

If they are going to steal my Jets color on black and white idea, they could at least do a good job. The guy's shirt over Revis' right shoulder still has all of the green in it and the they screwed up his left arm taking all of the color out of it.

Overall sloppy work!

Hey Jets... Let the professional handle it!

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
    Bellore is wearing a white No. 48 jersey today (a fullback's number)

Nope. RT @jesterbeast: @jennyvrentas Hi Jenny, do you think this experiment with Bellore shows a lack of confidence in the Terminator?
    Last edited by C Mart; 08-22-2012 at 02:01 PM.

Veteran
    Your point goes out the window because he was hurt the first week of camp and has not stepped on the field since. Not exactly confidence inspiring. The guy has logged more miles on the bike than Lance Armstrong this summer.
    How does my point go out the window? He passed the physical, so he wasn't damaged goods. He got hurt, so did Holmes, Kerley, pouha, hunter, sapp, etc... At the time he was a cheap signing with decent potential. Hindsight is 20 - 20 but you can't say it was a bad idea then because of an injury later. Sometimes you have to roll the dice, and we did, probably hoping our training staff could keep him healthy. Ok we rolled snake eyes, but we didn't bet the house.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post

If they are going to steal my Jets color on black and white idea, they could at least do a good job. The guy's shirt over Revis' right shoulder still has all of the green in it and the they screwed up his left arm taking all of the color out of it.

Overall sloppy work!

Can their graphics artist play RT?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Again, thats fine he was a low risk signing, but it doesnt change the fact that the Jets needed another WR who can actually contribute. To be surprised that Schilens is hurt yet again is foolish, this is what the guy is. Whats the point of signing a guy if he is always hurt? The mistake was thinking that Schilens would ever stay healthy. God help the Jets if Holmes can not stay on the field.
    This works when you take the extreme of their top two WRs are being held out.

Not many teams would be able to operate without their top two WRs and then scraping the bottom of the depth chart for any period of time. Its camp, they;re not desperate....yet

Shillens has an ankle, lets see what happens first.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    How does my point go out the window? He passed the physical, so he wasn't damaged goods. He got hurt, so did Holmes, Kerley, pouha, hunter, sapp, etc... At the time he was a cheap signing with decent potential. Hindsight is 20 - 20 but you can't say it was a bad idea then because of an injury later. Sometimes you have to roll the dice, and we did, probably hoping our training staff could keep him healthy. Ok we rolled snake eyes, but we didn't bet the house.
    We didn't bet SAR 1's guest house

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post

Overall sloppy work!

We KNOW that you are the man on these pix crossfire

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Its not 20/20 hindsight when the guy has always been injured. Come on now. The guy gets hurt every year, it should not be a surprise, it should have been expected. Thats my point. To expect him to be healthy was the mistake.

Rich Cimini ‏@RichCimini
    Jets practice: Pace, Schilens, Sapp, Smith and Lankster working off to side on bikes