Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Otah being knocked into shape by LeCharles Bentley

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeff Otah being knocked into shape by LeCharles Bentley

LeCharles Bentley trying to get Jeff Otah back into shape

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 22, 2012, 2:09 PM EDT

As the Jets continue to try to figure out how to fix their right tackle spot, the guy they thought would handle it is trying to get his career back on track.

Former Panthers first-round pick Jeff Otah, whose trade to the Jets was negated when he failed a physical, has been working out in Cleveland with LeCharles Bentley to try to get his feet back underneath him.

“I believe he’s definitely going to be ready this season,” Bentley told Ian Rapoport of NFL.com. “At what point in the season, I’m not sure. As a former player going through my own medical issues, it wasn’t until I took a step back and let some of my own personal baggage go, with my particular situation, [that] my body really started to heal. And I think that’s similar with Jeff.”

Otah played just four games the previous two years because of knee problems, but there were conditioning issues as well. The Jets were willing to risk a conditional seventh-rounder on him, but after a week of standing around, they sent him back to the Panthers, who promptly cut him.

And in what must be a surprise to the Panthers, Bentley said Otah has “a workman-type mentality, which is what he needs right now.”

“To go through what he’s gone through, it wasn’t exactly easy,” the former Saints and Browns center said.

Bentley said Otah’s already down 12 pounds to 340 since arriving. They prepare three meals a day for him at Bentley’s facility, and he doesn’t work out until he eats breakfast.

He also punches a clock, and watches film of the days when he played to his draft grade in Carolina.

“As good as he was, he wasn’t the best he’s going to be,” Bentley said. “And once he understands that, I think it really drives home the point that, ‘I’m here for a purpose.’ Jeff Otah needs time here to get himself, not just back into the league, but back being the best player he can be. When he’s the best player he can be, he’s going to be pretty damn special.”

Getting him back on the field would be an achievement, and a pretty good advertisement for Bentley’s ability as a coach and a mentor.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign him...What the heck.. Sign Bentley too

Thanks for posting the article

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So who do we fire for fcking this one up?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Otah has the same agents as Revis. Throw a lowball offer out there. We can finally have the upper hand with one of their clients

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    We get Otah again and MJD... Christmas 08'12

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    From the article Otah has physical and desire issues. Give him a couple of
    weeks in Bentley's boot camp and maybe he'll be worth picking up

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Otah was out-of shape and soft for the Panthers. Minor injuries that you'd expect an NFL lineman to push through completely stopped him. And that behavior went on for several years in Carolina. So I have serious doubts he's had some sort of epiphany in the last couple of weeks and transformed himself into a tough, motivated player.

He's just trying to hoodwink some desperate team into signing him. Then he'll be back to his old habits.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who published the article? This smells promotional. I ain't buying it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Sign him...What the heck.. Sign Bentley too

Thanks for posting the article

You're welcome Cmart ... yeah I though similar. My guess/hope is that the Jets will sign him after week 1 of the regular season to avoid guaranteeing his contract for the year. After week one they are only committed to him on a week-to-week basis, so there is continued incentive on Otah to stay in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    Who published the article? This smells promotional. I ain't buying it.
    It's a legitimate question. It was originally published by Associated press, which as you know, means it could appear anywhere. It was re-published in the Bastion of Reliable Football Information, Profootballtalk.

We all know that his agents Schwartz & Feinsod, are adept at working the media on behalf of their clients ...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    You're welcome Cmart ... yeah I though similar. My guess/hope is that the Jets will sign him after week 1 of the regular season to avoid guaranteeing his contract for the year. After week one they are only committed to him on a week-to-week basis, so there is continued incentive on Otah to stay in shape.
    Agree!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Otah was out-of shape and soft for the Panthers. Minor injuries that you'd expect an NFL lineman to push through completely stopped him. And that behavior went on for several years in Carolina. So I have serious doubts he's had some sort of epiphany in the last couple of weeks and transformed himself into a tough, motivated player.

He's just trying to hoodwink some desperate team into signing him. Then he'll be back to his old habits.
    Being a soft Olineman is pretty much a career killer.

OLineman are the most injured players in football, but they have to tough them out to continue to play. These guys play with head injuries, shoulder injuries, broken hands, groin pulls, knee sprains, ankle sprains, etc.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Send Hunter there for a few days.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Being a soft Olineman is pretty much a career killer.

OLineman are the most injured players in football, but they have to tough them out to continue to play. These guys play with head injuries, shoulder injuries, broken hands, groin pulls, knee sprains, ankle sprains, etc.

NOTE: Jeff Backus has started at Left Tackle for the Detroit Lions for 176 straight games

************************************************** ***************************

Lions Notes: Backus doesn’t back off from broken thumb

Published: Thursday, August 02, 2012

By PAULA PASCHE
    Of The Oakland Press

ALLEN PARK — A broken thumb is just not enough to keep Jeff Backus off the practice field for long.

After injuring the thumb on his right hand on Saturday, he was sidelined for a few days. But on Thursday, he was back in action.

His thumb is in a cast and then covered with protection. His healthy hand has so much tape on it from past broken fingers that he looked like he had big, white Mickey Mouse hands.

Didn’t stop him from doing sled drills or much of anything else.

I’ve played with broken fingers and all that stuff,” said Backus, who hasn’t missed a start in 11 seasons. “You can look at my healthy hand, I’ve got tape everywhere. So I think that maybe the bulkiness of the cast I have to get used to, I’ll figure it out.”
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 08-22-2012 at 04:35 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, but can he play right tackle.....

oh, wait

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    So who do we fire for fcking this one up?
    What was screwed up? Trade was conditional on him passing a physical and he wasn't able to pass one. He's still not able to pass one now either but good for him that he's working out in a gym in Cleveland.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

send hunter there.............

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post

LeCharles Bentley trying to get Jeff Otah back into shape

Posted by Darin Gantt on August 22, 2012, 2:09 PM EDT

As the Jets continue to try to figure out how to fix their right tackle spot, the guy they thought would handle it is trying to get his career back on track.

Former Panthers first-round pick Jeff Otah, whose trade to the Jets was negated when he failed a physical, has been working out in Cleveland with LeCharles Bentley to try to get his feet back underneath him.

“I believe he’s definitely going to be ready this season,” Bentley told Ian Rapoport of NFL.com. “At what point in the season, I’m not sure. As a former player going through my own medical issues, it wasn’t until I took a step back and let some of my own personal baggage go, with my particular situation, [that] my body really started to heal. And I think that’s similar with Jeff.”

Otah played just four games the previous two years because of knee problems, but there were conditioning issues as well. The Jets were willing to risk a conditional seventh-rounder on him, but after a week of standing around, they sent him back to the Panthers, who promptly cut him.

And in what must be a surprise to the Panthers, Bentley said Otah has “a workman-type mentality, which is what he needs right now.”

“To go through what he’s gone through, it wasn’t exactly easy,” the former Saints and Browns center said.

Bentley said Otah’s already down 12 pounds to 340 since arriving. They prepare three meals a day for him at Bentley’s facility, and he doesn’t work out until he eats breakfast.

He also punches a clock, and watches film of the days when he played to his draft grade in Carolina.

“As good as he was, he wasn’t the best he’s going to be,” Bentley said. “And once he understands that, I think it really drives home the point that, ‘I’m here for a purpose.’ Jeff Otah needs time here to get himself, not just back into the league, but back being the best player he can be. When he’s the best player he can be, he’s going to be pretty damn special.”

Getting him back on the field would be an achievement, and a pretty good advertisement for Bentley’s ability as a coach and a mentor.

from the last post i send on bentley's camp, hunter has a leverage problem if he is as atheletic and strong as they say.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    if anyone is thinking otah maybe they need to think woody or matt light too. just say no and move on. i'm sure there are a couple of ex-giaints around. there will be someone available by the start if ducasse or scleurdeth or hunter or howard don't make the grade. hard to believe not one of those guys can at least make it a game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sens Hunter there and give Bentley a rod to cane him with

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know guys want to joke about sending Hunter there, but the camp is for out of shape OLinemen like Otah.

Hunter is in great shape. He just sucks and there is nothing Charles can do about that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    I know guys want to joke about sending Hunter there, but the camp is for out of shape OLinemen like Otah.

Hunter is in great shape. He just sucks and there is nothing Charles can do about that.
    Wrong. Hunter has back issues and it's not just a fitness center:

Pro Athletes

Repetition is key

As offensive linemen, career longevity is key to career success. This is a complete contradiction to the harsh world of a collision sport, as offensive lineman repetition is the way proper development takes place.

Many great linemen have waited three to four years before developing into starters. It is often said that offensive linemen are like wine, they get better over time. This doesn't mean that waiting around for "your turn" guarantees success.

Unfortunately, the NFL doesn't offer four-year scholarships with an option to "redshirt." The objective is to get better fast, stay healthy and get paid. From the day you are drafted or added to an NFL roster, the clock on your career begins to tick.

The L. Bentley O-Line Academy is the place where you will have the opportunity to take your game and career to the next level.

Our goal is to develop you into the healthiest, most functionally explosive, and technically sound player on the roster.

Join the O-Line Academy so you can expect greatness.