Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 181 to 189 of 189

Thread: Let's face it: Coples was a luxury pick and we should have taken an OL in the first

  1. #181
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Yes, offense is more important. But it can be done with defense. Remember, the Ravens should have won the AFCC game last yr, and if the Niners don't drop two sure picks and get an unfortunate bounce on a punt they go to the Superbowl. It takes luck too.
    Yes.

    And in both our AFCCG appearances it was our offense that got shut out in back to back halves. Couldn't put up a point in the second half at Indy or the first half at Pittsburgh.

    The object of football is to score more points than your opponent, not to stop your opponent from scoring. It's wonderful to have a defense that can hold an opponent to under 17 points a game so long as your offense can score 18. Oops.

    SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 08-25-2012 at 08:14 AM.

  2. #182
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodFLKeysJetsFan View Post
    The 2000 Ravens did it with defense & Trent Dilfer as their QB & the 2002 Bucs as well, with defense & Brad Johnson as their starting QB.....
    I'd love to see the percentages ... I'd say 3-5% do it on defense alone.

  3. #183
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Yes.

    And in both our AFCCG appearances it was our offense that got shut out in back to back halves. Couldn't put up a point in the second half at Indy or the first half at Pittsburgh.

    The object of football is to score more points than your opponent.

    SAR I
    Right ... Rex would say that the defense needed to score off more turnovers! Lol.

  4. #184
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,717
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    fair enough, but they were building a team to win a championship and the price was depth down the road. If not for some of those moves the Jets would not have made the AFC Championship game two year in a row, but they would be better off now. Its a balance all teams deal with.

    They picked Wilson to replace Cro, but when it was apparent that he wasn't going to be as good as thought, they had to bring Cro back and that cost them money to go out and correct the lack of draft depth. The Ducasse bust is also a factor.

    Building an NFL is a challenge for all the teams in the NFL. The patriots have made far more draft mistakes than the Jets but they have Tom brady so it masks those mistakes.
    I disagree that Wilson was to replace Cro, at least in the short term. We'd lost the AFCCG because Manning picked on our nickel and dime backs all game; Rex wanted to shore up the depth there.

    Longer term, if Wilson turns out to be a stud, then you can lose Cro, promote Wilson, and draft another nickel back. If not, you still have a string set of CB's to field, and are covered in case of injury.

    Agree on Ducasse - if he'd panned out as an option at RT we'd be in such a better place right now.

  5. #185
    moved post to other discussion
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 08-25-2012 at 11:28 AM.

  6. #186
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Yes.

    And in both our AFCCG appearances it was our offense that got shut out in back to back halves. Couldn't put up a point in the second half at Indy or the first half at Pittsburgh.

    The object of football is to score more points than your opponent, not to stop your opponent from scoring. It's wonderful to have a defense that can hold an opponent to under 17 points a game so long as your offense can score 18. Oops.

    SAR I
    I thought it was the defense's fault for putting the Jets in the hole? Which is it?

    07-28-2012, 11:11 PM
    In back-to-back AFCCG's, the Jets defense gave up 41 unanswered points. Second half Indy 24-0, first half Pittsburgh 17-0. Wasn't hard for the D to look good in the second half at Pittsburgh considering the game was such a blowout. Oh, and when the Jets eked back in and made it a little close, Big Ben completed a few passes and that was that.

    SAR I
    You keep going back to the AFCCG's, but use them selectively to bolster whatever argument you have going on at the time.

  7. #187
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SyracuseJet View Post
    I thought it was the defense's fault for putting the Jets in the hole? Which is it?

    You keep going back to the AFCCG's, but use them selectively to bolster whatever argument you have going on at the time.
    I'm not selectively doing anything.

    When we have discussions about Rex Ryan supposedly "fabulous" defense, I point out how we got annihilated in Indianapolis and Pittsburgh.

    When we talk about how offense isn't important because defense wins Championships, I point out that the Jets didn't have enough offense in either of those two games to compete with teams that can put up points.

    Both arguments are valid. No manipulation, just fact. The AFCCG losses were on both sides of the ball. The D which is overrated and the O which is understaffed.

    SAR I

  8. #188
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,824
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I'm not selectively doing anything.

    The AFCCG losses were on both sides of the ball. The D which is overrated and the O which is understaffed.

    SAR I
    Translation: both D & O needs to be upgraded with more good players.

  9. #189
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,518
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    I'm not selectively doing anything.

    When we have discussions about Rex Ryan supposedly "fabulous" defense, I point out how we got annihilated in Indianapolis and Pittsburgh.

    When we talk about how offense isn't important because defense wins Championships, I point out that the Jets didn't have enough offense in either of those two games to compete with teams that can put up points.

    Both arguments are valid. No manipulation, just fact. The AFCCG losses were on both sides of the ball. The D which is overrated and the O which is understaffed.

    SAR I
    Why is it the Pats lost their last two SBs? For that matter why have the other 31 teams lost every year since they had 32 teams? Offense? Denfense? or both? Why were the Giants 9-7?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us