Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Let's face it: Coples was a luxury pick and we should have taken an OL in the first

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardTodd27 View Post
    Lets see: The Jets have no proven every down pass rusher, the worst RT in the league, a below average RB, a head case as a #1 WR, and a turnover machine at QB - and you think Rex is the problem?
    I guess we shouldn't expect anything less from the "Jets blew Lineart" guy.
    It's Year 4 of the Rex Ryan Era.

If those roster issues aren't his fault then whose are they? Rex Ryan had a major hand in all those decisions. What's worse is that he hasn't coached a single player to a high level. He was going to fix Gholston. He gleefully supported Hunter's contract. He made Holmes a captain. He gave up the farm for Sanchez. Not to mention follow-me-to-New-York failures like Bart Scott.

You're supporting a head coaching bust, a guy that won't land another HC job again.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

If those roster issues aren't his fault then whose are they? Rex Ryan had a major hand in all those decisions. What's worse is that he hasn't coached a single player to a high level. He was going to fix Gholston. He gleefully supported Hunter's contract. He made Holmes a captain. He gave up the farm for Sanchez. Not to mention follow-me-to-New-York failures like Bart Scott.

You're supporting a head coaching bust, a guy that won't land another HC job again.

SAR I
    Sione Pouha and Mike Devito say hello

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    If his players revolted on him and went squealing to the media on him and pointed fingers at each other then I would agree with you. Those players loved playing for him and they busted their asses for him and that's not what's going on in New York and that's why Rex Ryan has to go.

Football is many things. It's strategy it's gameplanning it's luck it's skill. But above all else football is about effort. It's a physical sport. The players have to buy-in and they have to bust their asses for their head coach. Tell me that Rex Ryan isn't the greatest offensive mind and I'll be fine with that. But don't tell me he's completely out of touch and that he has his players be lazy. Can't have that. This is football, not chess.

SAR I
    You do realize the Jets play in New York, right? You also realize that New York media outlets are A LOT bigger than Pittsburgh right? How many beat writers does Pittsburgh have? Jets have at least 5, and that's not counting coverage from ESPN.

Here's a wake up call, not every player on a 53 man team is going to "buy in" to a system, or be friendly with every other player. But when you play for a bigger city you are under a microscope, and when you are losing, the media will latch on like leeches and everyone is scrutinized for everything.

Hell, I mean Tom Coughlin lost the Giants locker room back 2004-2005 when he fined Strahan for being too early. Look where he is now. Winning cures all.

Rex still hasn't had a losing season, and you could measure all his positives with your negatives. Let it go man.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Disagreed.

I always thought the Jets should've gone DL or LB with their 1st round pick. What has always ailed this defense is the lack of a pass rush. I knew we needed either a very good pass rushing LB or a DE. Those guys with great pass rushing skills are always gone by number 20 or so.

However, I did think they should have used a 1st day pick on an OL. 2nd or 3rd round, we still could have gotten a decent RT to plug right in.

I love what Tanny did by drafting Coples. I'm just equally upset that he didn't draft a RT.
    I agree with you and perhaps great 1-3 round picks. Again, there were few OLs that were available on the 4th round pick...and you know the rest of the story.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    there were no OT's that were worth picking at 16 this season. sorry to break it to you
    I don't know why I didn't think of that. Oh, wait, I forgot we've been discussing trade-down scenarios ad nauseum. Thanks for sharing your gut reaction to the thread title, though.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    Seriously, I mean how much could we use ratliff, abraham elam and that other wortless LB we gave up.

So rex hasnt "coached up" any players to a "high level" since he has been here? REx's area of expertise is DLine, and both Devito and Pouha have excelled since Rex has been here. Kendirck Ellis was a "project" who so far has shown huge improvement in his second year as has wilkerson. But more then any of that....aaron maybin was on WAIVERS until Rex got him and he wound up with 6 sacks last year.

Your schtick is just so old, you arent "speaking the truth" you are ripping a coach when you actually have no clue.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    I'm going to support SAR in that he's allowed to write whatever he wants and not be chastised for anything that he says that MAY be false, or embellished, or attention getting, not that anything he wrote may or may not be . Hurting other posters feelings is not allowed for certain members of JI.

Since we don't know which posters those are (you can only judge by their reactions and/or behavior towards your posts), let's all try and get along. And by trying to get along, I mean everyone except for those posters that feel entitled to continue their attention seeking rhetoric (they're exempt).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I'm going to support SAR in that he's allowed to write whatever he wants and not be chastised for anything that he says that MAY be false, or embellished, or attention getting, not that anything he wrote may or may not be . Hurting other posters feelings is not allowed for certain members of JI.

Since we don't know which posters those are (you can only judge by their reactions and/or behavior towards your posts), let's all try and get along. And by trying to get along, I mean everyone except for those posters that feel entitled to continue their attention seeking rhetoric (they're exempt).

I'm confused. It's early and I'm a bit hung over.

Can you net it out and just tell me who's gonna get banned so I can get back to the "Free Tebow" threads?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    I'm confused. It's early and I'm a bit hung over.

Can you net it out and just tell me who's gonna get banned so I can get back to the "Free Tebow" threads?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Backwards, again.

Rex Ryan did not inherit a subpar team. The 2008 Jets were 8-3 and the # 1 seed in the AFC before Favre was injured.

SAR I
    And then with a less than adequate Favre were useless.

And then did not have Favre the next season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    And then with a less than adequate Favre were useless.

And then did not have Favre the next season.
    There is no room for facts here. We are in SAR world, a brothel of old, toothless whores who still think they're pretty and can turn a mean trick. At this point I feel sorry for the sad, desperate wretches who still can't say no. Our sorry task is to have to watch them do it.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    There is no room for facts here. We are in SAR world, a brothel of old, toothless whores who still think they're pretty and can turn a mean trick. At this point I feel sorry for the sad, desperate wretches who still can't say no. Our sorry task is to have to watch them do it.
    This is something Obi Wan Kenobi would say.

+1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Backwards, again.

Rex Ryan did not inherit a subpar team. The 2008 Jets were 8-3 and the # 1 seed in the AFC before Favre was injured.

SAR I
    Actually, thanks for proving my point. The team was 8-3 with Favre, and sucked when he was injured. MEANING.....they sucked without Favre.

Hasn't coached up any players? Try the entire team. Like I said, sub-par team that played over their heads.

The man is a great coach....sorry you can't see it because they didn't go to the Super Bowl last year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Actually, thanks for proving my point. The team was 8-3 with Favre, and sucked when he was injured. MEANING.....they sucked without Favre.

Hasn't coached up any players? Try the entire team. Like I said, sub-par team that played over their heads.

The man is a great coach....sorry you can't see it because they didn't go to the Super Bowl last year.
    Rex has coached up the defense no doubt, but who exactly are the offensive players that have been developed by Rex so far? Great coach might be a bit of a reach right now. Good yes, great not yet.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Problem is we wouldn't be getting the same performance from and OL that we are from Coples. Nearly all the rookie OL have struggled.

I think we had Coples rated very high and we went with him. Can't draft for need unless the player is rated very close to your BPA.

We would have been better served either trading for a Tackle or signing one in FA. That is where the mistake was made.
    That right there is the answer folks.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Let's face it: you're an a-hole. I love people like you who think they're above casual debate. With your logic, it's a wonder forums like this even exist.

Thanks for contributing to the conversation.
    I appreciate your kind words. More so I appreciate you exemplifying the presumed authority of the folks on this site.

I am not opposed to casual debate about anything. When someone tells me what my opinion should be, I'm pretty sure we're passed casual debate.

I will not engage in this debate because the premise presented and the gumption used to present it by the OP is so askew I suspect it could make Stephen King blush.

A thread stating, "Let's Face It: We really are just chosing to obey the laws of gravity," might also be appropriate.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    That right there is the answer folks.
    Not guaranteeing Hunters contract would have been a good start. Then we have the freedom to use the $$ for a FA. Or bring Hunter back as a reserve with the option to cut him if he plays poorly.

A trade before the draft for a mediocre starting RT would have been best. It would have given the Jets the freedom to go BPA in the draft (which we did anyway) and still take care of our OL need.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Problem is we wouldn't be getting the same performance from and OL that we are from Coples. Nearly all the rookie OL have struggled.

I think we had Coples rated very high and we went with him. Can't draft for need unless the player is rated very close to your BPA.

We would have been better served either trading for a Tackle or signing one in FA. That is where the mistake was made.
    We shouldve signed Eric Winston in FA. Instead of one of all those high-prized FAs we brought in..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
    I appreciate your kind words. More so I appreciate you exemplifying the presumed authority of the folks on this site.

I am not opposed to casual debate about anything. When someone tells me what my opinion should be, I'm pretty sure we're passed casual debate.

I will not engage in this debate because the premise presented and the gumption used to present it by the OP is so askew I suspect it could make Stephen King blush.

A thread stating, "Let's Face It: We really are just chosing to obey the laws of gravity," might also be appropriate.
    Ok, got it, so every argument on this board should be prefaced with "I may be wrong, but . . ." because that's exactly how actual water cooler discussions are structured. It's called an argument -- if you don't agree it, than try to convince the poster otherwise. Apparently that's beneath someone of your self-perceived intellectual superiority, though.

Here's a better rule: If you're not going to contribute to the substance of a conversation, than just don't say anything. No one cares to hear your opinions about the quality of the debate or reasons for not engaging in the debate are, which, by the way, was over 5 pages long with quality discussion by the time you decided to chime in. It's people like you who are ruining this board.
    Last edited by Bronxville Jets Fan; 08-24-2012 at 11:22 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Ok, got it, so every argument on this board should be preficed with "I may be wrong, but . . ." because that's exactly how actual water cooler discussions are structured. It's called an argument -- if you don't agree it, than try to convince the poster otherwise. Apparently that's beneath someone of your self-perceived intellectual superiority, though.

Here's a better rule: If you're not going to contribute to the substance of a conversation, than just don't say anything. No one cares to hear your opinions about the quality of the debate or reasons for not engaging in the debate are, which, by the way, was over 5 pages long with quality discussion by the time you decided to chime in. It's people like you who are ruining this board.
    Great advice. I hope other posters heed this advice.