Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's face it: Coples was a luxury pick and we should have taken an OL in the first

Veteran

Let's face it: Coples was a luxury pick and we should have taken an OL in the first

I really like our rookie draft class, but it's pretty absurd that an O-linemen wasn't taken until the sixth round given the team's overly apparent dearth of talent at that position group. Our current predicament with Hunter and lack of capable backups for the interior OL was completely foreseeable back in April and, as I'm sitting here anxiously waiting to hear news about some potential season-saving scrap-heap pickup, it completely blows my mind to think that more wasn't done to address this problem through the past draft. This has been vented on this board plenty already, I know. But to me, it all comes down to the Coples pick. EVERY other pick was used for a position of need (WR, LB, S, OG, RB, S, WR) so why neglect the most glaring hole on the roster? And how much worse off would our defense be without Coples this season? I venture to say not much; our offense, on the other hand, could have much better production with an early round draft pick replacement for Hunter.

So, sorry, but I can't help but think we'd all be in better moods right now if Tanny found a way to spin the 16th pick into Riley Reiff or Cordy Glenn. I usually love upside in prospects like Coples, but upside may cost us this season.

All Pro
    BPA

Best Player Available.

I don't care who it is. You take the best player. Never draft for need unless BPA also happens to be the area of need. This is how the Giants built their dominant pass rush. Kept drafting DEs even though they had the bases covered because those players just so happened to be the BPA.

Hall Of Fame
    Problem is we wouldn't be getting the same performance from and OL that we are from Coples. Nearly all the rookie OL have struggled.

I think we had Coples rated very high and we went with him. Can't draft for need unless the player is rated very close to your BPA.

We would have been better served either trading for a Tackle or signing one in FA. That is where the mistake was made.

It wasn't a luxury pick, it was a steal given that he was billed the #1 defensive prospect going into the college football season last year by some reports.

It addresses one of the Jets' biggest issues from last year, a stud DE/OLB who can rush the passer and dominate the DL.

Reiff and Glenn were not top 16 players, and you don't reach for either player, especially when the team has so much money already invested in the OL and at the other OT position.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Problem is we wouldn't be getting the same performance from and OL that we are from Coples. Nearly all the rookie OL have struggled.

I think we had Coples rated very high and we went with him. Can't draft for need unless the player is rated very close to your BPA.

We would have been better served either trading for a Tackle or signing one in FA. That is where the mistake was made.
    Fair post.

Seriously guys, we can't have a 1st round draft pick at every position on the line. At some point these guys need to do their job. Hunter obviously fails miserably. But it comes down to coaching and getting solid contributors. If the Jets are lacking this then whoever is scouting and gathering the talent needs a kick in the ass.

We already have 2 1st rounders and 20 million/per year tied up in 2 of those positions. Both are Pro Bowl players, one is All Pro on a HOF track. If the Jets can't anchor behind that then someone needs to be fired because that's just horrible coaching.

All League
    If we had a Rookie RT and not Coples, people would be upset about not upgrading the pass rush

Hall Of Fame
    We know Hunter sucks. Brick is the one we need to pay attention to. He has another down year and all of a sudden we have major holes on the OL with both Moore and Slauson entering FA.

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    If we had a Rookie RT and not Coples, people would be upset about upgrading the pass rush.
    +1

Sadly, people don't get that the NFL doesn't allow buying a team and having top notch talent at every position. This isn't the Yankees.

Even New England has glaring weaknesses.

Every team in the NFL has strengths and weaknesses and it's how you match up vs the other teams strengths and weaknesses. This is why coaching is so important. It's all about covering up your weaknesses through schemes and executing your strengths. At the end of the day, the Jets got complacent and it showed on the field. They quit on each other. I doubt you're going to see that this season. Let's just wait a few weeks into the regular season before we doom the offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Southside, the OL is a terrible place to have a weakness. Especially if you are supposed to be a "ground and pound" team. And made even worse by the fact that it sucked the year previous and to this point we have stood pat.

All League
    If we had a Rookie RT and not Coples, people would be upset about not upgrading the pass rush
    Bingo!!

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Southside, the OL is a terrible place to have a weakness. Especially if you are supposed to be a "ground and pound" team. And made even worse by the fact that it sucked the year previous and to this point we have stood pat.
    I'm not trying to say that we shouldn't have upgraded from Wayne Hunter. But I would have been heavily opposed to drafting another o-lineman in the 1st round. The Jets needed pass rush from the front uglies and a big play WR with speed. They got both of those things and they both happened to be BPA. I'm responding to the OP about drafting a 1st round OLineman again.

That said, I agree that the Jets got it wrong with Hunter and they most definitely need to find a guy that can do an adequate job... Wayne can't even do that. I wouldn't call our OLine a weakness. I would call Wayne Hunter a weakness. I think we should adequately find a replacement in the next wave of cuts. Remember the Seahawks started an entire rookie OLine against us and we didn't even get a sack. It's not a difficult job to do "ok" at. We don't need someone to dominate the line. We need someone to go in there and do his job, that's it.

As others have said, Best Player Available. Coples has looked the part so we shouldn't be questioning this pick as of now.

We should have addressed our OL problems via FA. Instead we got Tebowed.

Veteran
    A few months ago Pettine said the Jets have "the best OL in the league."

That video interview was posted here on JI and on the Jets site.

His words pretty much explain where their heads were.

In their minds, losing Schotty and Callahan was probably enough to tweak the OL back to top form.

As far as a pass rush goes, we've been harping on this for years now.

If we only had a pass rush we could shorten the duration of plays, force mistakes, get off the field, and finish games.

Every week we saw the damage a pass rush does to our offense.

It's time for payback.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

I think Coples will be a good player. That said, an argument could easily be made that Decastro was BPA where we picked. And we used the previous year's 1st on a defensive linemen.

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Seriously guys, we can't have a 1st round draft pick at every position on the line.
    First round picks are guys that can come in and start immediately. We needed a first round RT this season because the Jets haven't been developing many OL over the last few years. Most teams take the big uglies in the 3 4 5 6 rounds and bring them along in a year or two. That's how Slauson (a 6th rounder) became our starter. But the Jets have generally been trading away those picks under Tannenbaum. Combine that with the swing and a miss on Ducasse and you have the need to, yet again, draft an OL with our first pick.

Reiff would not have been a reach at 16. He was graded mid to late 1st round and eventually went just 7 picks later at 23. Selecting Reiff could have solidified our entire offense (running game, protection for Sanchez, freeing TE for pass plays, etc).

All Pro
    SHHHHHHHH....
    Just....
    Shhhhhh.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I think Coples will be a good player. That said, an argument could easily be made that Decastro was BPA where we picked. And we used the previous year's 1st on a defensive linemen.
    No one wants to say it?? FINE - I will, once again, bring da truth..

All you O-line over Coples jackals... your boy DeCastro has been flat out average. At best. Horrible pick!! Shoulda taken double DD!! DeCastro is my father!!... feel like popping my collar.

So put away your horns. Coples was the BPA and a freak. Kearse without Kearse's knees.

+1