Thread: 2012 1st Rounders - Hot or Not

Veteran

2012 1st Rounders - Hot or Not

It's a bit premature but with more shoulda-coulda talk going on this week I'm curious. Who are some of the rookies [1st rounders] that seem to be working out or not? How are Melvin Ingram and his T-Rex arms doing? How about presumptive Jet Mark Barron? How big is the gap from Andrew Luck to RGIII?

Just to get it out of the way, I'll put Coples firmly in the first camp No sacks yet, but hugely active and showing strength, stamina and football smarts. Every guy has his alleged weakness and Coples' was supposed to be laziness and taking some plays off. By that measure, I haven't seen anything yet to indicate that that's followed him into the NFL.
    Last edited by adpz; 08-23-2012 at 12:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    Just to get it out of the way, I'll put Coples firmly in the first camp No sacks yet,
    Huh?

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...seasonType=PRE

He's got 2, and is tied for 6th in the league

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    It's a bit premature but with more shoulda-coulda talk going on this week I'm curious. Who are some of the rookies [1st rounders] that seem to be working out or not? How are Melvin Ingram and his T-Rex arms doing? How about presumptive Jet Mark Barron? How big is the gap from Andrew Luck to RGIII?

Just to get it out of the way, I'll put Coples firmly in the first camp No sacks yet, but hugely active and showing strength, stamina and football smarts. Every guy has his alleged weakness and Coples' was supposed to be laziness and taking some plays off. By that measure, I haven't seen anything yet to indicate that that's followed him into the NFL.
    Some great questions I'm wondering myself, I always enjoy seeing how the rooks do and compare to pre-draft chat.

But Dude, seriously, it's the middle of preseason. We can hardly answer questions about our own playes. If someone out there is watching all the preseason games in order to watch Thr rookie play for a quarter or two, God bless 'em.

Yeah, it's early to know who will be good, but you can see some guys who have been standing out (and sucking) already.

Jags WR Justin Blackmon came in and scored on his first NFL drive. He didn't look like a rookie.

I think Ingram and Pats DE Chandler Jones should be very disruptive this year. You can tell easier with the OLB/DE rookies -- you can see that burst off the edge vs. first team offensive tackles as Jones and Ingram have shown. Kind of like Aldon Smith and Von Miller did last preseason.

Barron played a little in week 2 and had a tackle and a PD. He's been out with a foot injury.

Another guy who was linked to the Jets was Steelers G Dave DeCastro. Down the road, he should be good. right now he is struggling. but I am no OL guru.

He was a second rounder, but the Jets took WR Stephen Hill 2 selections ahead of ... Bears WR Alshon Jeffery. That guy could be a player this season, especially with Cutler throwing and Marshall drawing DB attention.

As for Luck and RG3 ... they look good for rookie QBs, but they have not seen a defense that has gameplanned for them yet. Regular season brings different looks/blitzes/coverages, so we'll see.

So far a lot of the rookie QBs, DEs, WRs and LBs have shown some flashes. Some of the OLs and RBs don't look bad either. But not so impressed with the DBs of the first round rookie class so far.