Thread: Quentin Coples.......

Quentin Coples.......

I haven't been on much as of late cause I think our team (offense) will suck bad this year and we will finish 7-9. I do have something to be excited about. Coples is a beast. This is how I feel about him so far.

He was outstanding the year before this past year and he was rated as the top defensive player in the draft. During the year, UNC had some team issues and Coples admitted to not giving his all on the field because of it. His play was still solid but did not live up to that best defensive player status.

During the draft process, he was outstanding and dominated the Senior Bowl practices. He was dam right unblockable and looked 2 steps ahead of everyone on the field. His combine showed what everyone expected. A physical specimen in the likes of Julius Peppers.

During training camp. I saw a player that is above anyone that's been on our line in a long time. He has that much talent and recently the last 2 games, he recorded some impressive numbers. Keep in mind a 3-4 DE is not suppose make a huge impact on defense. They are basically space eaters but Coples is reminding me of another player who made a huge impact on a 3-4 defense. Bruce Smith.

Im glad how he fell to us. If there werent those questions about his motor, heart, and senior production, he would not have fallen to 16. He is a absolute steal.

Veteran
    I just started a thread on 2012 1st rounders.

I really can't bear to watch non-Jets preseason so I don't follow much what's going on with the other early picks. But I agree wholeheartedly, Coples feel to us for reasons that don't seem to be any issue going forward. He could be a steal and also a long-term building block.

I noticed that Giants were outright double teaming him or were chipping him off from one blocker to another. Most of the plays were Coples was stymied were instances where those types of things happened.

He was successfully blocked one on one a few times. I noticed that some of Coples' blockers were using a two hand push as soon as the ball was snapped which pushed Coples back a bit. He'll have to adjust to that as he learns the game.

Coples value just doesn't have to be getting to the QB. If he gets double teamed, chip blocked, or any other kind of extra attention, then the other linemen are going to get to QB's more often.

A prime example would be the blitzers running through spaces Coples created in the Giants game.

All League
    What a concept. Double teaming a pass rusher and giving your weak link some help

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... good topic, agreed ...

... how bout something else to be excited about ...

leron landry

l_j_r

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    What a concept. Double teaming a pass rusher and giving your weak link some help
    Just shows Giants game planned for him, and we didn't. Giants also game planned Cruz by making sure he wasn't lined up on Revis except for that one deep bomb.

Jets have really shown absolutely nothing on defense or offense so far in pre-season.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... good topic, agreed ...

... how bout something else to be excited about ...

leron landry

l_j_r

Victor Cruz is still hearing his footsteps.

He's looking real Beastly early on

Veteran
    Most impressive thing about him is how he gets off blocks so quickly in traffic and after the ball carrier. I think I saw him get tangled in just a couple of times. That in itself shows me he is going to be some kind of player.

You know what the biggest plus is with Coples? He collapses the pocket UP THE MIDDLE. That's Brady's kryptonite.

I am waiting to see what this guys motor is like in the 4th Quarter when the Jets need a defensive stop in order to preserve a win.

Jets Insider VIP
    Excellent thread!!!

Coples if healthy, cabe simething special.

Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    I am waiting to see what this guys motor is like in the 4th Quarter when the Jets need a defensive stop in order to preserve a win.
    I did notice Coples losing his motor as he got tired in the latter stages of both preseason games. That is why I think Rex Ryan is keeping him out there for extended periods of time so he can get his wind.

Hopefully, he'll be ready by Sept 9th.

EDIT: By ready I mean with a full motor the entire game. Not ready as in capable. We all know he's capable.