Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: Darrelle Revis says Jets' defense was out of shape in 2011

  1. #41
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,472
    I am sure they felt they were in good condition to start the year.

    Just not good enough condition for how much they would have to play based on the offense's ineptitude.

    Revis is just saying what we all know. That he doesn't expect the offense to help out the defense again this year, so the defense has to be in better shape to compensate for the offense's continued suckage.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    I'm not one for excuses, but I still believe the lockout/new practice rules hurt us last season. Not blaming the whole season on it, but it was definitely a factor
    But no more than any other team, and certainly a lot less than the 9 coaches who were new last year.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    But no more than any other team, and certainly a lot less than the 9 coaches who were new last year.
    It did hurt everybody... That's why you saw most upper echelon QB's have career years yards wise...

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by yayankee View Post
    Jenny's the best:

    The evidence piled up on film and by season’s end Darrelle Revis noticed a defense far removed from the ones that reached back-to-back AFC Championship Games.

    Tight games in the fourth quarter seemed tighter. A winded defense wasn’t in good enough shape to handle the two-minute offense. As a corollary, the mental side of the game faltered.

    He wasn’t surprised when he spoke to coach Rex Ryan shortly after a season-ending loss to the Dolphins and conditioning was one of the three issues Ryan brought up as a priority for this season — alongside focus and discipline.

    “It came up in the offseason really, right after the season was over. It was basically what, as a team, could we do better,” Revis said. “One of them was conditioning, one of them was focus, and the other one was discipline. And you know, this was a conversation that I think Rex wanted to evaluate himself and see what we could do better as a team.”

    Ryan thought shoring up these areas was the quickest way to see the defense he’d envisioned.

    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ets_lacke.html
    This is definitely a step in the right direction. Rex Ryan has always been a much better playoff HC than he is a regular season HC. During the regular season, the Jets went through periods of being penalty prone. They had bouts with poor tackling. They had players missing multiple assignments in the same game. Rex Ryan didn't do anything about it.

    That's been my largest criticism of Rex since he's been here. To know, and to hear it from one of the best players on the team, is proof positive that he's confronted the issue and has every intention of fixing it.

    If Rex succeeds in doing so, there's no reason to think this defense won't be number one again.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by yayankee View Post
    Jenny's the best:

    The evidence piled up on film and by season’s end Darrelle Revis noticed a defense far removed from the ones that reached back-to-back AFC Championship Games.

    Tight games in the fourth quarter seemed tighter. A winded defense wasn’t in good enough shape to handle the two-minute offense. As a corollary, the mental side of the game faltered.

    He wasn’t surprised when he spoke to coach Rex Ryan shortly after a season-ending loss to the Dolphins and conditioning was one of the three issues Ryan brought up as a priority for this season — alongside focus and discipline.

    “It came up in the offseason really, right after the season was over. It was basically what, as a team, could we do better,” Revis said. “One of them was conditioning, one of them was focus, and the other one was discipline. And you know, this was a conversation that I think Rex wanted to evaluate himself and see what we could do better as a team.”

    Ryan thought shoring up these areas was the quickest way to see the defense he’d envisioned.

    http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ets_lacke.html
    Jets are probably the weakest physically prepared team in the league now.
    They are out of breath in third quarter
    I wonder what Revis was thinking watching the game on T.V.

    A coaching staff and front office that do not have the knowledge to get a football team in the best physical shape is a major problem

  6. #46
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,093
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Then where was he in the pre-season and the early games when he wasnt paying attention to the O and the lockeroom and a myriad of other things, apparently?

    S'all I'm saying (and I do acknowledge the effect the O had on their stamina)

    Just sounds so friggin lame, especially with all this **** talkin.

    -
    Stop picking at scabs; the team sagged as the offense faltered. What was missing were locker room leaders like Richardson; the margin to make the playoffs was in the Jets favor until those last 3 games. W/o the leaders there, the team lost it's spirit and focus.

  7. #47
    Bewildered Beast
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    SF via Strong Island
    Posts
    31,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    I am sure they felt they were in good condition to start the year.

    Just not good enough condition for how much they would have to play based on the offense's ineptitude.

    Revis is just saying what we all know. That he doesn't expect the offense to help out the defense again this year, so the defense has to be in better shape to compensate for the offense's continued suckage.
    Beautiful. Exactamundo.

  8. #48
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,219
    last year was last year

    let's move on to Miami where the division leading 1-1 NY Jets take on the LOLphins on Sunday before a massive throng of 35000 empty orange seats

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us