Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Darrelle Revis says Jets' defense was out of shape in 2011

Darrelle Revis says Jets' defense was out of shape in 2011

Jenny's the best:

The evidence piled up on film and by season’s end Darrelle Revis noticed a defense far removed from the ones that reached back-to-back AFC Championship Games.

Tight games in the fourth quarter seemed tighter. A winded defense wasn’t in good enough shape to handle the two-minute offense. As a corollary, the mental side of the game faltered.

He wasn’t surprised when he spoke to coach Rex Ryan shortly after a season-ending loss to the Dolphins and conditioning was one of the three issues Ryan brought up as a priority for this season — alongside focus and discipline.

“It came up in the offseason really, right after the season was over. It was basically what, as a team, could we do better,” Revis said. “One of them was conditioning, one of them was focus, and the other one was discipline. And you know, this was a conversation that I think Rex wanted to evaluate himself and see what we could do better as a team.”

Ryan thought shoring up these areas was the quickest way to see the defense he’d envisioned.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ets_lacke.html

All Pro
    I can agree with this. It would explain all of the missed tackles and why our run defense took a step back. Also the offense's constant 3 and outs didn't help the situation either....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Ok, so...without being a negative SOJF, which I admittedly am...I understand that Rex didnt pay attention to the lockeroom....and I understand he didnt pay attention to the offense...heck he even admitted he didnt know which Offensive players were sitting out or on the field....so now we are being told that Rex didnt pay attention to the Defense enough to realize they were unconditioned, mentally checked out and thus routinely steam-rolled in the Fourth Quarter?

Is that what we are being told now?

-

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Ok, so...without being a negative SOJF, which I admittedly am...I understand that Rex didnt pay attention to the lockeroom....and I understand he didnt pay attention to the offense...heck he even admitted he didnt know which Offensive players were sitting out or on the field....so now we are being told that Rex didnt pay attention to the Defense enough to realize they were unconditioned, mentally checked out and thus routinely steam-rolled in the Fourth Quarter?

-
    Watching film, I'm sure he noticed... The bad part about it, once you're into the season like that, there's not much work you can do to bring your conditioning up, especially for the last 3 games...

Out of shape, constantly on the field thanks to the offense, and STILL a top 5 D? I ain't even mad.

All League
    Does someone have the TOP stats? I'd put some of this blame on the offense.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    not much work you can do to bring your conditioning up, especially for the last 3 games...
    Then where was he in the pre-season and the early games when he wasnt paying attention to the O and the lockeroom and a myriad of other things, apparently?

S'all I'm saying (and I do acknowledge the effect the O had on their stamina)

Just sounds so friggin lame, especially with all this **** talkin.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

-
    Thanks to the new CBA tough training camps are a thing of the past it's on the players to do extra work on their own to get in top shape.. Yeah that will work..

the jets are just a team of excuses, excuses , amd excuses. 43 yrs and still waiting

All League
    Then where was he in the pre-season and the early games when he wasnt paying attention to the O and the lockeroom and a myriad of other things, apparently?

-
    The team overachieved the first 2 years of Rex's tenure by getting hot in the playoffs and going to back to back AFC Championship games. The players (and coaches) probably felt that they were destined to make it back and trained less hard during the offseason.

Unfortunately, it's human nature. It isn't the first time it has happened to a pro team and it certainly won't be the last. I think the best thing to happen to this team was to not make the playoffs last year. It certainly served as a wake up call to players and coaches alike.

Veteran
    awesome. This regime really has its ish together. This gives me great confidence for this season

Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    the jets are just a team of excuses, excuses , amd excuses. 43 yrs and still waiting
    Go watch the Patriots or Steelers fan. Do us all a favor and do it.

All Pro
    After the strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi gets fired for tripping a NE player on the sidelines, the number of overall team injuries jumps and the defense seems "out of shape" within a year.

Coincidence?

-
    I'd grown tired of the windbaggery myself, which is saying a lot because I'm married to Marge...

I think the conditioning can partly be contributed to the lockout... So I give a pass there and at the point of recognition was too late to fix... To Savage's point, a lot of these players are now expected to keep themselves in peak physical condition... That is simply loltastic...

To your point, I think he's partially addressed certain aspects of his coaching that require his immediate attention... But it would be counterintuitive for us, the fans, to sit here and discuss even a remote possibility that our HC won't always trend toward the defensive side of the ball... The only realistic hope is that it's not as steep as it was in his first three seasons, which it doesn't necessarily appear to be... Only the season will tell...

wow.
    This really looks bad for Rex Ryan ability to manage the fundamentals of a team.

If we had a strong front office I don't think condition programs should change from coach to coach.

This is really really bad.
    Embarrassing for Rex, front office and there commonsense.
    Just Unreal!

How the Jets coach/front office works.

Problem: Defense gets tired at the end of games.

Reason for problem: Defense has been on the field all day because offense turns the ball over and can't sustain drives in the 4th quarter.

Solution: Get the defense into better shape so they can indeed play 40 minutes a game.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Does someone have the TOP stats? I'd put some of this blame on the offense.
    i thought the same thing (blamed the offense for some defensive woes). and i read this a lot on this site that the jets Defense was pretty good, but was on the field so often because of the offense and the 3 and outs. so i was very suprised to see these stats. which show this is completely untrue. the offense TOP 9th best in the league (the O was actually on the field more than their D).

I also checked the offense 3rd down %, figuring maybe they had a lot more 3 and outs than others. they were below average, but not bottom 5 in the league.

i got them from here.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat...sion-net-of-ot

Rank Team T.O.P.
    1 Pittsburgh 27:31
    2 Houston 27:42
    3 New Orleans 27:59
    4 San Diego 28:12
    5 Atlanta 28:14
    6 San Francisco 28:28
    7 Philadelphia 28:39
    8 Dallas 28:52
    9 NY Jets 29:11
    10 Baltimore 29:12
    11 Green Bay 29:31
    12 Miami 29:37
    13 Cincinnati 29:41
    14 Chicago 29:43
    15 Carolina 29:44
    16 Buffalo 29:49
    17 Washington 29:54
    18 Jacksonville 29:58
    19 NY Giants 30:01
    20 Oakland 30:13
    21 Detroit 30:24
    22 Cleveland 30:53
    23 Denver 30:55
    24 Kansas City 30:55
    25 Tampa Bay 30:58
    26 Minnesota 31:17
    27 New England 31:27
    28 Seattle 31:41
    29 St Louis 31:56
    30 Arizona 32:05
    31 Tennessee 32:05
    32 Indianapolis 33:46
    Rank Team 3rd down %
    1 New Orleans 55.79%
    2 San Diego 48.82%
    3 Green Bay 48.50%
    4 New England 45.97%
    5 Pittsburgh 45.75%
    6 Atlanta 43.46%
    7 Baltimore 41.98%
    8 Philadelphia 41.67%
    9 Houston 41.43%
    10 Carolina 40.32%
    11 Dallas 39.39%
    12 NY Giants 38.76%
    13 Cleveland 38.66%
    14 Minnesota 38.43%
    15 Detroit 37.39%
    16 Cincinnati 37.07%
    17 Tampa Bay 36.89%
    18 Washington 36.82%
    19 Tennessee 36.70%
    20 Kansas City 36.00%
    21 Oakland 35.68%
    22 NY Jets 34.74%
    23 Indianapolis 34.58%
    24 Seattle 33.77%
    25 Jacksonville 33.61%
    26 Miami 33.33%
    27 Chicago 32.51%
    28 Buffalo 32.46%
    29 Arizona 32.20%
    30 Denver 31.41%
    31 San Francisco 28.11%
    32 St Louis 28.07%

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    How the Jets coach/front office works.

Problem: Defense gets tired at the end of games.

Reason for problem: Defense has been on the field all day because offense turns the ball over and can't sustain drives in the 4th quarter.

Solution: Get the defense into better shape so they can indeed play 40 minutes a game.
    I totally agree. First time ever.

It's no wonder our locker room is divided when Rex expects the D to be in shape to play 40 minutes per game weekly yet doesn't hold the offense accountable for sh*t.

Quote Originally Posted by KingofNY View Post
    I totally agree. First time ever.

It's no wonder our locker room is divided when Rex expects the D to be in shape to play 40 minutes per game weekly yet doesn't hold the offense accountable for sh*t.
    See you can be right once in while.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by loluchka80 View Post
    i thought the same thing (blamed the offense for some defensive woes). and i read this a lot on this site that the jets Defense was pretty good, but was on the field so often because of the offense and the 3 and outs. so i was very suprised to see these stats. which show this is completely untrue. the offense TOP 9th best in the league (the O was actually on the field more than their D).

I also checked the offense 3rd down %, figuring maybe they had a lot more 3 and outs than others. they were below average, but not bottom 5 in the league.
    Other than SF and maybe CHI, how many top defenses were in the bottom 30% in 3rd down conversions and 3 and outs? You can't say us having a poor offense didn't hurt our D because it did.