Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: Darrelle Revis says Jets' defense was out of shape in 2011

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Ok, so...without being a negative SOJF, which I admittedly am...I understand that Rex didnt pay attention to the lockeroom....and I understand he didnt pay attention to the offense...heck he even admitted he didnt know which Offensive players were sitting out or on the field....so now we are being told that Rex didnt pay attention to the Defense enough to realize they were unconditioned, mentally checked out and thus routinely steam-rolled in the Fourth Quarter?

    Is that what we are being told now?

















    -
    I think the difference between in shape and out of shape for NFL players is like the difference between running a 5 minute mile, and running a 4:30 mile..

    They are still in great shape, just not peak condition.

  2. #22
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    3,497
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofNY View Post
    Other than SF and maybe CHI, how many top defenses were in the bottom 30% in 3rd down conversions and 3 and outs? You can't say us having a poor offense didn't hurt our D because it did.
    what i'm saying is i was under the impression that the jets defense was on the field a lot more than other teams because the jets offense was so bad, and then when i looked up the T.O.P. stats it was completely untrue.

    there are also other factors like average field position, and things like that. but when people say, "the jets defense got tired because they were on the field for 40+ minutes" it is just completely untrue. (this is something i had also thought prior to looking this up).

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,960
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Go watch the Patriots or Steelers fan. Do us all a favor and do it.
    Giantdan is a Giant fan. He's just another troll. Don't let him get to you. I did predict we would miss Sal Alosi. We should have taken our lumps and stuck by this guy who made a spur of the moment bad decision.

  4. #24
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    7,960
    Some things you really can't see when you're in the middle of it, and you have only time to prepare for the next game. Why can't anyone around here take things at face value? They had problems that didn't look so bad at 8-5. They're realizing those problems and they're attempting to address them. Not everyone can, or will do that. You guys are some of the most depressing people on the planet. I believe this defense will be special this year, and give the new offense time to come together. Then with the easy second half schedule they'll build confidence, and who knows what can happen. None of you, that's who. I know you guys are too afraid to get your hopes up, or believe any good news. You don't want to risk getting your feelings hurt if it doesn't happen. You'd rather give up now. Wallowing in your own crapulence. What does that get you? Sad really sad.

  5. #25
    Just an outside perspective, but you can you also point to depth. How often are the backups rotated in, what percentage of snaps does each starter take. (granted this changes because of alignment vs certain teams, nickle, dime, 4-3, 3-4 etc.) This is more true on the lines. Since the secondary is not running into offensive linemans every play, they play the most snaps. How was the dline and LB rotation for the Jets last year? Were guys taking too many snaps, and after mid season, was it wearing them down.

    That is where I would look, I am sure the Jets players are all in shape.

  6. #26
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Oswego County, Upstate NY, USA with my wife and family.
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Some things you really can't see when you're in the middle of it, and you have only time to prepare for the next game. Why can't anyone around here take things at face value? They had problems that didn't look so bad at 8-5. They're realizing those problems and they're attempting to address them. Not everyone can, or will do that. You guys are some of the most depressing people on the planet. I believe this defense will be special this year, and give the new offense time to come together. Then with the easy second half schedule they'll build confidence, and who knows what can happen. None of you, that's who. I know you guys are too afraid to get your hopes up, or believe any good news. You don't want to risk getting your feelings hurt if it doesn't happen. You'd rather give up now. Wallowing in your own crapulence. What does that get you? Sad really sad.
    Damn. You're right.

    I'm almost always an optimistic person, but watching 30+ years of SOJ moments has made me afriad to believe and get devastated (usually around Christmas) again. You're right... if the O can just get their act together and put some points on the board, this D has the makings of an absolute beast and we could be on the cusp an outstanding season. We're in a better position than half of the teams that are mocking us as a circus. I hope the team realizes that and goes out there angry and stomps mudholes into all of our opponents. One thing to consider... if teams really do have bulletin boards for negative comments by opponents meant to inspire vengence, ours is ten times more full than any other NFL team's right now.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Some things you really can't see when you're in the middle of it, and you have only time to prepare for the next game. Why can't anyone around here take things at face value? They had problems that didn't look so bad at 8-5. They're realizing those problems and they're attempting to address them. Not everyone can, or will do that. You guys are some of the most depressing people on the planet. I believe this defense will be special this year, and give the new offense time to come together. Then with the easy second half schedule they'll build confidence, and who knows what can happen. None of you, that's who. I know you guys are too afraid to get your hopes up, or believe any good news. You don't want to risk getting your feelings hurt if it doesn't happen. You'd rather give up now. Wallowing in your own crapulence. What does that get you? Sad really sad.
    The part in bold is their job. It is their job not to delude themselves. The good coaches and front office are proactive and see things for what they are. The jets were very lucky to be 8-5 at that point in the season last year and the problems were sticking out. Just like the problems stood out the year before regarding the safety position. It seems to take our front office a full year longer to try and address certain needs than it should and it costs them badly.

    We knew a full year before hand that safeties sucked, they went a full year and some pain with Smith and leonard and only this year decided to fix the problem.

    It was as clear as day that hunter couldn't hack it last year. they wait a full year and do nothing and only now we are in panic mode because of it.

    The team had no edge rusher for a few years but they tried to coach up gholston and rex thought he didn't need one. A full year later they get lucky with Maybin and now address it by drafting coples.

    They never prioritized WR in the draft at all, instead loading up with older guys and malcontents other teams did not want. Result? The franchise Qb has no WR that he can over a few years build a rapport with.

    Our front office does indeed try and fix mistakes and address issues. Unfortunately it is usually at least a year or two later than it should be because they delude themselves.

  8. #28
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    7,291
    Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    After the strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi gets fired for tripping a NE player on the sidelines, the number of overall team injuries jumps and the defense seems "out of shape" within a year.

    Coincidence?
    +1

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    greenwich village, NYC
    Posts
    8,169
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    the jets are just a team of excuses, excuses , amd excuses. 43 yrs and still waiting
    Your posts are so appreciated. Well thought out, unbiased, and always constructive. The Giants need more fans like you.

  10. #30
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Ok, so...without being a negative SOJF, which I admittedly am...I understand that Rex didnt pay attention to the lockeroom....and I understand he didnt pay attention to the offense...heck he even admitted he didnt know which Offensive players were sitting out or on the field....so now we are being told that Rex didnt pay attention to the Defense enough to realize they were unconditioned, mentally checked out and thus routinely steam-rolled in the Fourth Quarter?

    Is that what we are being told now?


    Yup.

    SAR I

  11. #31
    Before the awesome posters wage their war against the coaching staff and the general manager for having the team show up out of shape, this is Revis saying something as an excuse for the team playing the way it did last season, specifically the defense (which didn't play poorly - not by a long shot). Revis gave another area where the team focused on this off season.

    This is a non-story that the anti-Rex/Tanny acolytes will blow up to anti-Jet biblical proportions.

    Who cares about this? The defense is was good, is good, and WILL BE good. Why don't reporters write about the right tackle situation and possible replacements instead of every single statement that they can twist into a "look at me" story.

  12. #32
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Before the awesome posters wage their war against the coaching staff and the general manager for having the team show up out of shape, this is Revis saying something as an excuse for the team playing the way it did last season, specifically the defense (which didn't play poorly - not by a long shot). Revis gave another area where the team focused on this off season.

    This is a non-story that the anti-Rex/Tanny acolytes will blow up to anti-Jet biblical proportions.

    Who cares about this? The defense is was good, is good, and WILL BE good. Why don't reporters write about the right tackle situation and possible replacements instead of every single statement that they can twist into a "look at me" story.
    You have it all backwards. A team that can show up to play a physical sport completely out of shape, show no passion, show no sense of urgency, and disrespects its head coach will never ever win anything.

    Our problem isn't a right tackle. It's Rex Ryan. He was the right guy in 2008 but he's the wrong guy in 2012. Different team, different needs.

    SAR I

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    You have it all backwards. A team that can show up to play a physical sport completely out of shape, show no passion, show no sense of urgency, and disrespects its head coach will never ever win anything.

    Our problem isn't a right tackle. It's Rex Ryan. He was the right guy in 2008 but he's the wrong guy in 2012. Different team, different needs.

    SAR I
    I see. Let's fire Rex then since he's wrong for the team.

    Who's right for the team, SAR?

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFreak89 View Post
    The team overachieved the first 2 years of Rex's tenure by getting hot in the playoffs and going to back to back AFC Championship games. The players (and coaches) probably felt that they were destined to make it back and trained less hard during the offseason.

    Unfortunately, it's human nature. It isn't the first time it has happened to a pro team and it certainly won't be the last. I think the best thing to happen to this team was to not make the playoffs last year. It certainly served as a wake up call to players and coaches alike.
    Please, losing back to back conference games, made them full of themselves? I am surprised that BB and Coughlin even had training camps this year.

    Losing two games is not something that would cause a player or coach to rest on their laurels especially since when no laurels were achieved.

  15. #35
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,698
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Please, losing back to back conference games, made them full of themselves? I am surprised that BB and Coughlin even had training camps this year.

    Losing two games is not something that would cause a player or coach to rest on their laurels especially since when no laurels were achieved.
    Sad, but true...the back to back championship games were nice, but not frigging crowning achievements...

  16. #36
    Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I see. Let's fire Rex then since he's wrong for the team.

    Who's right for the team, SAR?
    That's easy. His name?

    Not Rex Ryan.

    Again, it's not the fans job to know who is a great head coach, who is out there, and who might be terrific in New York. I never heard the name Darrell Revis before he was drafted by experts who understand these things. But I did know that we had a lousy cornerback situation before he was drafted and that's my job as a fan and that's the point.

    SAR I

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Please, losing back to back conference games, made them full of themselves? I am surprised that BB and Coughlin even had training camps this year.

    Losing two games is not something that would cause a player or coach to rest on their laurels especially since when no laurels were achieved.
    Here is a list of teams that LOST the SB and struggled the following year....

    Super Bowl losing teams who went on to poor follow-up performance include
    Atlanta Falcons. (Super Bowl XXXIII). 1998 season: 14-2; 1999 season: 5-11
    New York Giants. (Super Bowl XXXV). 2000 season: 12-4; 2001 season: 7-9.
    St. Louis Rams. (Super Bowl XXXVI). 2001 season: 14-2; 2002 season: 7-9.
    Oakland Raiders. (XXXVII). 2002 season: 11-5; 2003 season: 4-12
    Carolina Panthers. ( XXXVIII) 2003 season: 11-5; 2004 season: 7-9.
    Philadelphia Eagles. ( XXXIX) 2004 season: 13-3; 2005 season: 6-10.
    Chicago Bears. (Super Bowl XLI) 2006 season: 13-3; 2007 season: 7-9.[4]

    So yes, sometimes after teams achieve some success they struggle the following year. You can also include the steelers who WON a SB and had their young QB struggle the following year and only go 8-8.....guess they should have dumped that guy.

  18. #38
    I believe Revis--but if this is the case, ultimately, who is responsible for that? It has to be the head coach, no doubt about it.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Here is a list of teams that LOST the SB and struggled the following year....

    Super Bowl losing teams who went on to poor follow-up performance include
    Atlanta Falcons. (Super Bowl XXXIII). 1998 season: 14-2; 1999 season: 5-11
    New York Giants. (Super Bowl XXXV). 2000 season: 12-4; 2001 season: 7-9.
    St. Louis Rams. (Super Bowl XXXVI). 2001 season: 14-2; 2002 season: 7-9.
    Oakland Raiders. (XXXVII). 2002 season: 11-5; 2003 season: 4-12
    Carolina Panthers. ( XXXVIII) 2003 season: 11-5; 2004 season: 7-9.
    Philadelphia Eagles. ( XXXIX) 2004 season: 13-3; 2005 season: 6-10.
    Chicago Bears. (Super Bowl XLI) 2006 season: 13-3; 2007 season: 7-9.[4]

    So yes, sometimes after teams achieve some success they struggle the following year. You can also include the steelers who WON a SB and had their young QB struggle the following year and only go 8-8.....guess they should have dumped that guy.
    No doubt, but the jets did not get to the Superbowl so what is the point?

    I questioned the posters statement that they may have slacked off because of the "heights" that they achieved. I disagreed and stated that no player or coach would consider losing two back to back conference games any reason to slack. If anything I believe it would drive them harder.

    I am not saying to dump anyone, where did you get that from?

    I don't dump on posters just because I am a patriot fan. It seems people read into my posts things that are not there.

  20. #40
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    North Jersey
    Posts
    2,749
    I'm not one for excuses, but I still believe the lockout/new practice rules hurt us last season. Not blaming the whole season on it, but it was definitely a factor

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us