Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rex Announces Howard In ...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post

I was on the anything but Howard bandwagon after the Giants debacle...

It can't be worse and there's still the option to trade for somebody...

I just can't believe we didn't cut him and attempt to sign Winston... I mean, it was just too easy a proposition... Even if we didn't end up landing a noteworthy tackle, we'd have saved the money and been in the same boat we are now, just minus a backup OG...
    They had to guarantee his money a few days after the SB and probably didn't have many takles available at that time. Like others have said he can play guard so Jets felt they atleast had a guard if he fails. Not the greatest decision but I'm assuming it had more to do with the FA market available at that time.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Spin it around like everyone else does.
    this is pretty clever. well done.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    sounds like he was told before the practice and couldn't handle it. that seems to be his downfall, can't handle the mental aspects of starting.
    I think this is it, he has the physical tools but not the mind to handle a starting right tackle job.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Being demoted is no fun. Give the man a day to get his **** together.
    I agree, it's pretty humiliating despite the 2 million compensation.

All League
    if he's guaranteed money, the only way they cut him is if they never intend to play him at all. truth, the way he's playing, it seems they can find someone on the waiver wire who can be as terrible.
    Yeah, I understand he's guaranteed the money. But I think they're gonna wind up cutting their losses and try to find a better player.

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    I think this is it, he has the physical tools but not the mind to handle a starting right tackle job.
    i think rex/tanny assumed that over time hunter would grow into the role. but he's destined to be a backup, at best. too bad he can't be a TE.

Veteran
    if he's guaranteed money, the only way they cut him is if they never intend to play him at all. truth, the way he's playing, it seems they can find someone on the waiver wire who can be as terrible.

I am guessing Hunter could fill in at guard adequately if needed for a few games , I don't think there is any reason to cut him given the guaranteed salary.

Quote Originally Posted by frostlich View Post
    Per the tweets, jets exploring trade for RT(not earth shattering).

Demotion related to Hunter missing practice yesterday?

What a train wreck.

Jets Insider VIP
    what happens if howard sucks against carolina? nowhere to go then.
    Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    While Howard can't possibly be worse than Hunter (he can't be.. right?) I really hope this isn't our 'solution' at RT.. they should bring in a few guys once roster cuts are made
    Exactly.

While it is a relief to know that Hunter is not currently the starter, I can't say I'm all warm and fuzzy about Austin Howard either.

We'll all know better after Sunday's game I imagine.

Hall Of Fame
    Just watching the presser.

Rex said Hunter was rated as the best blocking TE in the league when he had him playing there. He said there were "outside things" that claimed this. Would love to see that.

Why can't we just admit a phuck up and move on. Enough with the sugar-coating BS.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 08-23-2012 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Just watching the presser.

Rex said Hunter was rated as the best blocking TE in the league when he had him playing there. He said there were "outside things" that claimed this. Would love to see that.

Why can't we just admit a phuck up and move on. Enough with the sugar-coating BS.
    looks like hunter is the blocking TE now. may actually work.

Hall Of Fame
    Someone send an ambulance to coach Goog's office.

“But I’ll be honest with you: This guy is the starting right tackle. Until they tell me otherwise, until they ship him out of this building or until they shoot me dead in my office, that son of a gun is going to be the starting right tackle and he’s going to play well.”

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post

I was on the anything but Howard bandwagon after the Giants debacle...

It can't be worse and there's still the option to trade for somebody...

I just can't believe we didn't cut him and attempt to sign Winston... I mean, it was just too easy a proposition... Even if we didn't end up landing a noteworthy tackle, we'd have saved the money and been in the same boat we are now, just minus a backup OG...
    Unfortunately, the timing for that was off.

Hunter had long been guaranteed when Winston entered the market.

Cutting Hunter at that point would have still been a $2.45M hit on the cap.

All League
    AUGUST 23, 2012 12:00 PM
    Rex Ryan benches Jets right tackle Wayne Hunter in favor of Austin Howard
    BY MANISH MEHTA
    Rex Ryan made his first major shake-up of the preseason by benching beleaguered right tackle Wayne Hunter. Less than 48 hours after Ryan maintained that Gang Green wasn’t look to upgrade at the position, he pulled Hunter in favor of third-year journeyman Austin Howard, who will get his first-team reps in the third preseason game against the Panthers on Sunday night.

“Right now, I believe this is in the best interest of our team,” said Ryan, who informed Hunter of the decision on Thursday morning.

It appears that Howard, who opened plenty of eyes this spring and training camp, will be the starter on a trial basis.

“We’re always looking for things,” Ryan said. “If we can improve this team, then certainly we’re not going to shut ourselves out of that possibility.”

Ryan didn’t rule out the possibility that the Jets could bring in another tackle in the next couple weeks after teams make cuts. On Tuesday, Ryan said the Jets weren’t in the market for a starting right tackle.

“You’re always evaluating your team. If Jonathan Ogden called me up and said, ‘Rex, I’d like to come back,’ then Ogden’s our starting right tackle,” Ryan joked. “I think that’s mistake I made early (when he pronounced Hunter the starter). I need to see Austin with this group going against Carolina’s starters.”

“Right now, I’m thinking that we’re going to be okay,” Ryan added. “Look, I don’t know exactly what’s out there. We don’t know who’s going to be cut from other teams…. I don’t believe you’re going to find somebody right now that can be a starting right tackle ahead of who we have. We’ll see how Austin plays.”

Ryan was particular impressed with Howard’s play in the preseason opener against the Bengals, but admitted that he was just “okay” last week against the Giants.

“I thought he earned that right,” said Ryan. “We’ll see how he does this week.”

Ryan believes that Hunter can have a “very valuable role” as a “sixth man” playing backup tackle, guard and blocking tight end in jumbo packages. Hunter found success in those roles in 2009 and 2010. His solid play as a starter near the end of 2010 after Damien Woody was injured earned him a new contract. However, he struggled in the first year as a starter in his career in 2011.

“Is he perfect as a starting tackle? No,” Ryan said. But you know what? Nobody’s perfect. But I’m saying this: I know the success he had in the first two years in this role, I think, can really be helpful for this team.”

“I just thought that he’s better in this role,” Ryan added. “He’s played 10 years in this league. You don’t bluff your way in the National Football League for 10 years. 10 minutes maybe, But not 10 years. So obviously he’s got a lot of great tape. We focus on he’s got some bad plays. Everybody’s got some plays. He wasn’t the only one that never maybe performed to expectations last season.”

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...-austin-howard

Yup, agreed. This might be a decent role for him again. No one on one pass blocking but a help in the run game and for a max protect formation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Rex: "We are happy Wayne is on our team and we are excited to have him in this role"

at least we could get some use out of him that way. He sure as hell won't be catching any passes though. Maybe they will roll out a crazy wildcat formation with tebow and 3TEs (keller, cumby, hunter)?

Great news but I can't get too ecstatic with Howard either, but at least he has a chance to improve and possibly an upside with reps. We all know what WFH is at this point and probably 0% chance of him improving. Watching Howard in the Cinci game he made a few mistakes but handled himself ok for the most part.... OT but I noticed a lot of our O lineman not maintaining blocks, I see them make good 1st contact but let go and not finish before play is over. Drives me crazy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    I'd say among Hunter, Ducasse and Schlauderaff we've got the interior OL backups covered. Especially since both Slauson and Schlauderaff can play Center. But we really don't have any depth at either T.

It's still critical to sign an experienced OT after final cuts (or, even better, before).
    Especially considering how godawful Robert Griffin looked last game against 2's and 3's.

Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    at least we could get some use out of him that way. He sure as hell won't be catching any passes though. Maybe they will roll out a crazy wildcat formation with tebow and 3TEs (keller, cumby, hunter)?
    Wayne Hunter catches the super bowl winning pass. Book it!