Thread: I think we found our blocking TE

Banned

I think we found our blocking TE

I was just listening to the Rex Ryan press conference where he announced Wayne Hunter would be moved back to the role he had in 2009 and 2010 which is blocking TE on running plays and could even help as a 6th man on the line on passing plays. If you look at the numbers from 2009 and 2010 and compare them to 2011 we obviously ran the ball much better with Hunter in as the blocking TE then we did with Mulligan last year. This obviously all hinges on the idea that Howard can hold his own at right tackle. But I could see a scenario where Howard and Hunter are lined up next to each other double teaming a guy like Mario Williams in Game 1 this year. Rex made a great point that Mulligan only had 2 catches last year so using a guy like Hunter there isn't going to take anything away from the passing offense, in fact it will probably help b/c of the better protection. Lets be honest I know that Hunter has struggled in 1:1 pass protection but would you rather have him and Howard up against the likes of Mario Williams or Howard and Cumberland/Baker? It's a no brainer to me. So just by making this move, which was waaaaay overdue, I think we may have strengthened two positions at once. Just my opinion but I am optimistic that we have really helped our teams pass protection and run blocking

Jets Insider VIP
    Chooooooooooooooooooooooooon

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

love those blocking 'TE's' who are zero threat to ever even run a pass route, let alone catch the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    love those blocking 'TE's' who are zero threat to ever even run a pass route, let alone catch the ball.
    Or you know, can't really block

Long overdue. Now maybe we will finally see what Mark can do this year with a little time in the pocket. Hopefully more than the 2.5 seconds he's been getting.

Yeah, maybe Hunter actually has some value. Apparently he was solid doing this in 09 and 10. One thing we know for sure is the guy can't start. Interested to see if Austin Howard can hold his own. I just want this guy to be decent.

Remember when that ******* Slauson said he believed Hunter was an upgrade over Woody? Nice job! One ****ty lineman defending another.

Jets Insider VIP
    Can't wait for the trojan tight end thread!

Quote Originally Posted by IM3 View Post
    Or you know, can't really block
    mulligan couldn't catch or block, so what's the difference?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

I posted this yesterday in other thread (in response to going out and getting a blocking TE), but it seems to fit here....so rather than re-type the same response:

Ideally, we'd have a 2nd TE who was primarily a blocking TE but who could also catch. I always use Matt Spaeth, when he was on the Stillers as the quintessential example (I have no idea what he did on the Bears, TBH). But, looking at our roster as it currently stands.....Do we really need to go out and find a blocking TE right now?

I was in this camp too for a while but the Jets basically use their blocking TE as a 6th lineman, so why not simply use the 6th lineman and use the extra roster spot on a receiving TE, which really is more valuable in the long run? If the choice is cutting Cumberland or Baker in exchange for some crap TE who can block perfectly fine but can't catch a lick, might as well just keep those guys and use Austin Howard in jumbo sets.

The team doesn't throw to that guy anyway, as much as we could have. And now, I have no hope that we could find a guy who blocks who also could even catch a cold. Might as well use the roster space for someone else.

Jets Insider VIP
    Over / Under on Wayne Hunter receptions this season - 0.5

I'm going to take....

The Over!!!!

Is it completely unlikely Hunter could run a route and catch a pass? The reason I ask is whenever anyone talks about Hunter, they same the same thing over and over "great athleticism". Maybe this is something he could flourish at. I say go all the way, change his number, list him as a tight end, and use him as a lineman when injuries occur.

Jets Insider VIP
    Converting him might be a bit of a stretch but I would love to see him thrown to early in the season just to get opposing defenses thinking about it.

All League
    Now they just need a punter, a wide receiver, a right tackle still, and a running back.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombo View Post
    Now they just need a punter, a wide receiver, a right tackle still, and a running back.
    Based on that list and how our offense seems to be shaping up I'd invest most heavily in the Punter.