Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets work out McNeill, Clayton hints inquiry on Justice

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets work out McNeill, Clayton hints inquiry on Justice

The Jets recently worked out free agent OT Marcus McNeill, according to ESPN New York.

It's not clear if "recently" means before or after McNeill announced his retirement two weeks ago. It's quite possible that the workout convinced McNeill he was done. ESPN's John Clayton hinted that the Jets could be interested in trading for Colts RT Winston Justice, though he seemed to be just thinking out loud on that one. We don't see the Colts weakening their offensive line for Andrew Luck's debut.
    Cimini via twitter. Take it for what it's worth.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    What? Marcus McNeill just retired.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know he retired. As Cimini wrote above, it's not clear whether or not it was before or after the retirement (a little late reporting it then, no?). The Justice inquiry is more intriguing to me.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    they also tried to trade for otah. they're trying, there just aren't many RTs available.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    John Clayton ‏@ClaytonESPN The Jets are looking for a RT which is why i wonder about the Jets contacting the Colts about Winston Justice.

ohn Clayton ‏@ClaytonESPN
    I can't see the Colts trading RT Winston Justice to the Colts because I don't know if they have enough behind him.

40m John Clayton ‏@ClaytonESPN
    resending elite qb link. http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/page/jerpoijf[oreijfoq[oewfjw[oremvn/wxyzwxyz

41m John Clayton ‏@ClaytonESPN
    Sounds like the Colts are working on a trade. Jim Irsay tweeted trade winds blowing. They are looking for inside linebackers and CBs

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    John Clayton ‏@ClaytonESPN The Jets are looking for a RT which is why i wonder about the Jets contacting the Colts about Winston Justice.

ohn Clayton ‏@ClaytonESPN
    I can't see the Colts trading RT Winston Justice to the Colts because I don't know if they have enough behind him.

40m John Clayton ‏@ClaytonESPN
    resending elite qb link. http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/page/jerpoijf[oreijfoq[oewfjw[oremvn/wxyzwxyz

41m John Clayton ‏@ClaytonESPN
    Sounds like the Colts are working on a trade. Jim Irsay tweeted trade winds blowing. They are looking for inside linebackers and CBs
    I do NOT want to trade away any of our CBs or ILBs.

Scott or Wilson are the only two that I would consider, but I want to keep Wilson, TBH.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol has there ever been so much coverage for the search of a RT??? There's no reasons for other teams to try and screw us knowing how desperate the Jets are.

This is pathetic, this is what they get for waiting the last minute. Genius.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    All this rock turning for RT's woulda been great.... if it was done 4 months ago

I wish one of the jets beat writers would ask Tanny or Rex what they saw on game tape that made them feel confident about Hunter going into tc as the starting RT.

It just doesn't make sense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Scott can go, Wilson......that would be a tough one but it sounds like our other non starter CB's are playing very well.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim Irsay ‏@JimIrsay
    TRADE WINDS BLOWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Collapse
    Reply Retweet Favorite
    That was two hours ago....all speculation but who knows...maybe they'll cut us a break because we gave them Stanton on the cheap?

Nevertheless, if they traded Justice, Jeff Linkenbach would move to starter and that guy is in the class of Wayne Hunter.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I do NOT want to trade away any of our CBs or ILBs.

Scott or Wilson are the only two that I would consider, but I want to keep Wilson, TBH.
    We have added some decent DB depth this offseason. Wilson is a luxury at this point. And with our RT situation we can't afford luxuries at CB when we already have Revis and Cromartie.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    lol has there ever been so much coverage for the search of a RT??? There's no reasons for other teams to try and screw us knowing how desperate the Jets are.

This is pathetic, this is what they get for waiting the last minute. Genius.
    Agreed, we are going to over pay.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    how good is justice?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This was from March 14, 2012 - The colts did not give up much for Justice.

The Indianapolis Colts announced Wednesday that they have traded for offensive tackle Winston Justice, formerly of the Eagles.

New Colts G.M. Ryan Grigson was Philadelphia’s director of college scouting when the Eagles made Justice the 39th overall pick in the 2006 draft.
    Justice, 28, will likely start at right tackle in Indianapolis, across from 2011 first-round pick Anthony Castonzo. Right tackle was a major trouble spot for the Colts all last year.

The trade didn’t cost the Colts much; the Eagles were going to release Justice anyway. In exchange for Justice, the Colts and Eagles have swapped 2012 sixth-round picks.

Philadelphia moved up 16 spots in round six.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe The Colts will accept Bart for Winston Justice to add a veteran to a D who is learning how to play a 3-4. I'm not sure if Pagano was on Baltimore's staff when Bart was there, but there may be a connection

Of course this is all wishful thinking on my behalf

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was Justice the Philly tackle who got beat for like 6 sacks against the Giants one game?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    From a quick search it appears The Colts restructured his contract to be a one year deal for $1.5M. He will be a FA after this season.

The Colts want to protect Luck's a$$ at all costs so they would need something pretty sweet to give up cheap O-Line depth this year. They would probably require a starter at a position of need or a very high draft pick.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-r.../post/17881827
    Last edited by Jgrlica3; 08-23-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: added link

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    All this rock turning for RT's woulda been great.... if it was done 4 months ago

I wish one of the jets beat writers would ask Tanny or Rex what they saw on game tape that made them feel confident about Hunter going into tc as the starting RT.

It just doesn't make sense.
    Im guessing either

"when we watched the tape, we saw there wasnt really THAT many times he was beat physically, but more that he got beat off the little things we can improve on during the offseason"

or

"Tony Sparano will fix it. He is really going to crack these linemen into shape"

or

"we plan on utilizing a different zone blocking scheme that can really work to Waynes benefit"

What a crock.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    This was from March 14, 2012 - The colts did not give up much for Justice.

The Indianapolis Colts announced Wednesday that they have traded for offensive tackle Winston Justice, formerly of the Eagles.

New Colts G.M. Ryan Grigson was Philadelphia’s director of college scouting when the Eagles made Justice the 39th overall pick in the 2006 draft.
    Justice, 28, will likely start at right tackle in Indianapolis, across from 2011 first-round pick Anthony Castonzo. Right tackle was a major trouble spot for the Colts all last year.

The trade didn’t cost the Colts much; the Eagles were going to release Justice anyway. In exchange for Justice, the Colts and Eagles have swapped 2012 sixth-round picks.

Philadelphia moved up 16 spots in round six.
    so they moved up in the 6th round to acquire him? wow, must be good.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Was Justice the Philly tackle who got beat for like 6 sacks against the Giants one game?
    Yes. That was five years ago.