Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O/T 3D Television

Quote Originally Posted by stanner View Post
    You know as much about TVs as you do about football. Stick to your expertise: trolling.
    I'm actually considered as a bit of an TV expert by friends and family seeing as I was once the electronics buyer for a retail chain for 10 years and still regularly go to CES for kicks and giggles.

But if you'd rather get into some dick measuring contest over 3D TV with a fellow Jets fan, be my guest.
    Last edited by GuidoYaztremski; 08-23-2012 at 10:11 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    I'm actually considered as a bit of an TV expert by friends and family seeing as I was once the electronics buyer for a retail chain for 10 years and still regularly go to CES for kicks and giggles.

But if you'd rather get into some dick measuring contest over 3D TV with a fellow Jets fan, be my guest.
    You're the one that pointed out "Samuang" was a superior brand to Vizio, not Pauly, and I didn't say anything in that regard. And, your wrong. Guess you were a buyer for Bradlees a long time ago.

And, I'd rather do anything with a fellow jets fan than interact at all with some pathetic no life troll.

Veteran

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by paulyjet View Post
    Cause you dont have it.

Samaung 55" LCD 3D

Love it!

Nah, I can definitely afford one.

But yeah, it's a total gimmick.

As Monster_Green stated, they've been trying to push this crap since back in the 50's. Then tried bringing it back in the 80's and it failed again.

The vast majority of people don't want to wear uncomfortable sunglasses and watch a bunch of goofy sh*t pop out at them.

A nice LCD suits me just fine.

All League
    Gimmick.
    wrong forum. Search the strip, keyword Tebow

I have a 60 inch Samsung 240 LED 3D TV (240 hertz). When I first bought it last December, I watched everything 3D, even stuff that wasn't and the TV was just converting the 2D to 3D. I loved it at first. After a while, I grew out of it. The glasses dim the picture a lot and most programming isn't in real 3D anyway.

Now I watch so rarely it gives me a headache when I do watch... I'll be very interested when the non-glasses version comes out

EDIT: I've watched several college games on ESPN 3D, including the BCS title game. Here's the major problem with football in 3D: since they need special cameras, the ones ESPN set up gave odd camera angles. The cameras are obviously quite expensive and ESPN is not going to place them all over the field like its regular cameras since it is only for a limited audience. You ended up with diagonal shots of the line of scrimmage and it really detracted from the quality of the game. I noticed this less on their broadcasts of college hoops in 3D, probably because the court is way smaller than a football field. Also, ESPN 3D would have a scrub announcing team doing the broadcast for 3D usually, which really took away from things. 2D to 3D NFL games are decent, certain close-up shots you really notice the depth and 3D effect, on shots from further away not so much.
    Last edited by SlickBri481; 08-24-2012 at 12:26 AM.

All League
    I may be in the minority here, but got my 3D tv about a yar ago, watched a hanful of 3D blue rays, a few football games, a baseball game or 2 and a round of golf and after 2 weeks, I was done, haven't watched 3D since. Calibrating the TV and breaking it in properly was far more valuable than the 3D.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    Its probably a good thing NFL games arent in 3D. IUs anyone sober watching a football game?

Drinking and 3D TV Don't Mix
    by Brad Trechak, posted Apr 15th 2010 1:03PM

Samsung is distributing a new warning label on its 3D televisions: if a person watches it while in an intoxicated state, there is a danger of that person going into seizures as well as a host of other health problems. This poses serious problems for anybody hoping to have a Super Bowl party utilizing a 3D television. In addition, the warning suggests against watching by the elderly or expecting.

Samsung also recommends keeping such televisions away from "open stairwells, cables, balconies" and other places or things you could trip over. Admittedly, I don't know anybody who keeps their television near a stairwell or balcony, but it could happen. Cables, on the other hand, are ubiquitous for almost every home entertainment system, so that poses a risk for anybody watching a program while drunk.

Other health risks of 3D include nausea, dizziness and strokes. I have the same risks anytime I watch Fox News. I must make note that should I ever get a 3D television, I should not watch Fox News while intoxicated. That would get messy.
    I know this one... its the same warning they inserted at the beginning of NES games in 1986. Its all bull****. Im super drunk and just got done watching The Avengers in 3d... Im not dead.

Veteran
    You're the one that pointed out "Samuang" was a superior brand to Vizio, not Pauly, and I didn't say anything in that regard. And, your wrong. Guess you were a buyer for Bradlees a long time ago.

And, I'd rather do anything with a fellow jets fan than interact at all with some pathetic no life troll.
    Hahaha, hilarious!

Actually Stanley, it was a high end electronics chain but no matter. Don't be angry with me just because you cheaped out and bought a budget brand like Vizio. If you honestly think you get the same PQ as a Samsung or LG or Panny Plasma then there's no hope for you anyway.

And I happen to agree, 3D is a gimmick.

Actually Stanley, it was a high end electronics chain but no matter. Don't be angry with me just because you cheaped out and bought a budget brand like Vizio. If you honestly think you get the same PQ as a Samsung or LG or Panny Plasma then there's no hope for you anyway.

It will be when 4D comes out.

All League

Sorry: Tweeter. Way to bankrupt a company.

If you spent some time using the internet for something other than trolling a jets board, you'd see Vizio rates pretty high in pq. I did a lot of research before I bought my set, and made my decision on quality, not price. I have a Samsung, Sony and Insignia in addition to the Vizio. I make my purchases individually based on need, not brand loyalty.

Vizio used to be budget oriented. They've changed direction. The Patriots used to win super bowls.

Gimmick. Soon to go the way of the hula hoop and the dodo.
    What girl never got a hula hoop?

Sorry: Tweeter. Way to bankrupt a company.

If you spent some time using the internet for something other than trolling a jets board, you'd see Vizio rates pretty high in pq. I did a lot of research before I bought my set, and made my decision on quality, not price. I have a Samsung, Sony and Insignia in addition to the Vizio. I make my purchases individually based on need, not brand loyalty.

Vizio used to be budget oriented. They've changed direction. The Patriots used to win super bowls.
    but at least they still go without a ticket.

I bought a 60" Samsung 8000 series and ordered ESPN 3D and I have seen all the sports in 3D and Football ( College) is incredible, the shots from field level end zone are amazing. The depth when you have 11 on 11 is just amazing. I watched Wimbeldon live and it was ok because there you need depth, meaning mulitiple people next to each other and field level to look the best. Little League WS is on now and the shots of the pitcher behind home plate are amazing. The NFL WILL NOT broadcast in 3D because they have enough problems getting people to go to games, if people ever sit and watch an NFL game in 3D that will be it. I bought Hugo for my Blu-Ray and thought that was a great 3D movie.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What girl never got a hula hoop?
    As someone that creates 3d special fx for TV ... its a gimmick. Almost all the guys I work with agree ... even when the glasses go away ... if the fidelity of the image is compromised in any way its a pfail ... sort of like this thread.

2000 .... boooya

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    As someone that creates 3d special fx for TV ... its a gimmick. Almost all the guys I work with agree ... even when the glasses go away ... if the fidelity of the image is compromised in any way its a pfail ... sort of like this thread.

2000 .... boooya
    Agreed. I saw a full color demo at CES of what was promised to come in the not so distance future. It was a full color 3D projected moving Hologram of a belly dancer. It was only about 4 inches tall but was amazing, you could walk around it in its entirety and was true 3D (no glasses). The pitch was that soon you would have this in your living room and it would be like you were in the middle of the scene. Of course, this was 1985. I'm still waiting.

And To Stanley from PTown: No, wasn't Tweeter.

All League
    PTown is a blast; was there last week. I'm not the kinda guy that would get offended when you suggest I'm from there. Feel free to change my name around, too. I'm cool.

PTown is a blast; was there last week. I'm not the kinda guy that would get offended when you suggest I'm from there. Feel free to change my name around, too. I'm cool.
    At last we agree on something. I was in PTown 2 weeks ago. Always a fun stop. Also can't beat watching the whales from the shore at Race Point Beach.