Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Braylon outplaying T.O. in Seattle

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Guy hasn't been on the team for two years now and we still have at least one thread about him every week on this board.

I guess I'll have to wait for Braylon to retire before I can erase him from my memory.
    The media and the talking heads have done nothing but bash the Jets since Training Camp started. The net result is a bunch of riled up Jets fans. One thread after the other on what is wrong with a team who's season hasn't even started yet. Braylon is just another outlet in which to pine about.

Hall Of Fame
    Why hasn't Stephen Hill?

We draft an athletic freak with huge upside in the 2nd round yet I still have to be reminded constantly of the "legend that never was".
    I agree to a certain extent. It was never about drafting a top WR or Braylon, its about the lower priced veteran WR Tanny chose to bring in. My point is that Tanny did a horrible job in providing any depth at the position. This team would be in much better shape if the vet WR brought in could actually play. If not Braylon then there were other lower priced choices that that didnt have a career filled with injuries.

You can't honestly believe that...
    I absolutely do. We'd be slurping Sparano and Sanchez, dancing on Schitty's grave, taking aim at the Patriots, and dreaming Super Bowl. No time to even think about Braylon.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinJet View Post
    +1

I was pissed when we kept Holmes over Braylon.......Pissed I tell ya! Can't change it, all we can do is live with it.
    Yet since we let him go, braylon has done absolutely nothing, and now he's fighting for a roster spot. F'ng Tanny .

If we cut Holmes tomorrow he'd be picked up in a heartbeat. I've said it before, the only people who still feel that Santonio Holmes was the wrong choice are people that are still butthurt over the blow up in Miami. This is coming from someone who LOVED Braylon on this team. The guy was a solid receiver for us but he wasn't special. We drafted a guy who should fill his role pretty nicely. It really is time to just get over Braylon friggin Edwards already.
    Last edited by Mogglez; 08-23-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    It should be obvious by now that the Jets organization does not want to be affiliated, in any way, with Braylon Edwards. I think it sucks, but that's the way it is.
    They don't want to be successful that's why. Don't worry, after this season Santonio will be let go.v Freakin joke of a franchise.

Oh no, a former jet is a favorite to make a below average team ahead of another washed up wide out that was bounced from an arena league team! What a total disaster!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I was at practice week for the team picnic. My guess is that Braylon is going to send TO back into retirement. TO is washed up, and it shows in practice.

Leon Washington is as good as he was when he was a Jet. The Seahawks are holding off on selling L. Washington jerseys for now. Maybe there is a way to bring him back???

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Yet since we let him go, braylon has done absolutely nothing, and now he's fighting for a roster spot. F'ng Tanny .

If we cut Holmes tomorrow he'd be picked up in a heartbeat. I've said it before, the only people who still feel that Santonio Holmes was the wrong choice are people that are still butthurt over the blow up in Miami. This is coming from someone who LOVED Braylon on this team. The guy was a solid receiver for us but he wasn't special. We drafted a guy who should fill his role pretty nicely. It really is time to just get over Braylon friggin Edwards already.
    Your insane. If we dumped holmes I guarantee that no team would give him 10mil a year, or anything close to that. You have to be slow like sling blade to be unable to see that Braylon was so much more valuable to the JETS than Holmes was/is.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Your insane. If we dumped holmes I guarantee that no team would give him 10mil a year, or anything close to that. You have to be slow like sling blade to be unable to see that Braylon was so much more valuable to the JETS than Holmes was/is.
    If we cut him, other teams wouldn't have to pay him $10 mill.

The real point is, when we let Braylon go, teams didn't come running (two years in a row). Do you really think Santonio would receive similar interest?

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

Quote Originally Posted by jetman67 View Post
    I was at practice week for the team picnic. My guess is that Braylon is going to send TO back into retirement. TO is washed up, and it shows in practice.

Leon Washington is as good as he was when he was a Jet. The Seahawks are holding off on selling L. Washington jerseys for now. Maybe there is a way to bring him back???
    Why would Jet fans want the BAP? I was thinking the same thing just before I logged on here & would LUV to have Leon back in Sparano's ground-n-pound offensive scheme.

Hey Jman do me a favor & ask Leon how much he wants to come back to the Jets. Maybe I'll buy him as a nice retirement gift for Mike Westhoff seeing as how it's his last season as a ST coach. (-;

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Really? Cause when he hit free agency the redskins were ready to do just that. But he preferred to play for us and signed here. Only a moron would think that Holmes would rot as a free agent if we cut him. I'm willing to bet the Pats would LOVE to have him up there with Brady.

Give me one reason why Braylon was more valuable. In 12 games Holmes came close to matching the production Braylon had in 16. We were given a choice between the two. Holmes was coming off a year where he won games for us and produced at a high level even with his suspension. Braylon on the other hand was coming off a solid year. Not great. Just good. He also got arrested for a DUI. Something that happened while he was on probation for another incident that got him traded in the first place.

That offseason, Holmes was widely considered to be the best FA WR available and Braylon had to settle for a 1-year 1-million dollar deal with the 49rs who would later cut him, despite being absolutely deprived at the position.

Holmes is an excellent route runner with great hands. Edwards is a good blocker who is nowhere near the type of route runner that Holmes is. So again, give me one good reason we should have picked Braylon. Only a slow person would give Edwards the contract that Holmes got that year.

Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    If we cut him, other teams wouldn't have to pay him $10 mill.

The real point is, when we let Braylon go, teams didn't come running (two years in a row). Do you really think Santonio would receive similar interest?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogglez View Post
    Really? Cause when he hit free agency the redskins were ready to do just that. But he preferred to play for us and signed here. Only a moron would think that Holmes would rot as a free agent if we cut him. I'm willing to bet the Pats would LOVE to have him up there with Brady.

Give me one reason why Braylon was more valuable. In 12 games Holmes came close to matching the production Braylon had in 16. We were given a choice between the two. Holmes was coming off a year where he won games for us and produced at a high level even with his suspension. Braylon on the other hand was coming off a solid year. Not great. Just good. He also got arrested for a DUI. Something that happened while he was on probation for another incident that got him traded in the first place.

That offseason, Holmes was widely considered to be the best FA WR available and Braylon had to settle for a 1-year 1-million dollar deal with the 49rs who would later cut him, despite being absolutely deprived at the position.

Holmes is an excellent route runner with great hands. Edwards is a good blocker who is nowhere near the type of route runner that Holmes is. So again, give me one good reason we should have picked Braylon. Only a slow person would give Edwards the contract that Holmes got that year.
    This has been debunked. The only team that showed real interest in Holmes was the Jets. He had NO other offers. The Jets were bidding against themselves. But go ahead, show us proof of the Skins offer.

And your production argument is weak. The offense was running well until Santonio came back in week 5. Sanchez then started force feeding Santonio the ball.

In 15 games in 2010 (he sat out the last game against the Bills), Edwards put up pretty good numbers as the #1 WR, in a run-heavy offense. Edwards has NEVER played with anything remotely close to a good NFL QB. The one year he played with a half-competent QB (Derek Anderson), he put monster numbers.

Holmes played with a future HoFer at QB and has never put up impressive numbers.

In 2011, in the same offense, without Edwards, with a THIRD year Sanchez (who was better than a second year Sanchez), in a pass heavier offense, Santonio Holmes put up putrid numbers. And that's the first time he was a "#1 WR." Expect more of the same this season. Without good players to take the focus off of him, he's shown that he's JAG.

What's so good about Holmes? He's not that fast, he's not big, he's not strong, he doesn't break tackles, he's not physical, and he'll put the ball on the ground if you give him a good lick. He doesn't have any physical advantages over the CBs he goes against. He's got great body control, but that's about it. There's only one elite small WR in the NFL: Steve Smith.
    Last edited by detectivekimble; 08-23-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    This has been debunked. The only team that showed real interest in Holmes was the Jets. But go ahead, show us proof of the Skins offer.

And your production argument is weak. The offense was running well until Santonio came back in week 5. Sanchez then started force feeding Santonio the ball.

In 15 games in 2010 (he sat out the last game against the Bills), Edwards put up pretty good numbers as the #1 WR, in a run-heavy offense. Edwards has NEVER played with anything remotely close to a good NFL QB. The one year he played with a half-competent QB (Derek Anderson), he put monster numbers.

Holmes played with a future HoFer at QB and has never put up impressive numbers.

In 2011, in the same offense, without Edwards, with a THIRD year Sanchez (who was better than a second year Sanchez), in a pass heavier offense, Santonio Holmes put up putrid numbers. And that's the first time he was a "#1 WR." Expect more of the same this season. Without good players to take the focus off of him, he's shown that he's JAG.
    If your argument is some Jet fans overvalue Holmes, you've made some good points.

If it's to support the idea that Braylon was better (and I LOVED the guy), you're still ignoring how 31 other teams have treated him for two straight seasons . . .

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntinJet View Post
    +1

I was pissed when we kept Holmes over Braylon.......Pissed I tell ya! Can't change it, all we can do is live with it.
    I think it would have been the other way around if not for two things:
    1) Braylon and the D and D issues
    2) CBA and its timing. We could have put a RFA tag on Holmes, and dollars to donuts SOMEONE, after the season Holmes put together with good behaviour, would have worked out a deal to give us AT LEAST a 2nd for him, if not the 1st round tender he would have been put at.

If your argument is some Jet fans overvalue Holmes, you've made some good points.

If it's to support the idea that Braylon was better (and I LOVED the guy), you're still ignoring how 31 other teams have treated him for two straight seasons . . .
    One team gave Holmes an offer during FA last season. One team gave Edwards an offer during FA last season.

And Edwards is a better player. You're ignoring the BS restaurant brawl story that leaked out during FA last year. If you don't think that cost Braylon a deal, you're nuts. In fact, if you read about the lawsuit, it came out that Edwards was going to sign a multi-year deal with a team until that story came out. The restaurant, of course, settled with Edwards after he sued them.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...ney-to-charity
    Last edited by detectivekimble; 08-23-2012 at 11:25 PM.

This has been debunked. The only team that showed real interest in Holmes was the Jets. He had NO other offers. The Jets were bidding against themselves. But go ahead, show us proof of the Skins offer.

What's so good about Holmes? He's not that fast, he's not big, he's not strong, he doesn't break tackles, he's not physical, and he'll put the ball on the ground if you give him a good lick. He doesn't have any physical advantages over the CBs he goes against. He's got great body control, but that's about it. There's only one elite small WR in the NFL: Steve Smith.
    debunked by who? it was reported in several places that washington was targeting holmes in FA. where have you read that they were not interested in signing holmes? also calling him a JAG is laughable... he's not a true #1 but there's only a few players like that in the NFL that can get open on their own and they get $130M contracts, not $50M. holmes is a fine 1a/1b but needs a deep threat like braylon on the other side to open up the middle
    Last edited by cant wait; 08-23-2012 at 11:26 PM.

One team gave Holmes an offer during FA last season. One team gave Edwards an offer during FA last season.

And Edwards is a better player. You're ignoring the BS restaurant brawl story that leaked out during FA last year. If you don't think that cost Braylon a deal, you're nuts. In fact, if you read about the lawsuit, it came out that Edwards was going to sign a multi-year deal with a team until that story came out. The restaurant, of course, settled with Edwards after he sued them.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...ney-to-charity
    I guess time will tell.

If Braylon has a good season this year, we can call it a mistake by the FO.

But until he does I can't keep holding on to a distant memory when nothing good has happened for the guy since . . .

Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    debunked by who? it was reported in several places that washington was targeting holmes in FA. where have you read that they were not interested in signing holmes?
    Vinny Cerrato. He tweeted this after the meltdown in Miami.

If they were interested, they would have offered. When have the Redskins ever been shy about making an offer? Holmes and his agent probably created that BS story to drive up his price.

The fact is, NO other team offered Holmes a dime. The Jets were bidding against themselves. The only people who think Santonio was in demand are the ones drinking the Kool Aid.

I guess time will tell.

If Braylon has a good season this year, we can call it a mistake by the FO.

But until he does I can't keep holding on to a distant memory when nothing good has happened for the guy since . . .
    And that's the wrong way to think. Just because nothing good happened in the one season with SF, doesn't mean nothing good would have happened had he stayed here. Same offense, third year with Sanchez, etc.