Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remember when Wayne Hunter beasted when Woody went down?

Remember when Wayne Hunter beasted when Woody went down?

Such great potential we saw in him.

Oh well, he turned out to be a 3 game wonder.

At this point, it appears to be EXACTLY that, a 3 game wonder. Truth is he hasn't even come close to what he did in the 2010 playoffs in ANY game since he became a starter.

All Pro
    he got lazy, sloppy, figured out & PAID!

plus we (the jets) had alot of confidence and rythem

All Pro
    Might be that we over-rated his performance because we played well in those three games (for the most part) ... winning can hide a multitude of sins.

Plus, we already had our scapegoat for the eventual loss (Schotty) so didn't need another one at the time.

He's not that bad run blocking, which is what he had to predominantly do then. Maybe he just wasn't exposed?

Hunter never "beasted." He was always terrible. You have selective memory.

From Jason:

nyjetscap ‏@nyjetscap
    Re: Hunter on stats on I track he rated at 7.53% increase in failures on the year, which would have ranked 63rd in the NFL #Jets
    nyjetscap ‏@nyjetscap
    Hunter was actually worse in 2010 at 9.53% but only played 175 passing snaps and people were blinded by 1 or 2 good games #Jets
    nyjetscap ‏@nyjetscap
    As a TE in 2009 and 2010, he only played 32 snaps in PP but graded at 3.57% in failure increases. Maybe thats his role...30 snaps #nyj

All League
    No, I don't remember

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Hunter never "beasted." He was always terrible. You have selective memory.

From Jason:
    I don't believe those percentages accurately reflect how well he played in the playoffs. Watching the games tells a different story. Ever since, he's been poo poo.

All League
    don't forget the last 3 games of the regular season too (2 wins to help get into the playoffs). woody had surgery near the beginning of december. he didn't just start in the playoffs. he was more like a 5 or 6 game wonder.

i don't remember his play specifically, but that's always a good thing when it comes to Olinemen i suppose. he obviously filled in some what admirably for woody the end of 2010 and into the playoffs, as compared to starting all season in 2011.

I thought given Hunter's solid performance filling in for Woody that he'd be an excellent RT for the 2011 season. Maybe our run-heavy offense during those last few replacement games covered up Hunter's warts ? But the player in 2011 was not the guy I remembered from 2010.

That was until he gave up a sack or two and his feelings were hurt and confidence was shot. Down hill from there.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY State of Mind View Post
    Such great potential we saw in him.

Oh well, he turned out to be a 3 game wonder.
    He also had Ben Hartsock, LT and TRich helping him in pass pro.

He wasn't getting it done as an island of his own.

Not to mention, no one had any film on him. That also helped him get by for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

Not to mention, no one had any film on him. That also helped him get by for a while.
    No one has film of "the Duck" either.

Superbowl.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I don't believe those percentages accurately reflect how well he played in the playoffs. Watching the games tells a different story. Ever since, he's been poo poo.
    I think its somewhere in between. More than anything, we had a pretty low bar that he had to meet. Woody went down, everyone thought the sky was falling and he came in and did OK. He wasn't great - he was competent enough.

But, the sample size was pretty small. Over a 16 game period, he regressed to the mean.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I think its somewhere in between. More than anything, we had a pretty low bar that he had to meet. Woody went down, everyone thought the sky was falling and he came in and did OK. He wasn't great - he was competent enough.

But, the sample size was pretty small. Over a 16 game period, he regressed to the mean.
    To his mean, yes. I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

True - Hunter had much more support in 2010. Too bad the Front Office couldn't realize this and provide additional help to the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Not so sure he played 'well' in the playoffs. I remember one of the Steelers claiming Hunter was tipping plays during the AFC Championship game, including on our failed goal line plays.

I wouldn't say he beasted, he was an adequate fill-in. Obviously his deficiencies were being covered up by an otherwise strong line and opponents didn't know enough about him yet to really attack him.

Hall Of Fame
    Hunter always sucked.

You are just believing what Rex told you guys.

Besides, there wasn't enough film of him in the games so teams did not try to exploit him as much. Not to mention the running game was better which helps everything and we gave him help.

He has been exposed. Just like Eric Smith. Good players when used for a handful of snaps in non-essential roles. But once they get any real responsibility they get exposed. I don't blame Hunter and Smith as much as I blame the coaches for putting them in position to fail. Sooner or later they have to accept a player for what they are. How many times did they have to see Smith get torched by a TE before they decided not to leave him in man-to-man.

Quote Originally Posted by SINYJets View Post
    Not so sure he played 'well' in the playoffs. I remember one of the Steelers claiming Hunter was tipping plays during the AFC Championship game, including on our failed goal line plays.
    Well compared to what was expected.