Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 44

Thread: Austin Howard Facts

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,689

    Austin Howard Facts

    Here are some facts about Austin Howard from the 2010 Pro Football Weekly
    Draft Guide:

    - Went to Northern Iowa

    - Was a TE when he enrolled

    - He was a medical redshirt in 2005. Played TE in 2006 & 2007

    - He outgrew TE and was converted to OT in 2008. Only played OT for two
    years in college which probably led to him not being drafted


    Here's their summary on him:

    Converted tight end who added nearly 50 pounds in his final two years. Is
    still growing into his body and has not developed muscle memory to carry
    the weight. A developmental prospect who will require several years in the
    weight room before he's ready.

  2. #2
    KRL - Why are you posting information about our young players that are now going to be stepping into the starting lineup?????

    I hate Tebow!!!!

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    4,795
    Thanks for posting. We can only hope he's halfway decent.

  4. #4
    SI's(Tony Pauline's) pre-draft scouting report

    Biography: Three-year starter who broke in with the first team as a tight end in 2007, All-Conference selection the past two years.

    Positives: Big, athletic blocker with a good degree of upside. Blocks with a wide base, keeps his feet moving nicely adjusts to pick up blitzes thrown by the opposition. Displays good movement skills, effective on the second level, and can hit a moving target. Plays with a large degree of quickness. He?s a solid position blocker and easily controls opponents once engaged the point of attack, makes solid use of angles and body positioning.

    Negatives: He gets lazy with his hands at times and does not stick them into defenders.. Does not finish blocks and tends to fall off defenders. Must improve his overall body strength.

    Analysis: Howard has taken to the tackle position since moving there his junior season. He possesses an NFL body and is a solid long term developmental prospect who should be stashed on a team?s practice squad. Has the build to be used on the right side, yet his athleticism and movement skills will also give him an opportunity at left tackle.

    Projection: FA

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/16834.html

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,689
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    SI's(Tony Pauline's) pre-draft scouting report

    Biography: Three-year starter who broke in with the first team as a tight end in 2007, All-Conference selection the past two years.

    Positives: Big, athletic blocker with a good degree of upside. Blocks with a wide base, keeps his feet moving nicely adjusts to pick up blitzes thrown by the opposition. Displays good movement skills, effective on the second level, and can hit a moving target. Plays with a large degree of quickness. He?s a solid position blocker and easily controls opponents once engaged the point of attack, makes solid use of angles and body positioning.

    Negatives: He gets lazy with his hands at times and does not stick them into defenders.. Does not finish blocks and tends to fall off defenders. Must improve his overall body strength.

    Analysis: Howard has taken to the tackle position since moving there his junior season. He possesses an NFL body and is a solid long term developmental prospect who should be stashed on a team?s practice squad. Has the build to be used on the right side, yet his athleticism and movement skills will also give him an opportunity at left tackle.

    Projection: FA

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/16834.html
    So based on Tony's & Pro Football Weekly's breakdown on Howard we can
    only hope the light went on this year and he's ready to fulfill his potential

  6. #6
    I wouldn't expect something great, but will he be a liability like Hunter was?


    I still think that our week 1 starting RT isn't on the roster yet.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,868
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    I wouldn't expect something great, but will he be a liability like Hunter was?


    I still think that our week 1 starting RT isn't on the roster yet.
    What if he is worse than hunter

    Then when they put hunter back in the FO will look like geniuses

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    What if he is worse than hunter

    Then when they put hunter back in the FO will look like geniuses
    If that happens we should give him a award or something, because that wouldn't be easy to do.

  9. #9
    Was he a LT or RT in College?

    I think he is going to be a good run blocker...pass blocking, we will see.

    A couple months ago someone posted a real detailed review of his one pro start that happened to be vs Demarcus Ware, he struggled but thats to be expected.

    He definitely has had the NFL time to put on weight/strength....lets hope his technique is where it needs to be and he is ready for his shot.

  10. #10
    Steroids.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Was he a LT or RT in College?

    I think he is going to be a good run blocker...pass blocking, we will see.

    A couple months ago someone posted a real detailed review of his one pro start that happened to be vs Demarcus Ware, he struggled but thats to be expected.

    He definitely has had the NFL time to put on weight/strength....lets hope his technique is where it needs to be and he is ready for his shot.
    LT

    2008 Season Second team All-Missouri Valley at left tackle.

    2007 Season Started all 13 games at tight end … used as more of a blocker than a downfield receiver … hauled in five passes for 38 yards and a touchdown on the season … caught his first collegiate pass for seven yards in UNI's 24-13 win at Iowa State (9/8) … caught a career-high two passes for 20 yards in a 42-3 win at Western Illinois (10/20) … nabbed his first collegiate touchdown pass on a four-yard toss from Eric Sanders in the fourth quarter of UNI's FCS playoff quarterfinal game against Delaware (12/1).

    2006 Season
    Saw action in 10 games … drew two starting assignments against Indiana State (10/14) and against Western Illinois (10/28) when the Panthers began the game with a two-tight end alignment … did not record a statistic as he was used mostly in a blocking role.

    2005 Season
    Redshirted.

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...orical/1246788
    Last edited by C Mart; 08-23-2012 at 08:50 PM.

  12. #12
    Austin Howard OT

    Northern Iowa

    DraftNasty.com Description

    Howard, 6'7" 319 lbs, is quickly becoming a name thrown around as we at DraftNasty scour the nation to find the country's best talent. The former basketball player's combination of length, athletic ability and versatility serve as a resounding explanation. If he can improve on his technique over the next several months, Howard may vault himself into one of the top ten offensive tackle prospects in the 2010 NFL Draft.

    http://www.draftnasty.com/football_c...austin_howard/

  13. #13
    Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,360
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    SI's(Tony Pauline's) pre-draft scouting report

    Biography: Three-year starter who broke in with the first team as a tight end in 2007, All-Conference selection the past two years.

    Positives: Big, athletic blocker with a good degree of upside. Blocks with a wide base, keeps his feet moving nicely adjusts to pick up blitzes thrown by the opposition. Displays good movement skills, effective on the second level, and can hit a moving target. Plays with a large degree of quickness. He?s a solid position blocker and easily controls opponents once engaged the point of attack, makes solid use of angles and body positioning.

    Negatives: He gets lazy with his hands at times and does not stick them into defenders.. Does not finish blocks and tends to fall off defenders. Must improve his overall body strength.

    Analysis: Howard has taken to the tackle position since moving there his junior season. He possesses an NFL body and is a solid long term developmental prospect who should be stashed on a team?s practice squad. Has the build to be used on the right side, yet his athleticism and movement skills will also give him an opportunity at left tackle.

    Projection: FA

    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/16834.html

    Tony knows his ****.

    I'm encouraged.


    -

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Tony knows his ****.

    I'm encouraged.


    -
    That he does

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Austin Howard OT

    Northern Iowa

    DraftNasty.com Description

    Howard, 6'7" 319 lbs, is quickly becoming a name thrown around as we at DraftNasty scour the nation to find the country's best talent. The former basketball player's combination of length, athletic ability and versatility serve as a resounding explanation. If he can improve on his technique over the next several months, Howard may vault himself into one of the top ten offensive tackle prospects in the 2010 NFL Draft.

    http://www.draftnasty.com/football_c...austin_howard/
    Maybe its just fan optimism, but it seems like maybe this kid could be something. Has size and athletic ability and has been given time to get strong enough and learn the position. Maybe we can get a pleasant surprise....

  16. #16
    We'll see what happens with him, I'm not so sure hes going to start week 1 as I think they may bring in someone.


    But if you want to see a negative slant, check Cimini's article on this situation. He talks about how Howard was eating himself off the team by gaining 20 pounds, but he lost it by camp, then says how if Howard does solid that this was unexpected and would be complete luck. The Jets didn't view Howard as a possible RT starter, they gambled on Hunter turning it around with Sparano.

    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/stor...r-right-tackle

  17. #17
    I would be much more encouraged if Howard showed up to OTA's ripped and in great shape. That would mean he's been making the most of his opportunity getting ready the past 2 years. Being a fat slob & almost getting let go is a not good.

    Let's see how he does in the next two preseason games.

  18. #18
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,308
    ... love the fact that he's being given a chance ...

    ... make the most of it howard! ...









    l_j_r

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    I would be much more encouraged if Howard showed up to OTA's ripped and in great shape. That would mean he's been making the most of his opportunity getting ready the past 2 years. Being a fat slob & almost getting let go is a not good.

    Let's see how he does in the next two preseason games.
    I read this morning that he came in this year 30 lbs lighter....did he show up to OTAs out of shape?

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... love the fact that he's being given a chance ...

    ... make the most of it howard! ...

    l_j_r
    +1

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us