Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Austin Howard Facts

While I hope Howard does well, I highly doubt T-Rex believe he's our solution at RT. We'll most likely be shopping come cutdown day.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    While I hope Howard does well, I highly doubt T-Rex believe he's our solution at RT. We'll most likely be shopping come cutdown day.
    How can we not? If Howard was the answer, he would have been the starter at some point in training camp.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Here are some facts about Austin Howard from the 2010 Pro Football Weekly
    Draft Guide:

- Went to Northern Iowa

- Was a TE when he enrolled

- He was a medical redshirt in 2005. Played TE in 2006 & 2007

- He outgrew TE and was converted to OT in 2008. Only played OT for two
    years in college which probably led to him not being drafted

Here's their summary on him:

Converted tight end who added nearly 50 pounds in his final two years. Is
    still growing into his body and has not developed muscle memory to carry
    the weight. A developmental prospect who will require several years in the
    weight room before he's ready.
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    SI's(Tony Pauline's) pre-draft scouting report

Biography: Three-year starter who broke in with the first team as a tight end in 2007, All-Conference selection the past two years.

Positives: Big, athletic blocker with a good degree of upside. Blocks with a wide base, keeps his feet moving nicely adjusts to pick up blitzes thrown by the opposition. Displays good movement skills, effective on the second level, and can hit a moving target. Plays with a large degree of quickness. He?s a solid position blocker and easily controls opponents once engaged the point of attack, makes solid use of angles and body positioning.

Negatives: He gets lazy with his hands at times and does not stick them into defenders.. Does not finish blocks and tends to fall off defenders. Must improve his overall body strength.

Analysis: Howard has taken to the tackle position since moving there his junior season. He possesses an NFL body and is a solid long term developmental prospect who should be stashed on a team?s practice squad. Has the build to be used on the right side, yet his athleticism and movement skills will also give him an opportunity at left tackle.

Projection: FA

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/16834.html
    LT

2008 Season Second team All-Missouri Valley at left tackle.

2007 Season Started all 13 games at tight end … used as more of a blocker than a downfield receiver … hauled in five passes for 38 yards and a touchdown on the season … caught his first collegiate pass for seven yards in UNI's 24-13 win at Iowa State (9/8) … caught a career-high two passes for 20 yards in a 42-3 win at Western Illinois (10/20) … nabbed his first collegiate touchdown pass on a four-yard toss from Eric Sanders in the fourth quarter of UNI's FCS playoff quarterfinal game against Delaware (12/1).

2006 Season
    Saw action in 10 games … drew two starting assignments against Indiana State (10/14) and against Western Illinois (10/28) when the Panthers began the game with a two-tight end alignment … did not record a statistic as he was used mostly in a blocking role.

2005 Season
    Redshirted.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...orical/1246788
    Thanks for posting Gents ... good stuff. I read somewhere several weeks ago that he might be better suited to left tackle long term, I have no clue as the whether that opinion has any credence.

Agreed, because they were so reluctant to make this switch, methinks he was too inconsistent/green at this point for Rex to make the switch.

Howard now has a rare opportunity to seize the job; front office can then look for a back-up tackle rather than putting someone else's roster cut in there as starter.

They are still going to have to scheme help for this kid who will no doubt face Mario Williams on just about every snap. Yikes!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    They are still going to have to scheme help for this kid who will no doubt face Mario Williams on just about every snap. Yikes!
    So true, ironically Hunter may be in there as an extra blocker

Quote Originally Posted by jetlifer View Post
    I think we should play quite a bit of 6 OLineman against the Bills. They have a good pass rush with dareus, williams and mark anderson and a decent secondary, although gilmore is a rookie. However their LBs are not great and I think they are pretty succeptible against the run. They also have limited depth on the Dline. Given that the weather will probably be warm, and its the first game, its a good opportunity for us to wear down their defensive line and force them to use reserves.

Rex showed last year that we can stop the bills offense, even with jackson and spiller healthy, so I dont think the bills should put up more then 14 pts, making this a close game.

I still think the clear example of schottys ineptitude was not using a 6 man line vs the giants last year. They struggled vs the run, had a great rush, and it would have at least forced THEM to make a counter strategy move. This situation IMO is similar and should force the bills into a secondary strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I think we should play quite a bit of 6 OLineman against the Bills. They have a good pass rush with dareus, williams and mark anderson and a decent secondary, although gilmore is a rookie. However their LBs are not great and I think they are pretty succeptible against the run. They also have limited depth on the Dline. Given that the weather will probably be warm, and its the first game, its a good opportunity for us to wear down their defensive line and force them to use reserves.

Rex showed last year that we can stop the bills offense, even with jackson and spiller healthy, so I dont think the bills should put up more then 14 pts, making this a close game.

I still think the clear example of schottys ineptitude was not using a 6 man line vs the giants last year. They struggled vs the run, had a great rush, and it would have at least forced THEM to make a counter strategy move. This situation IMO is similar and should force the bills into a secondary strategy.
    I agree. Hopefully, the Jets show some continuity and scoring ability on offense Sunday night to boost confidence.

While I hope Howard does well, I highly doubt T-Rex believe he's our solution at RT. We'll be shopping come cutdown day.
    fixed...But Tanny does this every year during cutdown weekend..i.e. Dixon, Turner, Schlauderaff, Jarron Gilbert etc...

But I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a move for a RT after the week 3 preseason games are over...

fixed...But Tanny does this every year during cutdown weekend..i.e. Dixon, Turner, Schlauderaff, Jarron Gilbert etc...

But I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a move for a RT after the week 3 preseason games are over...
    Wish this dude the best and hope he takes the opportunity with both hands and claims the starting spot

Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    So true, ironically Hunter may be in there as an extra blocker
    hahaha ... Hunter + Howard = our RT

Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    What if he is worse than hunter

Then when they put hunter back in the FO will look like geniuses
    is that even possible ?

looking at the 2 preseason games, Cinci when Howard started and NYG when Hunter started... the pressure in Cinci was blitz pressure where the line picked up all rushers it could and it was up to the backs and Mark to make a move. the pressure in NYG was hunter losing individual matchups. Long story short I think Howard is better than Hunter and I don't think further moves are afoot.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    looking at the 2 preseason games, Cinci when Howard started and NYG when Hunter started... the pressure in Cinci was blitz pressure where the line picked up all rushers it could and it was up to the backs and Mark to make a move. the pressure in NYG was hunter losing individual matchups. Long story short I think Howard is better than Hunter and I don't think further moves are afoot.
    The bengals have a better front 7 then given credit for and were pressuring rodgers a lot last night....only 1 sack, but he was able to run against their blitzes and finished with 50+ yards rushing.

I hope sanchez does scrmable a bit more this year if faced with blitz pressure....he isnt vick, but he is far from a statue back there.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I read this morning that he came in this year 30 lbs lighter....did he show up to OTAs out of shape?
    from the interwebs:

Howard showed up to OTA’s 20 pounds overweight. Rex wasn’t too pleased, so Howard spent his time off in June/July working out non-stop to get in shape. When he got to Cortland, he was back in shape and he got his weight under control (under 340lbs.).

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    from the interwebs:

Howard showed up to OTA’s 20 pounds overweight. Rex wasn’t too pleased, so Howard spent his time off in June/July working out non-stop to get in shape. When he got to Cortland, he was back in shape and he got his weight under control (under 340lbs.).
    Nice, thanks.

Im sure its hard for a big guy like him, but knowing the situation he is in and having a legit shot in the NFL, you would think he could have been in shape for OTAs.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    How can we not? If Howard was the answer, he would have been the starter at some point in training camp.
    I'm not sure this is accurate. For some reason, the entire Jets' organization has had irrational faith in Hunter. He was going to be given every chance to succeed.

The Giant game was just too much to overlook.

I think Howard's size and experience suggested he'd be a better backup LT as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    hahaha ... Hunter + Howard = our RT
    Like Master-Blaster!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    In fairness though, Howard could have gotten spanked by Justin Tuck just as easily. While Hunter failed miserably, on more than one of those plays, Hunter was left out on a complete island where Tuck had every move available to him. We have no way of knowing, of course, but its very possible that Howard would have looked just as bad.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I'm not sure this is accurate. For some reason, the entire Jets' organization has had irrational faith in Hunter. He was going to be given every chance to succeed.

The Giant game was just too much to overlook.
    The FO had a 2.5 million reasons why to have irrational faith in Hunter.

But when the guy is so bad he trends nationally top 10 on twitter (twice now in one week) they have to suck it up, and spin the fact that they were flat out wrong.