Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Austin Howard Facts

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    The FO had a 2.5 million reasons why to have irrational faith in Hunter.

But when the guy is so bad he trends nationally top 10 on twitter (twice now in one week) they have to suck it up, and spin the fact that they were flat out wrong.
    Benched for a missed practice.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    In fairness though, Howard could have gotten spanked by Justin Tuck just as easily. While Hunter failed miserably, on more than one of those plays, Hunter was left out on a complete island where Tuck had every move available to him. We have no way of knowing, of course, but its very possible that Howard would have looked just as bad.
    The problem is not so much that Hunter got beat, most OL in a one-on-one with a premiere pass-rusher will eventually get beat.

it's HOW Hunter got beat that was the bigger issue. as a tackle you can't get beat to the inside; its OK if your assignment is creating pressure as long as you keep him on the outside to give the QB a clean pocket and room to step up. But Hunter seemingly ALWAYS gets beat inside, giving his man a free lane to get to the QB.

this happened throughout last year and happened again vs the Giants. On one of the JPP sacks pressure came first from the left but Brick was able to keep his man (Tuck?) outside. Mark felt the pressure coming from the left and stepped up in the pocket to buy time, but JPP had just tossed Hunter to the side and was running unabated to engulf Sanchez.

Hall Of Fame
    Austin Howard interview...

On if he has spoken to Wayne Hunter…

I talk to Wayne everyday and he is still teaching me up certain things and I’m still learning from him, it is just something we do we’ve got to get through.

On if he is ready to be a starter…

I think that Coach Guge (DeGuglielmo) and Coach Sparano and our whole offensive staff have done an amazing job of making sure that every single one of us is prepared to go out there and play a game, whether that is a first string guy, second string guy or third string guy, we have an offense where we all know we have to get better and learn in the classroom and go back on the field and continue to learn there as well.

On if the coach’s disappointment in his offseason motivated him to lose weight …

I knew that he wanted me to drop the weight. It was a huge motivational thing. I knew that it could possibly be a huge opportunity for me and fortunately for me while I was in the offseason my girlfriend, Larissa, was going through the same process with me. She was pretty much my coach with meals, the extra workouts and all of that stuff. It was a great opportunity for me to show the coaches that I really want to be here and I really want to play.

On his diet…

It was a few different things. Just four or five small meals a day, working out, mountain climbing actually, and some mountain biking, a lot of stuff. It was good.

On how many pounds he has lost…

Since the beginning of OTA’s, it has been around 27 to 30 pounds.

On how losing weight has helped him…

I feel good. It has made me a little bit more agile. A lot of pressure has been taken off, being able to switch from the left side to the right side. It is just that much easier.

On his reaction to being named a starter…

Right now, it is the preseason. As a stand-in, I get to go out there and do as I am asked to and just focus on Carolina. Whenever they ask me to play, I will be ready at all times. Like I said, our coaching staff has done an amazing job at making sure we are all prepared and ready to go.

On if he is a starter on a “trial” basis…

I view it as an opportunity and I view it as something I have to take advantage of and try my best and continue to get better.

On if he is looking ahead to the regular season…

Not at all. I haven’t even looked at tomorrow yet. We still have to get through today’s film and learn today and focus on tomorrow. I have not looked anywhere further than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    The problem is not so much that Hunter got beat, most OL in a one-on-one with a premiere pass-rusher will eventually get beat.

it's HOW Hunter got beat that was the bigger issue. as a tackle you can't get beat to the inside; its OK if your assignment is creating pressure as long as you keep him on the outside to give the QB a clean pocket and room to step up. But Hunter seemingly ALWAYS gets beat inside, giving his man a free lane to get to the QB.

this happened throughout last year and happened again vs the Giants. On one of the JPP sacks pressure came first from the left but Brick was able to keep his man (Tuck?) outside. Mark felt the pressure coming from the left and stepped up in the pocket to buy time, but JPP had just tossed Hunter to the side and was running unabated to engulf Sanchez.
    and he's not a factor in the running game either. if he were slow footed but could move the pile, at least he'd have some value. but he's not getting the push either and it's clear from hearing his interviews that his confidence is shot, he does not believe he should be starting and thus he's going to play even worse.