Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten shot, 2 dead near New York's Empire State Building

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Several shot near Empire State Building

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/08/24...tate-building/

A gunman believed to be responsible in the shooting of at least five people in front of the Empire State Building in New York was shot and killed by police, New York police said.

Authorities converged on the building around 9 a.m. after reports of gunfire.

A witness told CNN's Rose Arce that the gunman ran after and shot a man in the head. An unarmed guard chased the gunman away, the witness told Arce.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post

A witness told CNN's Rose Arce .
    Must have been fun for her growing up.

Hall Of Fame
    nah... couldn't be. there's no guns in NYC. They have gun control there.

This shlt has to stop.

Hall Of Fame
    This guy should have gone on a rampage in Norway. That crazy dude that shot up a kids summer camp got 21 years with a minimum of ten. And I thought Vermont was run by suckers.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    nah... couldn't be. there's no guns in NYC. They have gun control there.
    Its too bad you couldn't have been there to stop it. After you put your joint down, you could have picked off the bad guys with your .38.

Why don't we save the snide political comments for the proper forum, as opposed to in a thread about people being killed?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I heard he was looking for Lance Armstrong.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy® View Post
    This guy should have gone on a rampage in Norway. That crazy dude that shot up a kids summer camp got 21 years with a minimum of ten. And I thought Vermont was run by suckers.
    i couldn't believe it when i read this guy who killed 77 got 10-21 years. but then i read that in norway when your sentence is up they review your status and can just keep adding on to your sentence if they feel you are still a threat. so, i hope this guy never is released.

In other news:

19 People Shot in Overnight Shootings Across Chicago

By Peter Nickeas

Chicago Tribune reporter

4:06 a.m. CDT, August 24, 2012
    Nineteen people were shot across the South and West sides from Thursday evening through early Friday morning -- 13 of them wounded over a 30-minute period, authorities say.
    In Chicago, they call this a normal Thursday.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    People have to start treating people better.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    In other news:

In Chicago, they call this a normal Thursday.
    That's insightful. Danke.

If we all attempt to shape and conduct ourselves in a productive and a courtious way towards our fellow man, every day, we create our own reality
    as heaven on Earth....

Hall Of Fame

Ten shot, 2 dead near New York's Empire State Building

Ten shot, 2 dead near New York's Empire State Building

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...87N0M220120824

One of the dead was the shooter, the source said, adding there was no apparent link to terrorism.

A white tarp covered what was believed to be a body in front of the entrance to the office building but police declined to confirm if it was the shooter.

A police source said the assailant, who worked nearby, was believed to be a disgruntled employee who fired at a person against whom he had a grievance. The nature of the grievance was not known.

"I heard the gunshots. It was like pop, pop, pop. It was definitely in a bunch," said Dahlia Anister, 33, who works at an office near the 102-story Empire State Building.

The shooting started shortly after 9 a.m. on the busy sidewalk on Fifth Avenue outside the Midtown Manhattan building.

It came at the height of the tourist season outside one of New York City's most popular attractions. Police cordoned off the area around the building, one of the most recognizable in the world.

The Empire State Building is two blocks from Pennsylvania Station and eight blocks from Grand Central Terminal, two of New York City's main transportation hubs.

Mail courier James Bolden, 31, said he saw a "guy laying on the (sidewalk), bleeding from the neck and barely breathing."

"Everybody was crowded around him taking pictures and video, and security guys were yelling everybody to get back, and give him space. He was barely breathing," Bolden said.

One witness said she saw a woman who was shot in the foot and another woman being taken away in an ambulance.

"I was walking down 33rd (Street) and there's a dead guy. I just saw pools of blood. He was laying down and the was blood pooling (around him)," Justin Kellis, 35, who works nearby.

The United States has had two other mass shooting cases this summer. On July 20, a gunman opened fire at a midnight screening of the Batman film "The Dark Knight Rises" in Aurora, Colorado, killing 12 people and wounding 58.

On August 5, a gunman killed six people and critically wounded three at a Sikh temple outside Milwaukee before police shot him dead in an attack authorities treated as an act of domestic terrorism.

This was the second high-profile shooting incident in two weeks in New York's tourist-heavy midtown Manhattan. On August 12 New York City police shot and killed a knife-wielding suspect as he sought to evade them through Saturday afternoon traffic and pedestrians in Times Square.

The Empire State Building was the world's tallest building for 40 years from its completion in 1931 until construction of the World Trade Center. Following the September 11, 2001, attacks, it was again the tallest building in the city, though was recently surpassed by a new tower under construction at the World Trade Center.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Its too bad you couldn't have been there to stop it. After you put your joint down, you could have picked off the bad guys with your .38.

Why don't we save the snide political comments for the proper forum, as opposed to in a thread about people being killed?
    got it. I'll stop.

unlike threads that go on for pages about ZOMG WE GOT TO BAN ALL GUNS!!!!!

of course, no bats an eye to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    This shlt has to stop.
    It won't. These people are mentally disturbed.

Expect more. I hope I'm wrong, but I believe this is just the beginning.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    got it. I'll stop.

unlike threads that go on for pages about ZOMG WE GOT TO BAN ALL GUNS!!!!!

of course, no bats an eye to that.
    to be fair, I usually try to stop those too. but if I jumped the gun (which I perhaps did), I apologize.

If I can throw you back some sh!t, I should probably refrain from the lecture.

So you get one more....

Hall Of Fame
    to be fair, I usually try to stop those too. but if I jumped the gun (which I perhaps did), I apologize.

So you get one more....
    fair enough. I'll hold my peace.

for the record though, my .38 is to save my own ass, not be Mr. Superhero.

I actually refer to it as "my five extra chances".

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    That's insightful. Danke.
    Bitte.

I aim to please.

Or troll.

Either way.

Veteran

So you get one more....
    I'm not sure of the rules regarding this, so for future reference how is this handled?
    1) wait for the (inevitable in most cases) gun control diatribe to post.
    2) Refrain from pro 2nd amendment views all together.
    3) start another thread using this situation as the basis for opening the discussions.
    4) Any statement is fine if not rude, snide or condescending.
    I'm not trying to be a pain, but I often have gut reactions such as this, and I don't want to get in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    I'm not sure of the rules regarding this, so for future reference how is this handled?
    1) wait for the (inevitable in most cases) gun control diatribe to post.
    2) Refrain from pro 2nd amendment views all together.
    3) start another thread using this situation as the basis for opening the discussions.
    4) Any statement is fine if not rude, snide or condescending.
    I'm not trying to be a pain, but I often have gut reactions such as this, and I don't want to get in trouble.
    Honestly, these thread don't belong in the Hamper. There is simply noc hance they would remain apolitical for long.

They should be created in Poli-Sci IMO.