Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ten shot, 2 dead near New York's Empire State Building

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Honestly, these thread don't belong in the Hamper. There is simply noc hance they would remain apolitical for long.

They should be created in Poli-Sci IMO.
    +1....its actually called Politics and World Events. I'd classify a shooting as a world event.

And its literally impossible to keep a thread like this apolitical as its an inherently political issue - just touchier when people have just died.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    In other news:

In Chicago, they call this a normal Thursday.
    Well I'm certainly not going to feel ashamed that NY has less gun violence than other major cities, but are you saying that the shooting today was the only one in NY in a day, or was your entire post just a non-sequitur?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    Well I'm certainly not going to feel ashamed that NY has less gun violence than other major cities, but are you saying that the shooting today was the only one in NY in a day, or was your entire post just a non-sequitur?
    My post was the usual reminder that some folks only seem to care about shootings when they involve well-to-do white (especially blond women)victims in unusual circusmatnces or wealthy areas.

The reality is that shooting/gun violence is a daily occurance and far too commonplace in our large cities, but the media coverage (and the general populations caring) about these "normal" shooting is minimal at best.

We get worked up enough to have an entire thread debate over two folks shot at the Empire State Building.

We ignore the 19 people shot in Chicago on a "normal" day. Same would go for New York and other large cities like DC.

We get worked up over gun control, and forget or ignore the number of shootings and deaths in the strictest places in America, like Chicago, New York and DC.

You tell me why that is. Seems the common denominator is that if the victims are poor, black or young, their shootings simply don't matter.

There was nothin Non-Sequiter about my post Isi.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    +1....its actually called Politics and World Events. I'd classify a shooting as a world event.

And its literally impossible to keep a thread like this apolitical as its an inherently political issue - just touchier when people have just died.
    So the answer would be 3, in the poli-sci forum?.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    So the answer would be 3, in the poli-sci forum?.
    Yup - its "if you want to talk gun control, do it in the poli forum + these type of threads should probably be started there anyway, but I'm not inclined to make that overarching decision right now, so I'll leave it here for the time being" type thing.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Yup - its "if you want to talk gun control, do it in the poli forum + these type of threads should probably be started there anyway, but I'm not inclined to make that overarching decision right now, so I'll leave it here for the time being" type thing.
    Cool thanks, funny thing is I never looked at the forum the post is located in, only the title. I'll try to keep your advice in mind.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Cool thanks, funny thing is I never looked at the forum the post is located in, only the title. I'll try to keep your advice in mind.
    You got it - from one Craig to another.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My post was the usual reminder that some folks only seem to care about shootings when they involve well-to-do white (especially blond women)victims in unusual circusmatnces or wealthy areas.

The reality is that shooting/gun violence is a daily occurance and far too commonplace in our large cities, but the media coverage (and the general populations caring) about these "normal" shooting is minimal at best.

We get worked up enough to have an entire thread debate over two folks shot at the Empire State Building.

We ignore the 19 people shot in Chicago on a "normal" day. Same would go for New York and other large cities like DC.

We get worked up over gun control, and forget or ignore the number of shootings and deaths in the strictest places in America, like Chicago, New York and DC.

You tell me why that is. Seems the common denominator is that if the victims are poor, black or young, their shootings simply don't matter.

The ny papers have story's on shootings that occur in the hood every day. I don't get your argument. It's only naturall that people pay more attention to a shooting in frOnt of one of the most recognizable locations in the world that they would to gang and drug dealers shooting each other.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    I don't get your argument. It's only naturall that people pay more attention to a shooting in frOnt of one of the most recognizable locations in the world that they would to gang and drug dealers shooting each other.
    Thank you for providing an example of my point.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for providing an example of my point.
    I feel like we are arguing Casey Anthony all over again,lol.... Whatever man, your white guilt, just let it go.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    In other news....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,0,49779.story

19 people shot in overnight shootings across Chicago

By Peter Nickeas Tribune reporter

9:30 a.m. CDT, August 24, 2012

Nineteen people were shot across the South and West sides from Thursday evening through early Friday morning -- 13 of them wounded over a 30-minute period, authorities say.

The overnight shootings peaked between 9:15 p.m. and 9:45 p.m. That's when eight people, many of them teens, were shot at 79th Street and Essex Avenue about 9:30 p.m.

Then two men were wounded in the Ida B. Wells / Darrow Homes complex at about 9:25 p.m., police said. The men, 27 and 33, were shot in the 600 block of East 37th Street and taken to the University of Chicago Hospitals, police said. The younger man was shot in the head and the other in the right arm, Gaines said.

Around the same time, two other men were wounded in the arms in a drive-by shooting in the 2900 block of West 39th Place in the Brighton Park neighborhood.

About 15 minutes later, a 24-year-old man was shot in the leg and taken to Jackson Park Hospital from the 7200 block of South Jeffery Boulevard, Gaines said. He was treated and released. The man told police he was talking on his phone when he heard a single shot and realized he was wounded.

Earlier Thursday evening, four men were wounded in a shooting in the Little Village neighborhood about 5:20 p.m. Thursday, police said.

They were walking in the 3200 block of South Kedzie Avenue when at least one person inside a vehicle with three others opened fire, police said, hitting the group. Three 19-year-olds and a 22-year-old were wounded.

Just after midnight, a 17-year-old was shot in the back and taken to Stroger Hospital in serious condition, police said. He was walking in the 7100 block of South Vincennes Avenue in the Englewood neighborhood when someone inside a passing car opened fire, police said.

Another 17-year-old was shot after 1:30 a.m. Friday in the 3500 block of West Grenshaw Street in the Homan Square neighborhood. He's in good condition at Mount Sinai Hospital. Someone walked to him and started shooting, police said.

pnickeas@tribune.com

Twitter: @peternickeas
    Seriously... gun bans work. Ask Rahm....

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I feel like we are arguing Casey Anthony all over again,lol.... Whatever man, your white guilt, just let it go.
    /chuckle

Why would I have "white guilt" brofist?

My people were Slaves, we didn't own Slaves.

As the Washington Post comercial goes, if you don't get it, you don't get it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    Seriously... gun bans work. Ask Rahm....
    Or Colorado theater goers?

Oh yeah. That's right....

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Or Colorado theater goers?

Oh yeah. That's right....
    What's right?

If a nut wants a gun, he will get a gun.

anti gun laws = anti drug laws...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    /chuckle

Why would I have "white guilt" brofist?

My people were Slaves, we didn't own Slaves.

As the Washington Post comercial goes, if you don't get it, you don't get it.
    And I guess you don't get why random acts of violence in front of national icons are inherently more compelling than drug dealers shooting each other.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

I have no idea what nationality the short or victim was, I did hear that they were in the accessories trade (common in the ESB these days) which could literally make them almost any nationality. I think the fact that does were fired and people were killed in a public place, a landmark, a tourist trap, and the relative rarity of that may have something to do with the reaction here. But I'm away, I have no idea what coverage it received otherwise.
    Last edited by isired; 08-24-2012 at 05:49 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    And I guess you don't get why random acts of violence in front of national icons are inherently more compelling than drug dealers shooting each other.
    I get exactly why it's more compelling for some folks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I get exactly why it's more compelling for some folks.
    Lol ok whatever man. Continue to use every news story regarding violence to advocate that we pay more attention to stories involving those lower on the socio-economic scale.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    I have no idea what nationality the short or victim was, I did hear that they were in the accessories trade (common in the ESB these days) which could literally make them almost any nationality. I think the fact that does were fired and people were killed in a public place, a landmark, a tourist trap, and the relative rarity of that may have something to do with the reaction here. But I'm away, I have no idea what coverage it received otherwise.
    +1

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    What's right?

If a nut wants a gun, he will get a gun.

anti gun laws = anti drug laws...
    This guy had a pistol and there was one fatality.

The guy in Colorado had an assault rifle, and other weapons/armor, and twelve people are dead.