Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Powell be #2 Back?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I find it hilarious that last year everyone wanted Powell Cut, and this year they want him to be our starter.
    Yes you are right. I remember that also. This year most are looking for any chance they can get to dump on McKnight. I hope ALL Jets players do great! I dislike fickle fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    No, Greene doesn't suck.

He's just incredibly average.

He's the definition of one dimensional.

A solid inside runner but is totally useless as a receiver and offers no homerun ability at all.

He's best suited as a change of pace powerback, not a workhorse.

For a team that has spent the entire offseason preaching "Ground and Pound", we sure as hell don't have the look of a ground and pound team.
    no power blocking RT, no blocking TE, connor hasn't proven he's a great lead blocker, greene is incredibly average. only downfield threat is a rookie. qb still can't lead his guy on a slant route. what an offense.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan789 View Post
    It looks like McKnight's going into the season as the #2 depth chart-wise but you think Powell could end up overtaking him and finishing with more carries than McKnight?
    it looks like the opposite...It's pretty clear to me that Powell is #2 on the depth chart and McKnight will be used in certain pass situations and stretch plays.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    no power blocking RT, no blocking TE, connor hasn't proven he's a great lead blocker, greene is incredibly average. only downfield threat is a rookie. qb still can't lead his guy on a slant route. what an offense.
    you forgot to mention that the LT is incredibly average in the run game too. I do feel the same way as you about Conner. I fail to see what he has done for us to merit a job. I also agree about the QB.

All League
    Powell had a slow start to his career at Louisville, before figuring it out and coming on strong. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's about to all come together for him at the NFL level as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    you forgot to mention that the LT is incredibly average in the run game too. I do feel the same way as you about Conner. I fail to see what he has done for us to merit a job. I also agree about the QB.
    they say they want to be a power running team, and i believe them. they just haven't assembled any personnel pieces necessary to do it. but they've done an admirable job in revamping the speed/talent of the defense.

it's been written here this week - and i'll write it here again - i think the team is actually constructed to be a more effective passing team, if the RT is even average. hill, holmes, keller and kerley can move the chains. throw in mcknight with his speed. if hill is the real deal, then this group, collectively, as weapons is actually better than all the blockers they have. they really have ignored the RT/TE positions, yet they say they want to be a power running team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Powell had a slow start to his career at Louisville, before figuring it out and coming on strong. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's about to all come together for him at the NFL level as well.
    I don't buy that at all.

It's been proven time and time again that RB's make the easiest transition to the pro game.

Either you have it, or you don't.

I don't buy that at all.

It's been proven time and time again that RB's make the easiest transition to the pro game.

even with mcknight last year and his issues you could tell he had enough speed to be a factor on 3rd downs.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I can see it now.

The OL blows open a hole Sunday night and Powell scampers for 20 yards.

This board will explode with Bilal Powell should be #1!!!!
    Kind of like you did with the guys you liked.

Shocking how this works.

Jets Insider VIP
    even with mcknight last year and his issues you could tell he had enough speed to be a factor on 3rd downs.
    Exactly

At least McKnight has shown flashes. At least he has shown that he can turn the corner and can make some plays in the open field.

We've seen dick from Powell when it actually matters.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't buy that at all.

True. When your career is basically over at 29 years old, you shouldnt have to wait 3 years for a RB to develop.

Jets Insider VIP
    i don't get it. against the giants, powell had a 3.5 yard average and greene had a 3.3 yard average, each with a long run of 8. how does powell suck but greene is ok? or does greene suck too?
    Which means Powell's other 5 runs yielded an average of 2.6.

Greene is average. Powell is plain JAG.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    True. When your career is basically over at 29 years old, you shouldnt have to wait 3 years for a RB to develop.
    True, but it happens so why just say it cant here?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    You DO realize that when Powell "came on strong," it was his senior season and Louisville had a weak schedule in which they never played a Top 25 team?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    Kind of like you did with the guys you liked.

Shocking how this works.
    Like who for instance?

The only maligned players I have strongly backed are Edwards, Maybin and Baker (although Baker hasn't gotten the level of abuse here thrown at Edwards and Maybin).

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    True, but it happens so why just say it cant here?
    Why can't you ever admit or concede that any player on the New York Jets football team isn't good?

They suck when they leave though (Edwards). Right?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Like who for instance?

The only maligned players I have strongly backed are Edwards, Maybin and Baker (although Baker hasn't gotten the level of abuse here thrown at Edwards and Maybin).
    Those work.

And Baker, who I thought had a chance looks like a total JAG so far.

Point is you should get why instead of just arguing.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Why can't you ever admit or concede that any player on the New York Jets football team isn't good?

They suck when they leave though (Edwards). Right?
    Why can't you learn how to read?

I never said he was good or bad.

it has to be hard to debate when you're illiterate.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    For real, am I missing something? He has done nothing in preseason that resembles a starting RB.
    +17

I keep reading all of these good reports and consequently try to pay special attention to him in games and then.... nothing. Zero.

Seriously, he has been Gholston-like in the completeness of his invisibility so far. And let's be honest here, this aint the toughest RB depth chart in the league to climb right here.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan789 View Post
    It looks like McKnight's going into the season as the #2 depth chart-wise but you think Powell could end up overtaking him and finishing with more carries than McKnight?
    I hope so. McKnight has looked like sh*t so far during the preseason. He should take his football juggling on the road.

The Jets just need to give Bilal more opportunities/carries to see what he has. IMO, how could they possibly know what he's capable of. He's needs snaps with the starters.