Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzalez, Beckett, Crawford and Punto close to being traded to the Dodgers

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Gonzalez, Beckett, Crawford and Punto close to being traded to the Dodgers

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...it-sources-say

The Dodgers and Red Sox are closing in on a deal that would send Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto to Los Angeles, though a few hurdles remain before it's official, multiple baseball sources said Friday.

Pitcher Rubby De La Rosa will be headed back to Boston as the centerpiece of the deal, sources say. De La Rosa made his first major league appearance of the season Wednesday, having had Tommy John surgery about 13 months ago. Also included are first baseman James Loney and prospects Ivan De Jesus (infielder) and Jerry Sands (outfielder), according to sources, plus another top prospect that is still unknown.

Giving up Gonzalez would be a shocking change of direction for the Red Sox, who in December 2010 traded two of their top prospects -- first baseman Anthony Rizzo and pitcher Casey Kelly -- to acquire the first baseman. They then signed him to a seven-year, $154 million extension in April 2011.

But with the Red Sox essentially out of contention for a playoff spot and the Dodgers under new ownership, Los Angeles is aggressively making a strong bid to bolster its chances for this season and the future.

Beckett, a 10-and-5 player, has the right to refuse to go to L.A.

A Red Sox official, speaking on the condition of anonymity Thursday, insisted the Red Sox had no issues with Gonzalez on or off the field, but said the club was exploring all avenues to improve. Ridding itself of Gonzalez's salary might free up resources that would allow it to make significant improvements to a pitching staff that has significantly underperformed.

"I think something is happening, but I'm in a state of disbelief that it is," one baseball source said Friday.

Gonzalez was asked about the Dodgers rumors before Friday's game, where he was in the Red Sox lineup batting fifth.

"Waiver questions? I'm not talking about that," he said.

During his daily pregame news conference, Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine was asked about the situation.

"I have no thoughts at all," Valentine said. "I saw it scroll on the bottom of my TV."

Valentine said he had a conversation with general manager Ben Cherington earlier in the day, and Gonzalez was not mentioned.

"I talked to Ben this afternoon and there was no mention -- at all," Valentine said. "There wasn't a mention of 'who do you want?' There wasn't any conversation, so I believe it's nothing more than the standard operational of a guy gets claimed, it's a block, it's not a trade and life goes on."

Gonzalez leads the Red Sox in batting average (.300), RBIs (86), on-base percentage (.343) and hits (145) this season.

The Red Sox and Dodgers had broached a trade for Gonzalez at the July 31 trade deadline, but sources with both clubs insisted the talks never got beyond the preliminary stage

Wow, they (Bosox) are just getting rid of their big free agent acquisitions of the past few years. Maybe they're trying to copy the Tampa model instead of the Yankee model.

Can't get over how dumb this trade is for the Dodgers and how good it is for the Red Sox.

The Dodgers traded two good prospects (Webster, DelaRosa) and took on two of the worst contracts in the game (Crawford, Beckett) to get Adrian Gonazalez (who's having his worst season of his career, since leaving Texas in '05)

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 21st Amendment View Post
    Can't get over how dumb this trade is for the Dodgers and how good it is for the Red Sox.

The Dodgers traded two good prospects (Webster, DelaRosa) and took on two of the worst contracts in the game (Crawford, Beckett) to get Adrian Gonazalez (who's having his worst season of his career, since leaving Texas in '05)
    + 200,000,000

Horrible move for the Dodgers. They lose all payroll flexibility, take on 2 awful contracts, and one bad one. And they give up prospects to do this?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    + 200,000,000

Horrible move for the Dodgers. They lose all payroll flexibility, take on 2 awful contracts, and one bad one. And they give up prospects to do this?
    I guess they feel that Beckett and A Gonzalez will return to form in the NL in a new environment...A Gonzalez has prospered in the NL west(with the padres ).. The red sox must be dancing a happy dance, Crawford's salary too...holy crap...

Hall Of Fame
    Dodgers are destined for bankruptcy again.

How does MLB allow the Red Sox to get bailed out like this? It is like they are getting a complete do over plus 4 prospects.

Jets Insider VIP
    Wow are the Dodgers stupid

Maybe they'll take ARod too.

Red Sox just shed $260m dollars of payroll

wow LA just bought a world series here and I can't believe people think this is a bad trade for them. Kemp and Gonzo on the same team! LA not only adds a top bat but adds Crawford for next year. With Victorino and Blanton on a FA years those are nice replacements on the books IMO. Becket may be coming off a bad year but is still looks viable and is only 31. A few prospects for 2 guys under 30 that can still produce and a OK pitcher! They just made this a top 3 O next year and maybe the world series favorites with this trade. Their pitching is already better then the Yanks and now their batting is right there too. They haven't looked this good in decades.

Jets Insider VIP
    As a Dodgers fan, I hate hate hate this trade.

After two great deals (Ramirez and Victorino), a so-so deal (Blanton), they completely go off the deep end.

They desprately need another starter but this deal is going to kill them in the long run. I still think they could have won the Division as is.

Loney was goner anyway. And for good reason. But giving up two top pitching prospects in De La Rosa and Webster is lunacy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    wow LA just bought a world series here and I can't believe people think this is a bad trade for them. Kemp and Gonzo on the same team! LA not only adds a top bat but adds Crawford for next year. With Victorino and Blanton on a FA years those are nice replacements on the books IMO. Becket may be coming off a bad year but is still looks viable and is only 31. A few prospects for 2 guys under 30 that can still produce and a OK pitcher! They just made this a top 3 O next year and maybe the world series favorites with this trade. Their pitching is already better then the Yanks and now their batting is right there too. They haven't looked this good in decades.
    All four players the Dodgers acquired are 30 or older.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Lol! Are you being serious or is this sarcasm? I can't believe that LA would do this. That a **** ton of money for two overpaid players and one good player. In no way shape or form does this look good to La

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Will you still hate it if you win a ring this yr?

Hall Of Fame
    Beckett will be a good #2 or #3 in the NL.

I know LA isn't the same as NY or Boston with the baseball media but it is still LA. I don't think Gonzo is cut out for the larger markets.

I know there is a new luxury tax threshold with stiffer penalties in the new MLB CBA. The Dodgers have to have one of the largest payrolls going into next season. Either #1 or #2.

Hall Of Fame

Veteran
    I actually think the trade will work out for the Dodgers in terms of what they want out of it: getting to the postseason the next two seasons with a shot to win it all. Their payroll will go way up next year, but drops down in commitments after that. And, like the Yankees, they can afford it. They just spent 2 billion to buy the team, have the brand and the market, they'll be fine financially. I think Crawford will rebound nicely in a park where he can actually play some defense and run (whenever he is ready), and I think reports of Gonzalez's decline or any such thing are quite exaggerated. Beckett stinks, but he's moving to a great big park, so that will help.

The Sox, on the other hand, obviously come out with a real chance to start over, and somehow managed to not pay any extra money AND got usable, potentially very usable, parts in return. But, they have a ways to go and there aren't very many great free agents coming in the next two years. Grienke and Hamilton shouldn't interest them much. Swisher probably should.

It really goes to show you just how terrible that organization was, and with Luciano still there, I can't necessarily see it changing; Bobby V. should get another season now too, I imagine. It's also nice to see the Boston tradition continue, Theo is now looked at with disgust, and Gonzalez is being run out of town and blamed for everything.

Hall Of Fame
    Before Sep. 2011 Gonzo was a hero up there. I never thought I would see Boston miss the playoffs 3 years in a row. But their fans are fair weather even though they sell the place out for a decade straight.

I hear some BoSox fans wanting Josh Hamilton. I wonder how a recovering addict will handle Boston? Not sure that is a good place for him.

They need Lester to get his career back on track. He has been the biggest culprit. That and the bullpen. I can't figure out what happened to Bard.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    What the hell is Punto using? Photo quality hasn't been that bad on camera phones for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Damn. lol Makes me feel old because I know Ganzo was born in 82. Crawford is also still young though. Both could have a lot of good years left in them. I refuse to call 30 old for baseball. 34, 35 is more the age cut off IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Before Sep. 2011 Gonzo was a hero up there. I never thought I would see Boston miss the playoffs 3 years in a row. But their fans are fair weather even though they sell the place out for a decade straight.

I hear some BoSox fans wanting Josh Hamilton. I wonder how a recovering addict will handle Boston? Not sure that is a good place for him.

They need Lester to get his career back on track. He has been the biggest culprit. That and the bullpen. I can't figure out what happened to Bard.
    Josh is a year older then Gonzo and is going to get around the same money. Boston would be pretty stupid if they just did that for Josh.