Thread: The Real Key to Fixing the Economy...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

The Real Key to Fixing the Economy...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the only way to stimulate the private sector tax breaks?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    It was a funny gif I found in a funny gif thread.

Not the start of a policy debate.

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    The Real Key To Fixing The Economy

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Legalize and tax marijuana and prostitution.

Budget surplus in 15 minutes.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post

And a free'er, more mellow, sex-satisified culture with a well-regulated pot and pus*y industry to boot, meaning far less crime and wasted effort/tax dollars.

What a horrible idea.

How dare you, sinner. Burn. BURN!

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like

With the government doing all it can to kill off tobacco companies, it wouldn't make sense to legalize marijuana.

Prostitution on the other hand...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    With the government doing all it can to kill off tobacco companies, it wouldn't make sense to legalize marijuana.

The only entity that can and will ever kill off the tobacco industry is the free market. And it is the only entity that should.

Not exactly sure how you equate marijuana to tobacco, though, other than they fact that both are plants that can be smoked. That's pretty much where the similarities end.

Let me guess... you've never smoked either one?

All Pro
    Annoying Chowd

Post Thanks / Like
    The only entity that can and will ever kill off the tobacco industry is the free market. And it is the only entity that should.

Not exactly sure how you equate marijuana to tobacco, though, other than they fact that both are plants that can be smoked. That's pretty much where the similarities end.

Let me guess... you've never smoked either one?
    The government is trying to kill off tobacco companies through excessive taxation, free market be damned. I was comparing tobacco to marijuana as both are health risks. I'm sure marijuana can't be any better for a person's lungs than tobacco.

And yes, I have smoked both. Cigarettes for 7 years... started at 15 and quit when I was 22....and marijuana occasionally as a teen. Never really got into marijuana that much, as it never really did any thing for me...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

The Secret Service guys will be wanting raises then.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    Nope. Regulatory reform, tort reform and energy policy are the three top things. Revenue neutral corporate tax reform would be great as well. Just opening up the Alaskan and offshore oil fields for drilling could create millions of high paying jobs and millions more support jobs. I sell machinery to cabinet makers and carpenters that serve the Canadian Oil field workers. Those areas are booming. We can have that in America. Every 120K a year oil field worker spends that money on home improvements, dinners out, cars, etc. There is a trickle down effect.

Tort Reform - They need to enact loser pays laws in every state. Frivolous lawsuits should be punished until they are eliminated. There is no rational argument against this. None. These things crush small businesses. It sucks the entrepreneurial spirit out of a person. Trust me I've dealt with it first hand.

Regulatory Reform - We need responsible regulation. I'm all for it. But if anyone knew the amount of garbage being spewed at business owners that makes no sense whatsoever they would be concerned as I am. Regulation for the sake of regulation is not a good thing for a struggling economy. Politicians rarely consider the consequences of the laws they pass. They tend to look at positive intentions rather then results. That needs to change.

There is a reason that a recent poll of small business owners showed 21% Obama to 64% for Romney.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Nope. Regulatory reform, tort reform and energy policy are the three top things. Revenue neutral corporate tax reform would be great as well. Just opening up the Alaskan and offshore oil fields for drilling could create millions of high paying jobs and millions more support jobs. I sell machinery to cabinet makers and carpenters that serve the Canadian Oil field workers. Those areas are booming. We can have that in America. Every 120K a year oil field worker spends that money on home improvements, dinners out, cars, etc. There is a trickle down effect.
    I don't know enough about those specific offshore oil fields to make a judgment. Are they protected wildlife reserves? What would be the impact on the environment and how much oil do we believe is under there?

We have to weigh those concerns against each other and make a judgment call. I'm not for just drilling wherever there is oil regardless of the situation.

Tort Reform - They need to enact loser pays laws in every state. Frivolous lawsuits should be punished until they are eliminated. There is no rational argument against this. None. These things crush small businesses. It sucks the entrepreneurial spirit out of a person. Trust me I've dealt with it first hand.
    Tort reform for medical malpractice, I agree. The rest I'll defer to doggin and his expertise.

Regulatory Reform - We need responsible regulation. I'm all for it. But if anyone knew the amount of garbage being spewed at business owners that makes no sense whatsoever they would be concerned as I am. Regulation for the sake of regulation is not a good thing for a struggling economy. Politicians rarely consider the consequences of the laws they pass. They tend to look at positive intentions rather then results. That needs to change.
    Less regulation for small business, I'm cool with. Obamacare does not help, I'm aware of that, it'd be far better if we had a public option/national healthcare system that removed the responsibility of healthcare from the employer - focus on your business, and taxes will be taken out of everyone's income for a nationally provided healthcare insurance.

But the real disconnect, I see, is the difference between the views of regulation from both sides. When I say, as a liberal, that I want stricter regulations, I'm talking about Wall Street. When you say, as a conservative, you want less regulation, you're always talking about small businesses.

We can do both at the same time.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The government is trying to kill off tobacco companies through excessive taxation, free market be damned. I was comparing tobacco to marijuana as both are health risks. I'm sure marijuana can't be any better for a person's lungs than tobacco.

And yes, I have smoked both. Cigarettes for 7 years... started at 15 and quit when I was 22....and marijuana occasionally as a teen. Never really got into marijuana that much, as it never really did any thing for me...
    I hate the cigarette tax, but I think Potato is dead right on legalizing/taxing Weed and Prostitution.

If I had my way... we'd use the taxes we collect from cigarettes, certain drugs we legalize (most of them, with the exception of perhaps Meth and Heroin) and prostitution to help fund a national healthcare system, in the mold Germany's system presently.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's take the original poster's argument 1 step farther down the chain of logic?

Q: How do you stimulate a private sector that has too much of a debt overhang?

A: Less private debt, AKA less spurring of business activity by borrowing.

Neither candidate has a plan in action to make this happen. Both will let the Fed handle it with bond purchases. But this does little other than provide liquidity, while doing nothing to reduce the debt levels of the average American.

Under the present monetary system, the only way to "stimulate" is to create more private bank loans out of thin air (debt with no backing). So the only courseof action they have is to exacerbate the precise symptoms which are ailing us.

Fundamental reform of the monetary system is the answer. Neither candidate understands this, so the economy will continue to worsen whether its Romney or Obama that gets elected.

Ron Paul only had half the answer. He wanted a full reserve banking solution, however he favors gold and silver, which history shows have been easily manipulated by private banks.
    Last edited by JetsCrazey; 08-29-2012 at 06:05 PM.