Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brad Smith

Brad Smith

I don't care what anyone says, we took a HUGE (talent) hit when this guy left. He just made a great play on ST against Pit. Please don't tell me we now have TT. He is not in Smith's league.

I wish he did not go to a division hated rival like Crappalo. He was one of my favorite Jets when he was here, he could do everything, and do it well. Smart, classy gentleman.

This organization misses him a lot. So do I.

Hall Of Fame
    Someone has been swallowing everything Rex has been forcing down his throat.

He was good in the wildcat. In terms of STs there isn't much of a difference between him and McKnight.

Bills overpaid for him. But perhaps we could have gotten him for cheaper if Tanny didn't waste his time restructuring contracts and/or chasing Aso.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Someone has been swallowing everything Rex has been forcing down his throat.

He was good in the wildcat. In terms of STs there isn't much of a difference between him and McKnight.

Bills overpaid for him. But perhaps we could have gotten him for cheaper if Tanny didn't waste his time restructuring contracts and/or chasing Aso.
    Also, he did absolutely NOTHING in the regular season last year.

16 million nothings.

All League
    he isnt worth it for how much he gets paid. Id of loved to have him back, but it would have had to been at the right price.

All League
    Pretty sure Bills fans would trade him back in an instant for a decent draft pick. He isn't worth half of what they pay him for his production.

Smith makes 4 million, Tebow makes 2.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    Smith makes 4 million, Tebow makes 2.
    It's a fair point.

Once in a while you come across players that have specific talents, maybe not all world talents but they are very good in specific roles. Brad Smith is one of those people. When you combine that talent with integrity, it is always of tremendous value to a team.

Knock Brad Smith all you want but he never ever complained, he gave 100% of his talents, you never read about him in the the crime blotter. Those are the kind of players that are essential role players along with the more talented players that are key conponents in any teams journey to a super bowl title.

Why would you even compare TT and smith?

Yet again we let an "excellent" special teams player (chad morton anyone) get signed to a huge contract an easily replaced them....putting mcknight in the pro bowl as a returner.

Smith was a great player for us in his role, and was drastically overpaid by buffalo. End of discussion, smart move by the FO

All League
    2 million is huge difference. teams will let their best players walk over a 2 mil a year difference. if we could have him for 2, we would of kept him. plain and simple.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    2 million is huge difference. teams will let their best players walk over a 2 mil a year difference. if we could have him for 2, we would of kept him. plain and simple.
    sad when left but Bills overpaid.

Smith is a kick returner, receiver and
    running back, his value should be determined
    by his yds per carry, catches, and returns,
    and because you have to prepare for him
    specifically, he is worth every penny.

the bills don't know how to use him,
    but he did catch a few passes last
    year. he was also underutilized as a
    Jet by Schot

I hope we get him back, tebo gonna split
    when contract up

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Jets really got the most out of Brad Smith. He was so productive. And then we made a wise decision and didn't resign him. Maybe he'll be a Jet again like Randle El with Pitt.

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Jet Fan View Post
    Smith is a kick returner, receiver and
    running back, his value should be determined
    by his yds per carry, catches, and returns,
    and because you have to prepare for him
    specifically, he is worth every penny.

the bills don't know how to use him,
    but he did catch a few passes last
    year. he was also underutilized as a
    Jet by Schot

I hope we get him back, tebo gonna split
    when contract up
    After last year the Bills realized they were not using Brad right that is the reason they brought in David Lee the true architect of the wildcat in Miami. I expect a big year out of Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    I don't care what anyone says, we took a HUGE (talent) hit when this guy left. He just made a great play on ST against Pit. Please don't tell me we now have TT. He is not in Smith's league.

I wish he did not go to a division hated rival like Crappalo. He was one of my favorite Jets when he was here, he could do everything, and do it well. Smart, classy gentleman.

This organization misses him a lot. So do I.

Tebow is not in Smith's league?? It is sort of bad comparison because besides them both running the wildcat for the Jets. Number 1 - You've yet to see ONE single play from Tebow in the wildcat for the NYJ. Number 2 - There different players. Smith does some things better than Tebow ever will. Tebow does some things better than Smith ever will.

My belief is that TT is every bit an addition that Brad Smith ever was. He's already familiar with the NFL, so he's got a leg up on Brad Smith who we had to live through his growing pains as a young, inexperienced player when he was here. TT has a knack for "big plays". Whether, you care to admit that or not, you know it's true. He'll bring that ability to a very unimpressive ST game just last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Tebow is not in Smith's league?? It is sort of bad comparison because besides them both running the wildcat for the Jets. Number 1 - You've yet to see ONE single play from Tebow in the wildcat for the NYJ. Number 2 - There different players. Smith does some things better than Tebow ever will. Tebow does some things better than Smith ever will.

My belief is that TT is every bit an addition that Brad Smith ever was. He's already familiar with the NFL, so he's got a leg up on Brad Smith who we had to live through his growing pains as a young, inexperienced player when he was here. TT has a knack for "big plays". Whether, you care to admit that or not, you know it's true. He'll bring that ability to a very unimpressive ST game just last season.
    Tebow is a monster, and will be able to get short yards that Brad Smith can't. The reason for that is that Tebow is a better passer than Smith (yes, that changes everything for the defenses).

Some things Smith does better, but Tebow is a very capable player, especially if we're talking about Wildcat, etc.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    sad when left but Bills overpaid.
    no question about it.

Why is every former Jets player who was even half decent suddenly a superstar that the organization mistakenly let go?

This is how a capped league works. Players have good contract years. You can't keep everybody. If another team that plays up in Canada wants to overpay a decent player like Smith, you can't outbid them for the sake of sentimentality.

Smith is a QB who can't throw, and/or a WR who can't catch. He filled a nice role in a gimmick set that NFL teams had really yet to fully figure out. He was a good special teams player. He returned kicks very well under Westhoff...but so did Chad Morton, Justin Miller, Leon Washington, Joe McKnight, Antonio Cromartie, etc.

Paying whatever he makes now for a gimmicky special teams player is exactly the type of mistake I'm glad Tannenbaum avoided.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Why is every former Jets player who was even half decent suddenly a superstar that the organization mistakenly let go?

This is how a capped league works. Players have good contract years. You can't keep everybody. If another team that plays up in Canada wants to overpay a decent player like Smith, you can't outbid them for the sake of sentimentality.

Smith is a QB who can't throw, and/or a WR who can't catch. He filled a nice role in a gimmick set that NFL teams had really yet to fully figure out. He was a good special teams player. He returned kicks very well under Westhoff...but so did Chad Morton, Justin Miller, Leon Washington, Joe McKnight, Antonio Cromartie, etc.

Paying whatever he makes now for a gimmicky special teams player is exactly the type of mistake I'm glad Tannenbaum avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    How would they have possibly gotten him cheaper? The Jets had a value of Brad Smith in mind, the Bills paid a lot more, end of story.

I'd take Pryor over both of them if all we want is a Wildcat QB.

Better runner than Tebow, better thrower than Smith.