Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: Brad Smith

  1. #21
    overpaying for a WR who can't catch is almost as dumb as trading for a QB who can't throw.


    oh wait.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    overpaying for a WR who can't catch is almost as dumb as trading for a QB who can't throw.


    oh wait.

    I still say Buff should have used him at BU QB.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Tebow is a monster, and will be able to get short yards that Brad Smith can't. The reason for that is that Tebow is a better passer than Smith (yes, that changes everything for the defenses).

    Some things Smith does better, but Tebow is a very capable player, especially if we're talking about Wildcat, etc.
    Were you planning on preaching to the choir?

    That is exactly what I'm saying. Besides, the similarity of running the wildcat, they are very different players. Smith fast and elusive. Tebow, very cerebral and physical.

    Brad Smith was a great player for us and I agree with Ash that losing him really hurt the offense last season.

    But gaining TT allows us to be back in the supplemental offense business. TT will run the wildcat and they'll be things that he can do that Brad Smith would never be able to do. The wildcat will be curtailed to Tebow's strengths and what he does the best. He'll also bring that "big play" ability to the wildcat. Right now, no one thinks the wildcat can be a big play or game breaking play. Tebow could stand to change that.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    It's a fair point.

    Once in a while you come across players that have specific talents, maybe not all world talents but they are very good in specific roles. Brad Smith is one of those people. When you combine that talent with integrity, it is always of tremendous value to a team.

    Knock Brad Smith all you want but he never ever complained, he gave 100% of his talents, you never read about him in the the crime blotter. Those are the kind of players that are essential role players along with the more talented players that are key conponents in any teams journey to a super bowl title.
    IMHO, Westoff's ego got in the way. He had a stretch of players who had success running back kick offs and punts and most likely thought that Brad Smith was easily replaceable.

    Sadly Woody's JETS do not value players who never complain, give 100% of their talents, and never read about them in the the crime blotter.

    I often wonder if they allowed Brad Smith to throw how effective he would have been. From game film at Missouri, he did not look as bad as he is perceived.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    IMHO, Westoff's ego got in the way. He had a stretch of players who had success running back kick offs and punts and most likely thought that Brad Smith was easily replaceable.

    Sadly Woody's JETS do not value players who never complain, give 100% of their talents, and never read about them in the the crime blotter.

    I often wonder if they allowed Brad Smith to throw how effective he would have been. From game film at Missouri, he did not look as bad as he is perceived.
    He was easily replaceable on as the kick returner. You don't pay a non-factor at WR 4M per season to run the wildcat and return punts (the two places where he had real on-field value)

  6. #26
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Upper East Side
    Posts
    6,823
    Am I the only person who thinks Brad Smith was a pretty big disappointment? The guy was drafted to be a WR and never converted successfully for that role. We were looking for an Antwaan Randle-El type player and we got a special teams ace who could run the wildcat.

    Great guy, sad to see him go, but Buffalo basically paid him for what he was supposed to be when he was drafted (versatile third receiver) instead of what he actually became.

  7. #27
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,065
    That's how he signs pics, gay.

  8. #28
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,749
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Tebow is a monster, and will be able to get short yards that Brad Smith can't. The reason for that is that Tebow is a better passer than Smith (yes, that changes everything for the defenses).

    Some things Smith does better, but Tebow is a very capable player, especially if we're talking about Wildcat, etc.
    Agreed. I like the fact that Tebow is a big guy who can run and is tough to get down with one defender! He will help wear down defenses late in games. That might open up the deep passing lanes for Sanchez, Holmes, Hill etc. I expect Sanchez to step up to the next level this year with the help of Tebow. They are both Jets and GO JETS!

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    He was easily replaceable on as the kick returner. You don't pay a non-factor at WR 4M per season to run the wildcat and return punts (the two places where he had real on-field value)
    Yes, I would agree that the Bills overpaid for him. I think we might have resigned Brad Smith for for less if Tanny didn't waste his time restructuring contracts chasing Aso. Again, as great as Aso is/was, he was a player we didnt need.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    Were you planning on preaching to the choir?

    That is exactly what I'm saying. Besides, the similarity of running the wildcat, they are very different players. Smith fast and elusive. Tebow, very cerebral and physical.

    Brad Smith was a great player for us and I agree with Ash that losing him really hurt the offense last season.

    But gaining TT allows us to be back in the supplemental offense business. TT will run the wildcat and they'll be things that he can do that Brad Smith would never be able to do. The wildcat will be curtailed to Tebow's strengths and what he does the best. He'll also bring that "big play" ability to the wildcat. Right now, no one thinks the wildcat can be a big play or game breaking play. Tebow could stand to change that.
    Relax, I was agreeing with you. We're all so edgy on here. LOL.

    I also think a large part of the offense still hasn't been unveiled. I hope it's not as gimmick based as some people believe it is.

  11. #31
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,260
    ... silly topic ...


    ... jets FO did exactly the correct move letting him go for that price ...








    l_j_r

  12. #32
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    The Logical Side of Your Brain
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Yes, I would agree that the Bills overpaid for him. I think we might have resigned Brad Smith for for less if Tanny didn't waste his time restructuring contracts chasing Aso. Again, as great as Aso is/was, he was a player we didnt need.

    What in the world makes anyone think that the Jets could've gotten him for less? The restructuring and chasing Aso comments are ridiculous. No player, in the NFL, is going to take $2 million less, per year, on their first free agent contract. These guys have a small window, to make as much money as they can. His value to the Jets, as a ST player, part time WR and wildcat specialist, was around $2 million..... VERY fair market price, for what he contributed. Buffalo paid him as a 2nd/3rd WR, for double the money..... the Jets wouldn't of, and shouldn't of paid him the same way..... they knew what they were getting....... Buffalo hoped.

    By the way, the decision to let Smith walk.... was made before Aso was pursued.
    Last edited by Laxman; 08-26-2012 at 11:53 AM.

  13. #33
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,639
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    I don't care what anyone says, we took a HUGE (talent) hit when this guy left. He just made a great play on ST against Pit. Please don't tell me we now have TT. He is not in Smith's league.

    I wish he did not go to a division hated rival like Crappalo. He was one of my favorite Jets when he was here, he could do everything, and do it well. Smart, classy gentleman.

    This organization misses him a lot. So do I.


    He signed an autograph for you. I can understand the man-love associated with that.

    Have you taken the time to evaluate the salary and cap hit situation? He's making about $4M to be a ST's player and occasional wildcat? He's worth that? Did you see what he did last year?

    Tebow is counting almost half the money and he's a lot harder to bring down.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Relax, I was agreeing with you. We're all so edgy on here. LOL.

    I also think a large part of the offense still hasn't been unveiled. I hope it's not as gimmick based as some people believe it is.
    I wasn't upset. I just thought you were repeating what I already posted.

    But I really agree with what you are saying in this post. As has already been said from the media, the Jets have remained very tight lipped about Tebow and what capacity he'll be used in during the regular season. I think this Tebow experiment could turn out to be pure gold against Buffalo.

    I also do not agree with all of these media hacks who think the Bill are now better than the NYJ. The Bills don't scare me in the least. I think we'll win that game even with Wayne Hunter at RT.

  15. #35
    Brad smith did absolutely nothing for the bills! I actually forgot what team he was on last year as he did nothing!!! Get over it move in he's gone!

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    I don't care what anyone says, we took a HUGE (talent) hit when this guy left
    STOP


    DUMP

  17. #37
    [QUOTE=ASH_1962;4564343]I don't care what anyone says, we took a HUGE (talent) hit when this guy left. He just made a great play on ST against Pit. Please don't tell me we now have TT. He is not in Smith's league.
    /QUOTE]

    We are definitely missing him, but he's gone and Joe's not doing that bad. He'll get better.

  18. #38
    Really bro? Brad Smith would be the solution to our problems?

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by HitSomeone41 View Post
    Really bro? Brad Smith would be the solution to our problems?
    It is unreal the amount of man-love this clown actually gets from some Jets fans. Brad Smith made a play on special teams in preseason and threads are being started about it? Really? LOL

    Brad Smith has had charmed life. I have to give him credit he is good at absolutely nothing yet treated like Mr Jack of All Trades.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by jetman6 View Post
    Brad smith did absolutely nothing for the bills! I actually forgot what team he was on last year as he did nothing!!! Get over it move in he's gone!
    Didn't do anything for the Jets either.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us