Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DeCastro playing issues continue with injury

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

DeCastro playing issues continue with injury

DeCastro has gotten a lot of slack for being "soft" since he's been in Steeler camp. I know there's been a lot of second guessing that we should have drafted this guy, but his problems have continued with an injury tonight. I hope it's not serious (for his sake), but you have to wonder why the guy has gotten beaten up (almost literally) since he's been a professional.

According to WGR 550 Buffalo's Joe Buscaglia, Steelers rookie RG David DeCastro exited Ralph Wilson Stadium Saturday night on crutches and with a "big brace" on his injured right knee.

"Doesn't look good," observed Buscaglia, a Bills beat reporter covering Saturday's preseason game against the Steelers. We don't want to jump to any irresponsible conclusions, but the initial indications suggest DeCastro's injury could be season-threatening. The Steelers should have an update by Sunday. Per Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Gerry Dulac, the organization initially fears DeCastro has torn his right ACL.

Source: Joe Buscaglia on Twitter

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE:

NFL.com reports that Steelers rookie RG David DeCastro has damage to both his right ACL and MCL and will be out "awhile."

Source: NFL.com
    It's a shame that the guy's career is starting off this way. I actually wanted to draft him (along with many others on here), and was rooting for him to succeed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damage to his ACL? It's either torn or it's not. MCLs usually heal on their own but that ACL is gonna be a problem, even if its just a partial tear. I have had both full and partial tears to my ACL and both required surgery. The partial tear was a simple arthroscopic procedure where they just cut away the torn area but I still needed PT for 2 months. Unless the tear is ridiculously small his season is probably done.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jgrlica3 View Post
    Damage to his ACL? It's either torn or it's not. MCLs usually heal on their own but that ACL is gonna be a problem, even if its just a partial tear. I have had both full and partial tears to my ACL and both required surgery. The partial tear was a simple arthroscopic procedure where they just cut away the torn area but I still needed PT for 2 months. Unless the tear is ridiculously small his season is probably done.

That's awful. This guy was struggling, TBH. Not awful, but not living up to the expectations put on him (second coming of Faneca, etc.).

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jgrlica3 View Post
    Ever heard of a sprain?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sprains are torn ligaments.

At least that's what my doctor told me when I tore three ligaments in my ankle last year.
    Last edited by chops44; 08-26-2012 at 12:12 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfansocal View Post
    Ever heard of a sprain?
    Of course. In fact a complete tear is classified as a grade 3 sprain. I'm not going to pretend to be a doctor but I've never heard the words "ACL" and "heal without surgery" in the same sentence. Perhaps someone on this board with a sports medicine background can chime in but in my opinion the initial diagnosis does not bode well for him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can only imagine the countless whining threads there would have been if we had drafted him and he had the camp issues and injury he's had.

Hope the injury isn't too serious.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a shame his life in the NFL starts out like this. That said, I'm even happier that we took Coples. Seems like the top prospects from the draft have been non-existent.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I can only imagine the countless whining threads there would have been if we had drafted him and he had the camp issues and injury he's had.

We have the best OL coach in the NFL. And he has a ring. DeCastro would be All-Pro by now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post

Same with Ingram.

I don't wish injury on anyone, but if a silver-lining is we don't have to hear Coples comparisons all year I'll take it . . .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's funny, many (including myself) were fairly confident this guy was as close of a lock as you could get in the first round, and even he's struggling to adjust.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't go too crazy til we get out of the preseason here guys...we have a hard hitting, week 3 preseason game to get through tonight...keep your fingers crossed

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    August 26, 2012 Steelers first-round pick David DeCastro has a torn medial collateral ligament but the team is unsure whether he tore his anterior cruciate ligament. DeCastro is scheduled to undergo an MRI at lunchtime to determine the severity of the injury. If it's just a torn MCL, he would be expected to miss about half of this season. If it's a torn MCL and ACL he likely would miss the full season.

.....Adam Schefter

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    It's funny, many (including myself) were fairly confident this guy was as close of a lock as you could get in the first round, and even he's struggling to adjust.
    So did I, Austin. So did all the experts. Even without the injury, he was having significant problems playing.

Hopefully Coples makes us forget not picking DeCastro.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    So did I, Austin. So did all the experts. Even without the injury, he was having significant problems playing.

Hopefully Coples makes us forget not picking DeCastro.
    If he takes what he's doing in the preseason into the regular season, I have no doubts we will forget all about DeCastro and just about everyone else.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    If he takes what he's doing in the preseason into the regular season, I have no doubts we will forget all about DeCastro and just about everyone else.
    +1

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is horrible. I feel terrible for him. Hopefully he can bounce back.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bad luck for DeCastro. It happened on a goal line play when an opposing player rolled over the back of his leg. Nothing you can do about that.

The injury reminds me how pointless these pre-season games are (other than making $$ for the owners). All the games do is expose players to injury when the results don't even count.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This has nothing to do with DeCastro getting hurt, and I've said this before and I'll say it again... Taking Offensive Guards in the 1st round is retarded.