Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost had amnesia *****es! Heading to the Northfork Wine Country tomorrow

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    I have been anti-Reisling since I was in high school because it was so cloyingly sweet, haven't had any since then. Had an incredibly crisp, dry and refreshing Reisling at Peconic Vineyards, bought a few bottles, may serve it at the Hampur Union (to the non-swillites).

Am sitting at Bedell now overlooking the massive vineyard enjoying the Malbec and the 2010 Tasting Red with the GF.

Dinner at North Fork Table & Inn tonite.

Nice relaxing romantic place, this North Shore.

_
    Please report on the North Fork Table and Inn. I've heard good things, but still have not been. Hows the wine list?

Which vineyard were you at? Peconic Bay Vineyards in Cutchogue?

All League
    Bump

Well, we're waiting!

How was the NFTandI?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Bump

Well, we're waiting!

How was the NFTandI?
    Same here - interested to see how it was. Also, if you have any intel, I'm curious to know if Gerry Hayden is still cooking there. I read a while back that he was diagnosed with ALS, I hope he's still doing ok.

The food was very good there when I went, but the desserts are even better. Claudia Fleming was the pastry chef at gramercy during it's heyday (which is not now IMO).

All League
    Been there a couple times now...

Best BnB: Cedar House on the Sound
    Best Dinner: Jedidiah Hawkins
    Best Vineyard: McCall Vineyard and Castello di Borghese--both have phenomenal pinots
    Best Brunch: Love Lane Kitchen
    Best Cheese Shop: The Cheese Shop, Love Lane

That's all I can think of...hope you had fun.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTown View Post
    Been there a couple times now...

Best BnB: Cedar House on the Sound
    Best Dinner: Jedidiah Hawkins
    Best Vineyard: McCall Vineyard and Castello di Borghese--both have phenomenal pinots
    Best Brunch: Love Lane Kitchen
    Best Cheese Shop: The Cheese Shop, Love Lane

That's all I can think of...hope you had fun.
    Where is Jedidiah Hawkins? Haven't heard of them.

Hall Of Fame
    Bump

Well, we're waiting!

How was the NFTandI?
    Great trip—really really cute little town, great food and wine (actually some good beer too), romantic setting, a very New Englandy feel without all the dickheads walking around with Patriot jerseys and Red Sox hats (actually saw quite a few Jet hats), a much different feel than the South Fork and Montauk/Hamptons—much less beachy/sandy and much more lush and green. Hilly, but not as hilly as I would imagine Worchester is.

Stayed at the Harborfront Inn in Greenport—would definitely stay there again if (when) we go back. Right in the middle of town, walking distance to all the shops and some pretty good restaurants.

North Fork Table & Inn was outstanding, we did the 3 course tasting menu (because you could choose options—the 5 course tasting menu was set—kind of off-putting), where I had the most delicious food I had the whole time I was there—the Fresh Italian Summer Risotto as an appetizer. Freaking unbelievable—otherworldly it was so good. Also had the Butter Poached Maine Lobster with Baby Bok Choy, Shiitake and an Asian broth—outstanding. The GF did the Beets with Goat Cheese (it’s her favorite) and Poached Salmon—also very good. She did the Chocolate Cheesecake which was awesome, but me not being a dessert eater—I did the cheese plate and it was stanky great.

Ate at The Lobster Roll (Northside), good lobster roll, but considering it’s “world famous”, I have to insist not nearly as good as mine. Actually, the one we had in Greenport (at The Loft) was even better. Had raw oysters with cocktails a few times at Claudio’s right on the water, drinks late one night at the Blue Canoe while listening to a concert on the green, also did dinner and Porto Bello’s and A’lure both of which were really good.

On the vineyard front, easily the best was Bedell. The Musee was awesome, the Malbec was great and the GF liked the 2010 Tasting Red a lot. We also hit Peconic Bay, where I had a dry Reisling and I loved it, crisp and refreshing and the GF loved their oaky Chard. And I’m not a Merlot fan, but gotta say, their’s was very good. We also hit Duck Walk for their Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier but their Sav Blanc was actually a little oaky which was a bit weird. And I had to stop in at Pugliese because they were the only vineyard that had a Sangiovese (not such a great vineyard).

Thanks for all the recommendations.

The Lobster Roll

Claudio's

Peconic Bay at dusk

View from Harborfront Inn

Bedell Vineyard

_

Hall Of Fame
    Bedell barrels

Malbec and Musee

Peconic Vineyard Wine Tasting

Duck Walk Vineyard

Beach

_

Hall Of Fame
    The local brew

Bedell Tasting Red

Osprey in Nest (couldn't get closer--he freaked)

Old carousel in the middle of town

Chenin Blanc at dusk

_

All League
    Great trip—really really cute little town, great food and wine (actually some good beer too), romantic setting, a very New Englandy feel without all the dickheads walking around with Patriot jerseys and Red Sox hats (actually saw quite a few Jet hats), a much different feel than the South Fork and Montauk/Hamptons—much less beachy/sandy and much more lush and green. Hilly, but not as hilly as I would imagine Worchester is.

Stayed at the Harborfront Inn in Greenport—would definitely stay there again if (when) we go back. Right in the middle of town, walking distance to all the shops and some pretty good restaurants.

North Fork Table & Inn was outstanding, we did the 3 course tasting menu (because you could choose options—the 5 course tasting menu was set—kind of off-putting), where I had the most delicious food I had the whole time I was there—the Fresh Italian Summer Risotto as an appetizer. Freaking unbelievable—otherworldly it was so good. Also had the Butter Poached Maine Lobster with Baby Bok Choy, Shiitake and an Asian broth—outstanding. The GF did the Beets with Goat Cheese (it’s her favorite) and Poached Salmon—also very good. She did the Chocolate Cheesecake which was awesome, but me not being a dessert eater—I did the cheese plate and it was stanky great.

Ate at The Lobster Roll (Northside), good lobster roll, but considering it’s “world famous”, I have to insist not nearly as good as mine. Actually, the one we had in Greenport (at The Loft) was even better. Had raw oysters with cocktails a few times at Claudio’s right on the water, drinks late one night at the Blue Canoe while listening to a concert on the green, also did dinner and Porto Bello’s and A’lure both of which were really good.

On the vineyard front, easily the best was Bedell. The Musee was awesome, the Malbec was great and the GF liked the 2010 Tasting Red a lot. We also hit Peconic Bay, where I had a dry Reisling and I loved it, crisp and refreshing and the GF loved their oaky Chard. And I’m not a Merlot fan, but gotta say, their’s was very good. We also hit Duck Walk for their Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier but their Sav Blanc was actually a little oaky which was a bit weird. And I had to stop in at Pugliese because they were the only vineyard that had a Sangiovese (not such a great vineyard).

Thanks for all the recommendations.

_
    Sounds like you had a great time. I've got to go to the NFTandI next year. Really sounds good.

I was at The Loft in July. Had the local brew and mahi-mahi tacos. Delicious. Haven't eaten at A'lure in two years, but it was fantastic two years ago. Used to be the Seafood Barge.

And I used to live about a mile as the crow flies from Peconic Bay Vineyards. Everything there is on cesspools. There's probably a good chance you drank a molecule of my pisswater in your wine. Ha!

Hall Of Fame
    Sounds like you had a great time. I've got to go to the NFTandI next year. Really sounds good.

I was at The Loft in July. Had the local brew and mahi-mahi tacos. Delicious. Haven't eaten at A'lure in two years, but it was fantastic two years ago. Used to be the Seafood Barge.
    And I used to live about a mile as the crow flies from Peconic Bay Vineyards. Everything there is on cesspools. There's probably a good chance you drank a molecule of my pisswater in your wine. Ha!
    I had the Blackened Mahi Mahi BLT at The Loft--that photo with the Greenport Ale was at The loft.

We went to A'lure on your recommendation--was really very good. Sat outside on the water.

Thanks for the urine imagery. Was probably in an oaky chard. Wow, do I hate those.

_

JS: As always, beautifully told and photographed. Glad you and your lady had a great time.

Jets Insider VIP

Thanks for the nightmares.

All League
    I had the Blackened Mahi Mahi BLT at The Loft--that photo with the Greenport Ale was at The loft.

We went to A'lure on your recommendation--was really very good. Sat outside on the water.

Thanks for the urine imagery. Was probably in an oaky chard. Wow, do I hate those.

_
    BTW, how do you broach that with the GF?

"Where are we going to go for dinner tonight, babe?"

"Well, some royal asshat on that website you hate that I'm always uploading pictures to said A'lure is pretty good. Why don't we try that?"

??

Hall Of Fame

"Well, some royal asshat on that website you hate that I'm always uploading pictures to said A'lure is pretty good. Why don't we try that?"

??
    I just said I'd read good things about it, and since it was on the water, she was totally fine trying it

Was actually very good.

_

Jets Insider VIP

??

LMAO

I can't even say 'a friend of mine' anymore

Me: So a friend of mine said this movie was pretty good.

Wife: What friend?

Me: You know...this guy...

Wife: From that stupid site?

Me: ...

Wife: Well?

Me: yes

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    LMAO

LOLz!

Instead of "a friend of mine", try "this guy the other day was saying...". That way, you might be able to pawn it off as someone at work...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    LMAO

Yeah, I just played golf with nyjetscap2 yesterday. Or, as my wife refers to him "your boyfriend from your message board."

If im ever laughing whilst on my iPad, it's "someone making fun of the short guy again?"

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Yeah, I just played golf with nyjetscap2 yesterday. Or, as my wife refers to him "your boyfriend from your message board."

If im ever laughing whilst on my iPad, it's "someone making fun of the short guy again?"
    WTF.

_

All League
    I just said I'd read good things about it, and since it was on the water, she was totally fine trying it

Was actually very good.

_
    "Oh? Where'd you read about it?"

"The Zagat Hampur."

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    "A lot of dicks here"

+

"this guy gets it"

=

"this guy gets a lot of dicks"