Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John Connor on the Bubble?

John Connor on the Bubble?

Jets FB John Conner is not assured of a spot on the team's 53-man roster.

TE Josh Baker is a lock to make the team and can play the position. ESPN New York's Rich Cimini points to the diminishing role of the fullback as the reason why Conner may not stick, but the Jets intend in relying heavily on the run. It would be a moderate surprise if the "Terminator" was waived.

Related: Josh Baker
    Source: ESPN New York Aug 26 - 11:47 AM
    Many have been predicting this. Do you guys feel Baker can be that guy in this offense? JC doesn't fit Sparano's offense. Will Rex allow this?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Many have been predicting this. Do you guys feel Baker can be that guy in this offense? JC doesn't fit Sparano's offense. Will Rex allow this?
    I would love Baker to have a bigger role. He's more in the mold of a Richie Anderson and he will help the offense alot. Connor lost his job when he couldn't pick up the short yardage we needed against the Giants. Its no coincidence that when T-Rich retired our run game took a hit. Connor is an average run blocker and no threat at all to defenses.

To this point, I've been disappointed in Connor. He has been no where near the player T-Rich was. Also with Sparano now our OC, the fullback position may not be quite a significant as it was when Schotty was here.

Quote Originally Posted by Choon328 View Post
    I would love Baker to have a bigger role. He's more in the mold of a Richie Anderson and he will help the offense alot. Connor lost his job when he couldn't pick up the short yardage we needed against the Giants. Its no coincidence that when T-Rich retired our run game took a hit. Connor is an average run blocker and no threat at all to defenses.
    I agree with this. JC isn't right here with the new system.

Veteran
    They can say A LOT by cutting Conner.

Mediocrity will not be tolerated, "Rex's guys" are not untouchable, they have faith in the guys they keep.

He just hasn't shown enough to keep him, IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    I agree. Poor blocking isn't a tolerable trait in a FB.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I agree with this. JC isn't right here with the new system.
    Agreed. Further his blocking is not as great as rex has stated. He is no TRich. Baker can catch and he is a decent blocker and tough as nails. Its time for JC to leave.

He hasn't done a thing since Hard Knocks

ill believe it when i see it

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    You do have a point there bit. He is one of REX's picks so he could be safe. Leberfeld had a blub in his JC. he said "if you think the best 53 players are on the team, you are mistaken". He was citing the play of riley at WR in camp. He apparently was very good but never mentioned by Rex. He seldom gets teh ball in preseason games for sure. I think Baker has proven to be a better all around player then Conner this preseason.

When they are trying LB Bellore at FB in Practice it ain't a Good sign...

Since we traded for a FB, I'd say Conner is all but terminated.

Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet View Post
    When they are trying LB Bellore at FB in Practice it ain't a Good sign...
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

But wait, didn't Rex see him make a nice block when he was in college?

He should be cut.Fullback is a dying position right now unless you are a great one...which Connor is not

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    But wait, didn't Rex see him make a nice block when he was in college?
    So did I.

In high school.

He sucks

I've seen Baker whiff on as many blocks as Connor has. Baker has better hands though and can line up at TE. Its a tough call on this one. The short yardage stuffs from Connor in Giants game wasn't really all his fault, the O line got no push and the Giants are pretty dam good at stuffing short runs. Just ask Mike Smith. He's probably making the 53 by default but if someone better gets cut from around the league, I'd hope Tanny doesn't hesitate to show him the door.

All League
    I really don't have an opinion because I don't know his value to Westhoff. If its not much, then he should be cut.