Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL.com blog: "GM Mike Tannenbaum's job in jeopardy?"

NFL.com blog: "GM Mike Tannenbaum's job in jeopardy?"

The guy makes a good point about how the Jets treat struggling players. Whether it's Sanchez or Hunter, publicly stating loyalty and saying everything is fine doesn't help the player or the team. It's almost the same thing as a Super Bowl prediction.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/08/26/nine...content_stream

1. Is there a better place to start than the New York Jets? Oh, and for a spoiler alert, we’re not talking about Tim Tebow right off the bat. So… you might not be interested. But anyway, we’ll talk about the Jets issues at right tackle. What a mess. Wayne Hunter, who the coaches praised all offseason, was benched after two horrific performances in preseason games. Duh. Even he said, “I was waiting for it.” I imagine this makes for a bit of an awkward time for OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo, who said this spring that until they kick him out of the building or “until they shoot me dead in my office, that son of a gun is going to be the starting right tackle and he’s going to play well.” Sounds like none of that is happening. Instead, it’s going to be somebody named Austin Howard from Northern Iowa. Of course, this raises significant questions. I have many of ‘em.

Like… How can you praise Hunter so publicly and effusively, when you know what he is? That’s not giving him confidence, because he knows what he is, too. He’s a third tackle. Even Hunter, listening to it, had to know it was garbage. I don’t see NFL players responding well — or raising their level of play — with mind games that they know are fake. And this answer, inserting Howard, may help. But it’s not a long-term solution. If Howard was better than Hunter, he’d have been in there in the first place. Remember, there wasn’t a right tackle competition. It was Hunter’s job, until it wasn’t. I asked a high-ranking personnel guy in the league who the Jets could trade for at right tackle. His answer? “No clue.” Me either. There’s no Bryant McKinnie floating around this year, which doesn’t bode well for the Jets. Oh, and one more thing. GM Mike Tannenbaum, who has done an excellent job building the Jets over the past few years, is starting to come under criticism. Guaranteeing Hunter $2.5 million this year doesn’t look good, neither does not targeting a tackle in the draft or free agency. The lack of attention at receiver looks bad, too. Tannenbaum has

And here...we...go...

Not addressing the RT issue this offseason is a legit criticism of Jets FO/mgmt. Bad job imo.

Having said that, I highly doubt Tanny's job is in jeopardy. The only way that happens is if this season impoldes and the Tebow effect takes over. If that happens, it is a situation Tanny and Rex created and, unfortunately, if it costs them their job, that's is the price they will pay for this egregious gamble.

Rex will be thrown under the bus before Tanny's job is in jeopardy. Bank on that.

Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    Rex will be thrown under the bus before Tanny's job is in jeopardy. Bank on that.
    GMs don't typically get to hire 3 different head coaches when they don't win a superbowl so that would be interesting.

I don't think Tanny's job is in any real jeopardy. The owner has to fire the GM, and Woody likes Tanny.

Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    Not addressing the RT issue this offseason is a legit criticism of Jets FO/mgmt. Bad job imo.

Having said that, I highly doubt Tanny's job is in jeopardy. The only way that happens is if this season impoldes and the Tebow effect takes over. If that happens, it is a situation Tanny and Rex created and, unfortunately, if it costs them their job, that's is the price they will pay for this egregious gamble.
    His job should 100% be in jeopardy. You can't misread your own players to this degree and still hold your job. You are tasked with building a team to match the coaching philosophy of your head coach. Your head coach wants an offense that runs the ball well. As the GM you have the free agent period and the draft to upgrade the following:

1. RB
    2. RT
    3. Blocking TE

With less then two weeks remaining until the season begins you have not meaningfully addressed any of the above. He let the entire offseason go by without procuring talent to solve those pivotal positions. He either misread his own player talent (which is unforgivable considering you get to see them practice every day) or did not allocate the resources necessary to responsibly fill them.

Either way, if the Jets have a bad season he should 100% be held responsible.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I don't think Tanny's job is in any real jeopardy. The owner has to fire the GM, and Woody likes Tanny.
    Exactly. IMO, assuming things don't work out, Tanny gets at least one more HC and Rex probably gets one more QB.

But that doesn't mean I won't be part of the "Fire Tanny" brigade.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Exactly. IMO, assuming things don't work out, Tanny gets at least one more HC and Rex probably gets one more QB.

But that doesn't mean I won't be part of the "Fire Tanny" brigade.
    so that would mean he will get to hire his fourth head coach as GM? I just want to know where he is hiding his Super Bowl rings to be able to survive hiring four coaches (over the span of about 12 years) after the first three were fired.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 08-26-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jxc View Post
    The guy makes a good point about how the Jets treat struggling players. Whether it's Sanchez or Hunter, publicly stating loyalty and saying everything is fine doesn't help the player or the team. It's almost the same thing as a Super Bowl prediction.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/08/26/nine...content_stream

1. Is there a better place to start than the New York Jets? Oh, and for a spoiler alert, we’re not talking about Tim Tebow right off the bat. So… you might not be interested. But anyway, we’ll talk about the Jets issues at right tackle. What a mess. Wayne Hunter, who the coaches praised all offseason, was benched after two horrific performances in preseason games. Duh. Even he said, “I was waiting for it.” I imagine this makes for a bit of an awkward time for OL coach Dave DeGuglielmo, who said this spring that until they kick him out of the building or “until they shoot me dead in my office, that son of a gun is going to be the starting right tackle and he’s going to play well.” Sounds like none of that is happening. Instead, it’s going to be somebody named Austin Howard from Northern Iowa. Of course, this raises significant questions. I have many of ‘em.

Like… How can you praise Hunter so publicly and effusively, when you know what he is? That’s not giving him confidence, because he knows what he is, too. He’s a third tackle. Even Hunter, listening to it, had to know it was garbage. I don’t see NFL players responding well — or raising their level of play — with mind games that they know are fake. And this answer, inserting Howard, may help. But it’s not a long-term solution. If Howard was better than Hunter, he’d have been in there in the first place. Remember, there wasn’t a right tackle competition. It was Hunter’s job, until it wasn’t. I asked a high-ranking personnel guy in the league who the Jets could trade for at right tackle. His answer? “No clue.” Me either. There’s no Bryant McKinnie floating around this year, which doesn’t bode well for the Jets. Oh, and one more thing. GM Mike Tannenbaum, who has done an excellent job building the Jets over the past few years, is starting to come under criticism. Guaranteeing Hunter $2.5 million this year doesn’t look good, neither does not targeting a tackle in the draft or free agency. The lack of attention at receiver looks bad, too. Tannenbaum has
    Hey Warfish,

I guess all this is just more people with very unrealistic measures of perfection, right?

Hall Of Fame
    Of course the GM's job should be in jeopardy. We are in year seven for God's sake. The GM is the CEO of the organization and the organization is a mess.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    so that would mean he will get to hire his fourth head coach as GM? I just want to know where he is hiding his Super Bowl rings to be able to survive hiring four coaches (over the span of about 12 years) after the first three were fired.
    Tannenbaum became GM in 2006, he's hired Mangini and Rex

Hall Of Fame
    At least one more HC. BTW I think Rex is only his second HC. He was promoted to GM in 2006 if I am not mistaken.

Only thing that would speed up the process would be if Woody started to hemorrhage money. And that is never going to happen. Even the worst teams are profitable and the new TV money will only make them richer.

Woody stays out of the football side of things. Unless there is a business/football decision that needs to be made like Favre/Sanchez/Tebow. Other than that he is very hands off. He has Neil Glat, that runs the business side of things. And Tanny runs the football side. Woody just cashes the checks.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 08-26-2012 at 03:30 PM.

His job should 100% be in jeopardy. You can't misread your own players to this degree and still hold your job. You are tasked with building a team to match the coaching philosophy of your head coach. Your head coach wants an offense that runs the ball well. As the GM you have the free agent period and the draft to upgrade the following:

1. RB
    2. RT
    3. Blocking TE

With less then two weeks remaining until the season begins you have not meaningfully addressed any of the above. He let the entire offseason go by without procuring talent to solve those pivotal positions. He either misread his own player talent (which is unforgivable considering you get to see them practice every day) or did not allocate the resources necessary to responsibly fill them.

Either way, if the Jets have a bad season he should 100% be held responsible.
    Combine the above with a number of questionable decisions this off-season:

1. extending Sanchez's contract

2. signing Tebow

3. guaranteeing Hunter's salary

I'd say all three of these were bad ideas.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    At least one more HC. BTW I think Rex is only his second HC. He was promoted to GM in 2006 if I am not mistaken.

Only thing that would speed up the process would be if Woody started to hemorrhage money. And that is never going to happen. Even the worst teams are profitable and the new TV money will only make them richer.

Woody stays out of the football side of things. Unless there is a business/football decision that needs to be made like Favre/Sanchez/Tebow. Other than that he is very hands off. He has Neil Glat, that runs the business side of things. And Tanny runs the football side. Woody just cashes the checks.
    Too bad the players haven't been able to cash the checks that their HC has written over the last year or so.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Tannenbaum became GM in 2006, he's hired Mangini and Rex
    Hmmm and that was from intelligentjetsfan..

Veteran
    Umm we've been competitive for the last 4 years including 2 AFC championship games. You can't fix everything in one offseason and we're miraculously retooling while being competitive. I think Tanny is okay. However, if going into next season we're straight rebuilding then we have reached the end of the Tanny era.

Quote Originally Posted by escamoter2 View Post
    GMs don't typically get to hire 3 different head coaches when they don't win a superbowl so that would be interesting.
    True. But Woody's not like every owner

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Hmmm and that was from intelligentjetsfan..
    I apologize for the mistake. But he still did a piss poor job this offseason.

Its a HardKnocks life..