Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RT cut watch - bringing in guys

All League

RT cut watch - bringing in guys

Just saw that the Seabags released Alex Barron - better that Hunter?

Penalty machine... Think of it like having Hunter but your QB doesn't get killed when you lose 10 yards on a pass play...

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digetydog View Post
    Just saw that the Seabags released Alex Barron - better that Hunter?
    Hunter is done! Is he better than Howard should be the question.
    Last edited by LockeJET; 08-26-2012 at 06:40 PM.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Huner is done! Is he better than Howard should be the question.
    If the Jets can get a starter off the cut list. ... Screwed!

Barron is not worth bringing in, he is beyond awful. Rather go with Howard than get a guy we know is a liability.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Barron is not worth bringing in, he is beyond awful. Rather go with Howard than get a guy we know is a liability.
    Just to be clear, I started the thread with the idea of looking at the RT's that become available.

Barron sat out last year with an injury and got cut early. Probably not even worth bringing in for a look.

the guys that will be interesting when cut will be super raw and not able to help the team right away. for example Brandon Mosely might not make the Giants. But he's got less experience than Howard.

I maintain that the Jets Offensive line is easily top 10 if not top 5 in the league. If you don't believe me, look around. Arizona is a cluster-eff right now with Levi Brown out. Washington is starting Tyler Polumbus at right tackle (memba him?). Tampa Bay just lost Davin Joseph for the year and are replacing him with Ted Larsen.

My point is... it could be worse, alot worse than Brick, Mangold and Moore all Pro Bowlers in 2011. Howard or Hunter either way that player only has to do a decent job and the line is the best part of the Jets offense, by far. How many other parts of the team have 3 pro bowlers? The secondary maybe is the only unit that compares.

side note the Cleveland Browns actually have a really good young OL. their QB stinks so you wouldn't know it but Joe Thomas, Alex Mack etc that is a good unit. Just cause an offense stinks doesn't mean the line stinks too.

and before you say the Pro Bowl is worthless, remember it's 1/3 coaches, 1/3 players, 1/3 fans. It's far from perfect but it's usually a good measurement of who is good in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    the guys that will be interesting when cut will be super raw and not able to help the team right away. for example Brandon Mosely might not make the Giants. But he's got less experience than Howard.

I maintain that the Jets Offensive line is easily top 10 if not top 5 in the league. If you don't believe me, look around. Arizona is a cluster-eff right now with Levi Brown out. Washington is starting Tyler Polumbus at right tackle (memba him?). Tampa Bay just lost Davin Joseph for the year and are replacing him with Ted Larsen.

My point is... it could be worse, alot worse than Brick, Mangold and Moore all Pro Bowlers in 2011. Howard or Hunter either way that player only has to do a decent job and the line is the best part of the Jets offense, by far. How many other parts of the team have 3 pro bowlers? The secondary maybe is the only unit that compares.

side note the Cleveland Browns actually have a really good young OL. their QB stinks so you wouldn't know it but Joe Thomas, Alex Mack etc that is a good unit. Just cause an offense stinks doesn't mean the line stinks too.

and before you say the Pro Bowl is worthless, remember it's 1/3 coaches, 1/3 players, 1/3 fans. It's far from perfect but it's usually a good measurement of who is good in the league.
    The issue has become with the probowl now being before the superbowl, you have the starters of the playing teams getting taken out and being replaced. This isn't even counting guys who are rehabbing/don't wanna play. When someone comes in as the replacement's replacement you can't really use the probowl as an indication of worth.

All Pro

three great, and 1 good player on the OL means NOTHING if the 5th is absolutely dreadful. and hunter was that last year. at best, he was 3rd worst in the NFL. we don't know about howard, but whomever becomes the starting RT needs to be at least average for the OL as a group to be top 10.

All League

The idea that the Jets have a strong OL is simply false. In addition to a questionable starter at RT, the backups have very little in the way of experience or upside.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    The issue has become with the probowl now being before the superbowl, you have the starters of the playing teams getting taken out and being replaced. This isn't even counting guys who are rehabbing/don't wanna play. When someone comes in as the replacement's replacement you can't really use the probowl as an indication of worth.
    Bingo

Garrard the Pro Bowl like two years ago. Andy friggin Dalton made it last year. If not for the horrendous final three games, Sanchez almost made it last year

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Just to be clear, I started the thread with the idea of looking at the RT's that become available.

Barron sat out last year with an injury and got cut early. Probably not even worth bringing in for a look.
    is he really that bad? i havent seen him play
    cant be worse than hunter

The idea that the Jets have a strong OL is simply false. In addition to a questionable starter at RT, the backups have very little in the way of experience or upside.
    4/5 of the current starting OL were in place when the Jets were #1 and #3 in rushing the football 2 and 3 years ago.

It is absolutely valid to say the Jets' issues on the OL are overblown and dramatized, and that the unit save RT is a strong unit.

And how can you say the Jets don't have depth players with upside in players like Ducasse and Schlauderauff? Most depth OL'n don't have experience, and it remains to be seen what moves the Jets make after final cuts this week.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    hunter is realistically probably at least one of the top 5 worst OT's in the league. there's probably lot of backups that are definitely worse than that though

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    Yes he is that bad... Labor day weekend is the time to look for decent players getting cut, right now if you are cut you must be awful.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    4/5 of the current starting OL were in place when the Jets were #1 and #3 in rushing the football 2 and 3 years ago.

It is absolutely valid to say the Jets' issues on the OL are overblown and dramatized, and that the unit save RT is a strong unit.

And how can you say the Jets don't have depth players with upside in players like Ducasse and Schlauderauff? Most depth OL'n don't have experience, and it remains to be seen what moves the Jets make after final cuts this week.
    bit said they are top 10, possibly top 5 as is. no mention of "outside of RT." unfortunately, you HAVE to factor in all 5 players. this isn't like grading the WR's as a group. you can ignore an awful player and just let them be a distraction on the field, but you cannot do that with the OL. they are a group, so unfortunately, that makes them a terrible OL. could it be worse? of course, we could have 5 wayne hunters starting. that would be worse. but that doesn't negate that they are a terrible OL until that 1 position is fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

Gotta disagree with ya on this one. Most people seem to forget how bad brick was last year because he was overshadowed by Hunter being awful and mangold missing time.

Yes 4/5 of the line is still here, but that doesn't mean that the 4/5 are playing at the same level

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    three great, and 1 good player on the OL means NOTHING if the 5th is absolutely dreadful. and hunter was that last year. at best, he was 3rd worst in the NFL. we don't know about howard, but whomever becomes the starting RT needs to be at least average for the OL as a group to be top 10.
    Exactly

Ljr

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by bgivs21 View Post
    Gotta disagree with ya on this one. Most people seem to forget how bad brick was last year because he was overshadowed by Hunter being awful and mangold missing time.

Yes 4/5 of the line is still here, but that doesn't mean that the 4/5 are playing at the same level
    Exactly. They are older and more beat up. Good GM's understand that and gradually bring in guys to replace older players. Unfortunately, Tanny missed on Vlad and refused to use any other picks (or FA money) to fortify the line.

Even if Brick did make the Pro Bowl last year, that was probably a "reputation" vote rather than based upon his actual play.

I love it when a plan comes together.